Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can we put the "20 goal striker" idea to bed now?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I noticed the latest standings in the race for the Golden Boot in the paper today.

golden.jpg

It looks like just a couple of players will reach the target but probably not more. With the way football is played now, a 20+ goal striker is a very rare beast.

During the close season when you're thinking, "I know, we need a 20 goal a season striker" remember these stats. We'd have to unearth a gem to get one (like Leicester with Vardy) - we certainly won;t be buying one with solid credentials and a money back guarantee.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love for you to find a poster who's been asking for any more than 15 goals, from any one player, since we've arrived in the EPL.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, we can't, unfortunately - there'll be at least half a dozen threads about potential 20 goal a season strikers we should buy between now and the end of the transfer window (I see the Nketiah one's been resurrected today already), plus two or three more general ones about 'We must buy a 20 goal a season striker', 'TB must go if he won't put his hand in his pocket', 'Relegation looms if we don't buy ....................... etc., etc., etc.

And in the end we don't buy one (and rinse and repeat in January).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes of course we can put it to bed, for now . . . doubtless it will be resurrected just as soon as we suffer a defeat or two, or don't score four in a game very week though.

I'm afraid many NSC'ers really are that fickle.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think 20 goals a year is more a Championship ask. exceptional in Premier League, two or three a season make it.
i'd be happy with a couple a season getting 10+ for Brighton. our trouble has been only one and too few goals from midfield. second part looks like we're starting to fix.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't be arsed, but you know those posts exist Stat.

Not for quite some time.

Sure, it took some of the harder of thinking among us, a little longer to get their heads out of a lower league football mentality, but I believe even they've been on board for a couple of seasons.

The impossible ask, and certainly one I'm guilty of, is that of having 2 (two) strikers who between them can get to 20+ goals.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought this would be a thread about sharing the goals around the team a bit more after efforts from Gross, Cucurella and Caicedo yesterday. You don't have to have a 9 on your back to score a goal :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes of course we can put it to bed, for now . . . doubtless it will be resurrected just as soon as we suffer a defeat or two, or don't score four in a game very week though.

I'm afraid many NSC'ers really are that fickle.

1. Nobody is asking for a 20 goal a season striker - just one that can do a job like Murray or Welbeck.
2. Our top scorer of the last 3 seasons has been in a month long sulk - there is clearly a problem.
3. Our other main source of goals - Trossard - could be off this summer.

Therefore, we obviously need to consider another attacker to supplement Undav, and so people are entitled to speculate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1. Nobody is asking for a 20 goal a season striker - just one that can do a job like Murray or Welbeck.
2. Our top scorer of the last 3 seasons has been in a month long sulk - there is clearly a problem.
3. Our other main source of goals - Trossard - could be off this summer.

Therefore, we obviously need to consider another attacker to supplement Undav, and so people are entitled to speculate.

Welbeck can't be put in this conversation and certainly not alongside Murray.
He's only scored 30 EPL goals in the last 12 (twelve) seasons.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For most of us, we don't need to.
For a select few, we can't, and this thread will do diddly squat about sending it to bed. This is because that select few are, not to put too fine a point on it, thick. And it's too much for them to process information such as the OP has provided, let alone retain it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’m sure I saw a stat that was something like only six current premier league players have scored more than 15 goals two seasons running. They would probably cost £100m+

To suggest we can sign a 20 goal striker is therefore absolutely bonkers.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The trick is getting in a manager who can score 20 a season.

Kills two birds with one stone.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
no, because people asking for a 20 goal striker are generally at the extreme end of the debate and probably don't want to be convinced otherwise. meanwhile, the more rational discussion, which is the one that the vast majority of posters participate in, about whether we need more goalscoring players this summer is an entirely reasonable question and won't be put to bed by yesterday.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Not one Man City player in the top scorer list, the answer is to get more goals from midfield

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Not one Man City player in the top scorer list, the answer is to get more goals from midfield

This is actually what I thought this thread would be about. After all we’ve scored 7 goals in our last 2 games and none of them have been from a striker. It would be nice to have a clinical striker but the last two weeks have shown that the likes of Trossard, Mac Allister & Caicedo chipping in is just as important

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This is actually what I thought this thread would be about. After all we’ve scored 7 goals in our last 2 games and none of them have been from a striker. It would be nice to have a clinical striker but the last two weeks have shown that the likes of Trossard, Mac Allister & Caicedo chipping in is just as important

That is effectively what this thread is about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here