Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Weddings during football season

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just don’t do it. Please.

I’ve now missed 2 of Brighton’s greatest ever moments (Doncaster 2-1 and Man United 4-0) so I could sit at a table and make small talk with random people, some of whom I will probably never meet again.

This is an unreasonable and disrespectful rant, but seeing the endless talk of how amazing we were on Saturday is just killing me.

Apologies. I’ll stop now.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A friend of mine (who I know a few other posters will remember) actually arranged his wedding on the day of some Sussex Micky Mouse Cup final. When we won the quarter finals he had to explain to his wife to be what he had foolishly done. I don't know how he managed it, but he got her to agree that he could go to the wedding, leave there, come and play in the cup final and return to his own reception a few hours later, with a few teammates.

We then got beaten in the semis :lolol:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We got married on the day of the Sunderland v Liverpool FA Cup final in 1992. Seemed a reasonable bet that the Albion wouldn’t be involved when we booked it 18 months earlier. One friend didn’t turn up because his girlfriend was a plastic Liverpool fan. Got home from honeymoon to a long handwritten letter of apology from him, which was fair enough really.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
In a way I was glad that we didn't make the play off final in 2016 as I got married the same day. A hell of a lot of money to spend to be a no show.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
We got married on the day of the Sunderland v Liverpool FA Cup final. Seemed a reasonable bet that the Albion wouldn’t be involved when we booked it 18 months earlier. One friend didn’t turn up because his girlfriend was a plastic Liverpool fan. Got home from honeymoon to a long handwritten letter of apology which was fair enough really.

Happy 30th. Got married a week later.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Why on earth would anyone even consider it, get the marriage off on the right foot ...........June is wonderful, both mine were then.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Play Offs is what catches most people out. Schoolboy error regardless. Know a Wycombe fan who is hurriedly rearranging their holiday right now in fact. I wouldn’t sacrifice an Albion big day out or crunch match for anyone. They all know me better than that!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bloke I work with was scheduled to get married in 2020. That didn't happen, obvs, so they tried 2021 in hope that would be the earliest. And picked the day of the Euro's final at Wembley. Apparently the reception consisted of all the blokes in one room with a big screen and all the ladies in another.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I do know somebody that arranged their wedding day on same day as the world cup final.

It was pointed out that if England got to the final, half the guests would be missing.

The bride-to-be refused to believe that would really happen and that people would choose watching a football match over her special day (the groom to be knew straight away he'd taken his eye off the ball and that his wedding would come second to most of his friends - he knew this because he'd have done the same).

After some back and forth she was still refusing to see why anyone would do that and it had to be somewhat brutally pointed that most of the guests had a better chance, statistically, of watching their friend/relative get married again than seeing England in another world cup final.

The date was changed.

A

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No one who wanted me to go to their wedding would have it during the season. I therefore assume that anyone who invites me to a wedding during the football season doesn't really want me there. They tick a box that says, we like him but not enough to move our wedding to the more expensive summer, but we will invite anyway so he doesn't feel left. That works for me as well as other peoples weddings are generally awful for all but close friends and family.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Once went to a mate's wedding in Kent in the Withdean years where he specifically chose a Sunday so it wouldn't clash with a home game. Then the game got switched to the Sunday. Us wedding guests were DISTRAUGHT I tell's thee. Right up to the point where we got beat 4-0 at home...

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
My then girlfriend, now wife’s best friend got married on the 8th May 2010. In Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, in South West Wales. We received the save the date about a year earlier, and it never seemed of any great significance at the time.

In fact, it only re-entered my consciousness on 1st May 2010, a week before. The day of my 25th birthday, incidentally. I was stood outside the Blundell Park ticket office, awaiting a ticket for Burton Albion away the next weekend. We had just beaten Barnet 2-0 at home to take our last ditch attempt at football league survival to the last day. We would have to better Barnet’s result, or find ourselves relegated into non-league for the first time in our history; a fate Brighton fans have dabbled all too closely with.

I got my ticket, looked squarely at the date printed on it, and it dawned on me. Saturday the 8th of May. We lived in Leeds. The wedding was a 250 mile, 6 hour drive from us. The match, another 250 mile schlepp from the wedding. My girlfriend / wife was to be bridesmaid, and didn’t drive back then. I was her partner, and her ride.

After a few meek attempts at getting her to find an alternative way to the arse end of Wales, I realised I had only one option. To go along with it. To go along with everything. And so we finished work on the Friday night, bags all packed, suit all ready to go, and drove to Wales. We arrived about midnight, absolutely knackered. It’s a long drive on narrow, windy roads.

We went straight to bed, and she thanked me for putting her before the football for once. She said she knew how important the match was for me, and that it meant a lot that I was missing it for her.

dd0.png

6am arrives, and my alarm goes off. “Sorry love”, I says - “forgot to switch it off for the weekend; you go back to bed.” Satisfied she’d drifted back to sleep, I got out of bed, put on some casual clothes and crept towards the door.

“Where the are you going”, she says, not quite as sleepy as I’d thought. “Oh”, I says anxiously, “Couldn’t sleep. Nervous about the football. Not being there, y’know? I’m just gonna go and buy a paper”.

So with that, I closed the door, promptly turned off my phone, jumped in my car and embarked on the 13 hour round trip to Burton-on-Trent. We lost 3-0, and were promptly relegated into non-league for the first time, though not the last.

That was a sombre drive back to Wales, let me tell you. Gutted about going down, and knowing full well I was about to have my arse handed to me, possibly very publicly, once I got back. I made it back to the hotel about 11pm, changed into my suit and made my way to what remained of the wedding reception. Quick check of the phone; 117 missed calls. No end of messages I do not wish to read.

I walk into the marquee. Then I see my good lady, making a bee line towards me; face red, finger wagging. As loud as anything; “RIGHT, WHERE THE FÚCKING HELL HAVE YOU BEEN, YOU FÚCKING DICKHÈAD!!??”

“Oh, erm”, I squirmed, fingers twiddling, looking to the ground like a naughty child.

“You wouldn’t believe the size of the queue at the paper shop”.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Burnley v Orient 1987, lose the game and we're out of the league - a wedding was scheduled for 2 pm in Burnley. The service took place, followed by all half the congregation, including bride, groom and vicar, heading for Turf Moor to watch the match. The reception was a (delayed) double celebration.

It was Bill Shankley who was once accused of taking his wife to watch Liverpool Reserves v Rochdale Reserves on their wedding anniversary. He replied that of course it was nonsense because he would never get married during the season - he took her to that match on her birthday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here