Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A pound a minute?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Who’s paying more than this per match, given we’re seeing only approx. 55mins a game? Guessing in some of the 1901’s it’s more like £2 a minute to watch the Albion…and looking at how fast the West and East stands empty before the FW, people must be paying £10-20 just to queue for transport! :whistle:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61342349

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would be very interesting to see numbers from 30+ years ago, to be able to see how these numbers developed over time.

el punal

Who’s paying more than this per match, given we’re seeing only approx. 55mins a game? Guessing in some of the 1901’s it’s more like £2 a minute to watch the Albion…and looking at how fast the West and East stands empty before the FW, people must be paying £10-20 just to queue for transport! :whistle:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61342349

I never equate money (cost of) to watching the Albion. They’re my team, I’ve supported them for decades through thick and thin and I enjoy the whole day out - a bit less when we lose though!

Having said that, and referring to the gist of your post, doesn’t American Football take more than two hours for a conclusion despite the fact that it is only 60 minutes of playing time?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Be thankful it's not American football.

The average in a grid iron game is just under 12 mins per game spread over a 3 hour period.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It’s not just how long the ball is in play but what happens during that time too.

I appreciate the ‘play it out from the back’ etc philosophy that runs right through the PL but god it’s dull watching the back 4 and the goalie stroking the ball about between themselves for an eternity every match. I watch a lot of League One football and whilst the individual quality, vision and athleticism on display is a million miles from PL levels, the ball moves far more quickly, possession alternates far more frequently and there is far more goalmouth action.

I suppose it’s the difference between watching people playing chess and buckeroo. Chess played well can be thing of beauty but sometimes I just want to see little plastic saddles and miniature mining shovels unexpectedly flying through the air.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s not just how long the ball is in play but what happens during that time too.

I appreciate the ‘play it out from the back’ etc philosophy that runs right through the PL but god it’s dull watching the back 4 and the goalie stroking the ball about between themselves for an eternity every match. I watch a lot of League One football and whilst the individual quality, vision and athleticism on display is a million miles from PL levels, the ball moves far more quickly, possession alternates far more frequently and there is far more goalmouth action.

I suppose it’s the difference between watching people playing chess and buckeroo. Chess played well can be thing of beauty but sometimes I just want to see little plastic saddles and miniature mining shovels unexpectedly flying through the air.

I enjoy both, so watch both :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I never equate money (cost of) to watching the Albion. They’re my team, I’ve supported them for decades through thick and thin and I enjoy the whole day out - a bit less when we lose though!

Having said that, and referring to the gist of your post, doesn’t American Football take more than two hours for a conclusion despite the fact that it is only 60 minutes of playing time?

I think so, it’s partly why American Football never appealed to me. But yes, I’d dread to think what we’ve all paid over the years following the Albion! As you allude, it’s just a cost that doesn’t bear close examination! Bit like takeaways ;)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
American Football.
First team of god knows how many players runs on to the pitch and off again. Commercial break.
Second team run on and off again. Intros over, commercial break.
Game starts with a kick off. Commercial break.
The two sets of players on the pitch now change for another set of players, they huddle around and a few seconds of play occours. Commercial break.
If team A fail to move the ball 10 yards or team B get the ball they all run off and swop over again. Commercial break.
The clock anounces 2 minutes to go, they all run off. Commercial break.
They run back on and huddle for a minute. Commercial break.
Quarter time. Commercial break.
Repeat before half time when a band come on and play. Best part of the game.
No, not an American Football fan.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
American Football.
First team of god knows how many players runs on to the pitch and off again. Commercial break.
The two sets of players on the pitch now change for another set of players, they huddle around and a few seconds of play occours. Commercial break.
If team A fail to move the ball 10 yards or team B get the ball they all run off and swop over again. Commercial break.

Ah, I do miss the boys brigade doing Sussex by the Sea at half time!

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
American Football.

I'm only surprised that Sky do not show commercials in the middle of a PL game when players start going down with head injuries midway through the 2nd half (Southampton?), ball boys who were feeding balls back into play like rockets when their team were behind suddenly can't find a spare ball (Real?), when 10 players start surrounding the ref about any and every decision (Man U) and so on. That would at least highlight how much time is wasted / stolen from supporters. I guess there is a rule agianst it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here