Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] is Denis Undav the key to unlock the low block?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
or do we need a poundland haaling?

or will potter finally work it out?

:shrug:

i like a shiny, new signing as much as the next chap; but as a potter fanboy, i enjoy watching the monied teams brought to their knees on a shoestring budget.........

but how do we progress?

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Interesting post

I think we can agree that with the addition of the computer and Caicedo and Mac starting to impose himself on games, our midfield is starting to look a lot more creative.

With Undav and Mitoma to add to the mix, I think we will find it easier to deal with teams who sit back in future.

I do not envisage any further forward signings unless Trossard and/or Maupay leave. Maupay more likely.

Undav will do for me

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The key to beating a low block is not having to face one. We must all be grateful to Ralf for being either too arrogant or too stupid to set-up ‘the Amex way’ as that was Manure’s only chance to get points out of us. They left us plenty of space to play in the attacking third, we rarely get this at the Amex.

I think as many as 18 teams could adopt the low block next season as well as West Ham in a couple of weeks.

Quick slick one-touch football can help as will Undav if he can convert more chances than Trossard, Welbeck and Maupay but I think we need to have the ability (like Liverpool & Citeh) to score ‘special goals’ to break teams initially. Goals like the one Caicedo got.

It will be tough but if the likes of Undav, Mac, Mwepu and Caicedo can muster up a long shot or we start scoring regularly from corners we could progress. Once we are 1-0 up, we can then control the game to an extent. We just need to get the first.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With the additions of Mwepu and Cacaido, and the resulting energy and speed in midfield, we seem to have moved away from slow move up to the box and endless fannying around to moving up field on the break a lot more, stretching opponents and also having more variety with our shooting.

Contrast this with BC (before Cacaido/Computer) with, for example, Gross and Lalana in the middle; by the time we did get the ball upfield and have a shot all the inertia had gone, teams had got back, and it was tame and in a tight situation from 6 yards. Wolves are strong defensive team but we took them apart.

I think we have the tools to do much better next season already.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
With the additions of Mwepu and Cacaido, and the resulting energy and speed in midfield, we seem to have moved away from slow move up to the box and endless fannying around to moving up field on the break a lot more, stretching opponents and also having more variety with our shooting.

Contrast this with BC (before Cacaido/Computer) with, for example, Gross and Lalana in the middle; by the time we did get the ball upfield and have a shot all the inertia had gone, teams had got back, and it was tame and in a tight situation from 6 yards. Wolves are strong defensive team but we took them apart.

I think we have the tools to do much better next season already.

Agree with this.

Not that they are bad players, but i think we look a million miles better without Lallana and Moder, because everything is so much quicker

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We progress when we get ‘lucky’ with one of our middle to lower priced strikers. Undav might be the answer - but the league he is playing in is average and obviously no guarantee he hits the ground running. The addition of Mewpu (if he manages to stay fit) and Caicedo will improve us but in order to progress substantially it all comes down to a striker.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tactically imho, and I know people will disagree, but we actually have no problem with the low block - we create plenty of clear chances. Our issue, as it is whether a side comes with a low block or whatever else is converting chances. That seems to have healed itself in the last few games a is a bit of a clear indicator of how it is all about confidence and belief in this group.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tactically imho, and I know people will disagree, but we actually have no problem with the low block - we create plenty of clear chances. Our issue, as it is whether a side comes with a low block or whatever else is converting chances. That seems to have healed itself in the last few games a is a bit of a clear indicator of how it is all about confidence and belief in this group.

I’m pretty sure that neither Wolves or Manure played a low press against us.

Manure’s issue was that they should have used a high press on us but when they tried, it was totally and utterly ineffective. Old boys like Ronaldo and Mata weren’t going to run themselves into the ground like our players do.

West Ham will play a low press at the Amex on the 22nd May, there will be a lot more players in the way when we shoot compared to Wolves and Manure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I agree. We were already creating chances. The difference is we now try our luck from distance and play on the break a bit more. It’s this variety which is helping us.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’ve not seen Undav play but can he score penalties and/or a good free kick from just outside the area? Those are two areas which need improvement. It means a low block side can’t resort to fouling.

If Gross is off we’ll also need someone who can take corners and hit an accurate cross from almost anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is the key to unlock the low block shirley?

61ddfec94ede320018b714c1.jpeg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m pretty sure that neither Wolves or Manure played a low press against us.

Manure’s issue was that they should have used a high press on us but when they tried, it was totally and utterly ineffective. Old boys like Ronaldo and Mata weren’t going to run themselves into the ground like our players do.

West Ham will play a low press at the Amex on the 22nd May, there will be a lot more players in the way when we shoot compared to Wolves and Manure.

I was referring to converting chances specifically rather than what tactics they were against. However, I'd argue Mwepu and Caicedo's goals against Arsenal and MU respectively were from the edge of the area with plenty of defenders covering, both shots went through bodies. We had at least 10 similar chances to those 2 goals against Norwich and fluffed them all (and a pen!), probably some of them slightly easier.

Many teams struggle against a side who's only ambition is to keep the other side out. All I'm saying is I don't see us doing too much wrong against some of these sides other than convert presentable chances. West Ham will be tough, however with Wolves playing ManCity and Liverpool in their final 3 games, West Ham will likely come to us with 7th guaranteed and a chance for 6th if they win - so might not be as cautious as they usually seem to be.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Surely the key to unlocking the low block is to get big Shane Duffy up top, tell him to get his elbows out and remorselessly stick it in the mixer from minute 1 to 90?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I’ve not seen Undav play but can he score penalties and/or a good free kick from just outside the area? Those are two areas which need improvement. It means a low block side can’t resort to fouling.

If Gross is off we’ll also need someone who can take corners and hit an accurate cross from almost anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More or less what I was about to post. We need to convert more free kicks, penalties and corners. That, on its own, would have significantly improved our home record this season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The key to beating a low block is not having to face one. We must all be grateful to Ralf for being either too arrogant or too stupid to set-up ‘the Amex way’ as that was Manure’s only chance to get points out of us. They left us plenty of space to play in the attacking third, we rarely get this at the Amex.

I think as many as 18 teams could adopt the low block next season as well as West Ham in a couple of weeks.

Quick slick one-touch football can help as will Undav if he can convert more chances than Trossard, Welbeck and Maupay but I think we need to have the ability (like Liverpool & Citeh) to score ‘special goals’ to break teams initially. Goals like the one Caicedo got.

It will be tough but if the likes of Undav, Mac, Mwepu and Caicedo can muster up a long shot or we start scoring regularly from corners we could progress. Once we are 1-0 up, we can then control the game to an extent. We just need to get the first.

We need some luck then. Didn’t that shot take a big deflection ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here