Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere v Man Utd, the best since...?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When was the last time we had an atmosphere to rival that of Saturday?

I have the memory of a goldfish, but it feels like it must be pre-pandemic.

Any suggestions?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When was the last time we had an atmosphere to rival that of Saturday?

I have the memory of a goldfish, but it feels like it must be pre-pandemic.

Any suggestions?

The only ones I really remember were Burnley 9 men, St Patrick's day, Palace 10 men, Sheff Wed Play off and Wigan. I think Saturday was probably the best of any game with so little riding on it :albion2:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The Friday night game years ago against Wednesday sticks in my mind.

That said, I don't get to that many games.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
The only ones I really remember were Burnley 9 men, St Patrick's day, Palace 10 men, Sheff Wed Play off and Wigan. I think Saturday was probably the best of any game with so little riding on it :albion2:
Weirdly that 9-man Burnley game came first to my mind! The St Patrick's Day Massacre was pretty up there (OMG Lopez!) but even the sometimes somnolent East was rocking on Saturday. Special.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That really was incredible. Unmatched before or since, for me.

Completely agreed. Still my favourite match experience, despite the outcome.
In answer to the question, City last season but, if we're comparing with a full crowd, beating United in our first PL season was right up there, and I seem to remember that repeating that early in the following season was rocking too.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
1: St Patrick's day for me, one big party.
2: Doncaster and what an end to such a fairy tale return.

Japan v South Africa was pretty up there to be honest, especially the last few minutes, the place went wild.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Saturday was probably the best of any game with so little riding on it :albion2:

This is a good point, and came up when I was discussing the weekend's football in the pub after 5-a-side last night.

One of my GLUM team-mates (respectively fans of United, Liverpool, Saints and Leeds) asked, whether it was the best ever game. After a think I said that it didn't come close to any game that actually had something important riding on it - even if that were 'only' beating Chesterfield to win the league, but that for a 'standard' league game, yes - the best in my 40 years.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Comparable atmosphere's would be Sheff Wed (obvs), Leeds when we came back from 0-2 to lead 3-2 before conceding an equaliser at the death, City last season, St Patricks day, Doncaster and finally Wigan post-match when Hudds equalised

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I sit in the Upper West, to the left of the TV commentary gantry area, so to the N side of the halfway line.

The Atmosphere was amazing throughout, but what surprised me was, for possibly the first time, certainly the 1st I can remember, songs were being started to the right of me, in the southern part of the Upper West and spreading north.

At times in the past I've heard chants start behind me (not for a while) but never the other end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here