[TV] The next Dr Who is another blooming jock

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ncuti Gatwa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ncuti_Gatwa

Never heard of him, which is a definite plus with Dr Whos, as they are not already imprinted as another character. Star of radio comedy (Pertwee - I ask you). Tom Baker - never heard of him and he was great.

(Mind you, the idea of Malcolm Tucker as Dr who pleased me greatly. And I liked Eccleston already.)

So... I'm excited.

I hope he uses his Dunfirmline accent.

Apologies if there is aready a thread and it has already sunk to page 3. Not that I would ever sink to page 3 :eek:

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Fantastic. He’s brilliant in Sex Education. Will be an interesting take on the Dr if he’s anything like his character in that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I've never seen one single episode of Dr Who... maybe I should. Where to begin?

Probably best to start with Christopher Eccleston's first series (he's the 9th Doctor). So Series One of the reboot from 2005. If you like the next 14 Seasons or so then you can go back to the Classic Series and watch the first 27 seasons which started in 1963 in black and white. That should keep you going until your retirement!

Already looking forward to the meltdown about this from people who make zero effort to understand anything outside their own very small dimension in time and space

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've never seen one single episode of Dr Who... maybe I should. Where to begin?

Not here (Hartnell)

Not here.JPG

Here (Eccleston)

Ninth-Doctor-001ecdd.jpg.

But I recommend dipping back, once you're hooked, to here (Tom Baker):

Doctor-Who-Tom-Baker-Blu-featured.jpg

Baker 2.JPG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Me neither Swanny. :shrug:

Wow. You have missed out. Seriously. First watched it in 1963. For me it is as iconic as MOTD, The John Peel programmes, and The Albion. I shit you not.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably best to start with Christopher Eccleston's first series (he's the 9th Doctor). So Series One of the reboot from 2005. If you like the next 14 Seasons or so then you can go back to the Classic Series and watch the first 27 seasons which started in 1963 in black and white. That should keep you going until your retirement!

FFS. You have sucked the very facts right out of my face.

Has nobody mentioned Cybermen yet? Let alone the D word :eek:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Quite often new Doctor's are a bit left field or WTF ...nothing surprising really by the latest incarnation.
I'll give it a go when he's on but not sure if he can arrest the slow downward spiral of the programme post Tennant.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Quite often new Doctor's are a bit left field or WTF ...nothing surprising really by the latest incarnation.
I'll give it a go when he's on but not sure if he can arrest the slow downward spiral of the programme post Tennant.

There's a fair bit of hope behind this next season for a couple of reasons. RTD coming back being the main one. The other being that it's no longer solely being produced in house by the BBC. They've partnered with Bad Wolf (formed by one of the producers of the 2005 reboot) who've also done His Dark Materials, The Night Of (which is bloody excellent) and A Discovery of Witches.

There's a sense that bringing back some people who were key to the success of the early days of the rebooted Doctor Who will itself be something of a soft reboot.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
What surprised me most is that he is 29! I knew he was older than the character he plays in sex education, but WOW he is either serious lucky or they have some great make up artists

Ive seen lots of the usual codswallop of stunt/tickbox/token casting on the twitterthingy- along with the "Dr Who shouldnt be gay" argument , quite why some people cant understand that actors arent the first character they happen to see them in, and although Id like to see a gay Dr -and even if the actor is gay (no idea if this guy is or not) it doesn't mean the part they portray will be

Dr Who used to be must see tv in the ecclstone, tennant era but succesive writers have let the show quality slide and its become a shadow of its former self.

Hopefully RTD can work his magic again with a fresh take, although he has been written into a bit of a hole with the last head writer changing the whole origin story. Will be interesting to see where the show goes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here