Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Most ludicrous (but great) live acts

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just stumbled across this and just had to share it. I wouldn't be surprised to find that our friend who threatened to eat his Richie Blackmore hat over some nonsense is fond of this absolute shower :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVPmb7vyMU

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
This has got to be a valid suggestion, it was both utterly ludicrous but a brilliant show.

B008DD5B-F478-48C3-BE0A-1D3014588710.jpeg

For the younger reader, this is the high tech re-enactment of the famous “The Battle” track from Journey to the Centre of the Earth back in our youth. :D

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I saw Circulus supporting Cornershop in the early noughties. My friend and I looked up from our pints with a look that exuded WTF?

I wouldn’t say they were great but they certainly had us entertained.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw many many rock and metal acts in the mid to late 80s and most were pure pantomime but, I add, excellent fun.

I remember Ronnie James Dio on The Sacred Heart tour fighting a dragon with a sword against a stage which was a fibre glass castle. And my missus laughing when I was recently watching the Maiden Live After Death recording and a wobbly polystyrene Eddie emerges from the stage. “What the **** is that?” She said. All good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I saw many many rock and metal acts in the mid to late 80s and most were pure pantomime but, I add, excellent fun.

I remember Ronnie James Dio on The Sacred Heart tour fighting a dragon with a sword against a stage which was a fibre glass castle. And my missus laughing when I was recently watching the Maiden Live After Death recording and a wobbly polystyrene Eddie emerges from the stage. “What the **** is that?” She said. All good.

Maiden have never managed to make Eddie look anything but cheap, and all the better for it. I saw them live maybe 12 / 13 years ago and it was still the same. Love that band.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I just stumbled across this and just had to share it. I wouldn't be surprised to find that our friend who threatened to eat his Richie Blackmore hat over some nonsense is fond of this absolute shower :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVPmb7vyMU

Never judge a book by it's cover! I saw them support Metallica and was expecting some God awful dropped d death metal. However, I was pleasantly surprised and if you can see past the silly image they are pretty good. Most recent album went to no.2 in charts so must be doing something right

Jul 7, 2003
Never judge a book by it's cover! I saw them support Metallica and was expecting some God awful dropped d death metal. However, I was pleasantly surprised and if you can see past the silly image they are pretty good. Most recent album went to no.2 in charts so must be doing something right

As MM says, Ghost are not what you would expect and some of their recent stuff has been described as being heavy with ABBA like harmonies!

I've seen them three times now and it isn't just a concert - the guy puts on a real show. First time in Brighton was on a tour which won a Grammy for best Live show. Very surreal and came away thinking that I wasn't sure what the heck I had just seen but I enjoyed it. Second time was at Wembley and much more camp - I think the lead singer go through four sets of formal tail suits as well as two papal outfits. At one point he cycled across the stage on a white bicycle for no apparent reason and finished with glitter cannons - definitely not your average rock gig.

Saw them again ay the O2 last month and again, very much a show than a concert and good value for money. Members of the audience also go to town with their outfits and you see many in face paint (bit like Kiss fans), dressed in various religious outfits including some very underdressed nuns! Their merchandise is just as weird including things like papal cuddly toys, pope on a rope, and even a full scale papal robe/blanket you can use to keep warm on your sofa at night.

Jul 7, 2003
I recall seeing the Bonzo Band back in the day but ...... This guy had the most theatrical and entertaining set when I saw him at a small gig in the Midlands

I believe Arthur Brown is still living in a Yurt on the outskirts of Lewes. Used to see him around the town every so often.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Heavy metal thrash with strobes, bubbles, an inaudible flute player, Stacia dancing (well moving around) and Lemmy on vocals.

Video comes from a performance in Dunstable - most memorable thing that ever happened there no doubt... :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTFeW8FCto

I wonder if it ever occurred to Lemmy that when even Hawkwind kick you out for taking too many drugs, they may have a point :lolol:

From the live acts in my dim and distant past, I would probably select Planet Gong and John Otway and Wild Willy Barret. Sadly both gigs prior to the digital age :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here