Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
West Bromwich Albion (Player of the season) – Matt Clark

Blackburn Rovers (Player of the season) - Jan Paul van Hecke

Blackburn Rovers (Goal of the season) - Reda Khadra

Walsall (Players' Player of the Season) - Carl Rushworth

Walsall (Supporters' Young Player of the Season) - Carl Rushworth

Missed any?

Feels like they should get a shout out at Albion's awards, really.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Last season Leeds fans voted Ben White their Player of the Season whilst he was playing for Brighton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good shout. :thumbsup:

Matt Clarke was also POTS at Derby - wouldn't mind having him here next season as a relacement for Duffy (whose time to move on has probably arrived) and Roberts (who must surely go out on loan).

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
West Bromwich Albion (Player of the season) – Matt Clark

Blackburn Rovers (Player of the season) - Jan Paul van Hecke

Blackburn Rovers (Goal of the season) - Reda Khadra

Walsall (Players' Player of the Season) - Carl Rushworth

Walsall (Supporters' Young Player of the Season) - Carl Rushworth

Missed any?

Feels like they should get a shout out at Albion's awards, really.

I saw the Khadra goal, that they voted as their GotS. Blimey - they all count and that, but they really can't have scored many great goals. We've probably scored FIFTEEN better goals than that this season.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Rushworth's next move is going to be interesting. Championship hopefully if the right club is interested.

With him and Schrepen about we are well stocked for keepers when Barca or Real eventually come calling for Bobby Sanchez.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw the Khadra goal, that they voted as their GotS. Blimey - they all count and that, but they really can't have scored many great goals. We've probably scored FIFTEEN better goals than that this season.

Could it be because we are a premier league club.......? ???

:wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That one, yes. Its just a well hit cross, that the keeper should have dealt with easily!

Compare that with:

Groß on Saturday, calmly slaloming through to finish a great team goal
Mwepu's great volley to round off a stunning move, at Arsenal
Maupay's brilliant equaliser at Palace
Maupay's overhead kick at West Ham
Trossard's sublime first time chip v Brentford on Boxing Day
Trossard's cut back and finish at Anfield, to finish some magical tiki-taka
Mwepu at Anfield

etc, etc, etc.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Good shout. :thumbsup:

Matt Clarke was also POTS at Derby - wouldn't mind having him here next season as a relacement for Duffy (whose time to move on has probably arrived) and Roberts (who must surely go out on loan).

With our current tactical set-up it’ll be interesting to see what happens with all the central defenders we’ve collected. I’ve never seen another team set up in the way we do currently, Sheffield United under Wilder were probably the closest so it’s hard to tell who’ll sink or swim with it.

On Saturday Cucurella was practically a CB/LW (and Veltman to a lesser extent) whilst Dunk had the Herculean task of being the 1 in a 1-4–4-1 formation when we attacked. You’re right in it being the final nail for Duffy and I think we’ll move Ostigard on too. I also think it’s the reason why Offiah is currently getting the nod over Turns and Roberts. If we don’t sign a CB this summer then I think he’ll be kept around as 6th choice, with Van Hecke maybe getting a Bundesliga/Serie A level loan.

First Choice
Veltman - Dunk - Cucurella
Back-Up
Offiah - Webster - Clarke

Webster could probably fill in on the right too obviously, but you probably want a pool of 6 defenders.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That one, yes. Its just a well hit cross, that the keeper should have dealt with easily!

Compare that with:

Groß on Saturday, calmly slaloming through to finish a great team goal
Mwepu's great volley to round off a stunning move, at Arsenal
Maupay's brilliant equaliser at Palace
Maupay's overhead kick at West Ham
Trossard's sublime first time chip v Brentford on Boxing Day
Trossard's cut back and finish at Anfield, to finish some magical tiki-taka
Mwepu at Anfield

etc, etc, etc.

I looked through our goal of the season contenders and it's a pretty decent selection this year.
Maupay's goals at Brentford and Watford weren't too shabby either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I also think it’s the reason why Offiah is currently getting the nod over Turns and Roberts.

Despite what it says in Wiki, I believe he's only ever played for us at RB, both in the U23s and in his brief first team appearances. Looks like a very good FB too. Like Turns and Roberts (and Tsoungui) I think he needs to go on loan.

So maybe, on reflection, we may need to keep Duffy around for another year.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
With our current tactical set-up it’ll be interesting to see what happens with all the central defenders we’ve collected. I’ve never seen another team set up in the way we do currently, Sheffield United under Wilder were probably the closest so it’s hard to tell who’ll sink or swim with it.

On Saturday Cucurella was practically a CB/LW (and Veltman to a lesser extent) whilst Dunk had the Herculean task of being the 1 in a 1-4–4-1 formation when we attacked. You’re right in it being the final nail for Duffy and I think we’ll move Ostigard on too. I also think it’s the reason why Offiah is currently getting the nod over Turns and Roberts. If we don’t sign a CB this summer then I think he’ll be kept around as 6th choice, with Van Hecke maybe getting a Bundesliga/Serie A level loan.

First Choice
Veltman - Dunk - Cucurella
Back-Up
Offiah - Webster - Clarke

Webster could probably fill in on the right too obviously, but you probably want a pool of 6 defenders.

Webster may not have played Saturday and is (as before) taking time to get up to speed post injury. But he’s surely in our best XI more often than not.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anything for Connolly?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Despite what it says in Wiki, I believe he's only ever played for us at RB, both in the U23s and in his brief first team appearances. Looks like a very good FB too. Like Turns and Roberts (and Tsoungui) I think he needs to go on loan.

So maybe, on reflection, we may need to keep Duffy around for another year.

He definitely has played CB for us as I’ve seen it! He was used there much more frequently at U-18 level but he has played there for the U-23’s on occasions too, most notably in a back 3 with Turns & Tsoungui when we beat Liverpool 3-0 in December and in a back 4 against Northampton in the EFL Cup (Packham played at RB).

I do agree that he’s looked excellent at RB when played there, but that’s part of the reason I think he’s more suited to the current system than either Turns or Roberts are. Lamptey is on the bench to play RB/RWB, Offiah is there to play this weird attacking RCB role. IMO anyway, I could be miles off.

Webster may not have played Saturday and is (as before) taking time to get up to speed post injury. But he’s surely in our best XI more often than not.

I think if we keep performing at this level then it’s hard to find a starting spot for Webster which is ridiculous to say. Maybe over time he replaces Veltman, but this current one-CB tactic is so weird and unique it’s hard to predict anything. This could be the slight tweak of innovation that sees us finish 7th next year and gets copied by every team in the world or it could be found out and have us bottom of the league by Christmas next year. It’s very rare you see something genuinely unique in football and it’s probably the first time ever we’ve been directly pioneering something genuinely different tactically.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I looked through our goal of the season contenders and it's a pretty decent selection this year.
Maupay's goals at Brentford and Watford weren't too shabby either.

TBH I thought they were all a bit meeeeehhhh.

Obviously they were all great goals (and I'm never going to be able to explain this but here goes) and despite all being different they all kinda felt the same.

There was no obvious winner.
There were no get the numbers up, selection either.
They were 'just' very good EPL goals.

Clearly, Sanchez, Cucu, The Tross and Groß thought the same.
We now have a winner.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Obviously they were all great goals (and I'm never going to be able to explain this but here goes) and despite all being different they all kinda felt the same.

We now have a winner.

Did you actually re-watch them to refresh your memory? The moves for the Trossard goal at Anfield and the Mwepu goal at Arsenal, are absolutely world class. If City or Barcelona in their prime had scored either, the football world would have been purring over them. Groß' on Saturday was also absolutely fantastic, but those two are every bit as good. For me, I think the Mwepu one JUST edges it.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

We now have a winner.

I'm not sure you can seriously call that selection meh! or even meeeeehhhh.

Mwepu's goal against Arsenal is an exceptional strike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here