Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Music You Love By Artists You Don't

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm listening to a U2 compilation. I'm not complaining. It was my choice.

Joking aside, there are some good things on it, that I haven't listened to in years because, like many, I struggle with the bloke writing the songs being the sort of prat who would fly his favourite hat first class whilst preaching about climate change. I remember a documentary about Bob Monkhouse that said that it's very hard to enjoy a comedian if you don't feel warmth towards them and I wonder whether this may be true about musicians too.

There are quite a few artists that I'd give no time to because, whether fairly or unfairly, I'm turned off by their public persona. However, there are others that I give a pass to, because, to paraphrase Smokey Robinson's You've Really Got A Hold On Me': 'I don't want (them), but I need (them).'

I realise that I've been happy to chuck aside Bono for his foolishness, presumably because the music was never that important to me. Van Morrison seems far more of what Partridge would have called a dwad and a dosser, but I find it easy to divorce his current nutjobbery from the pleasure of for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYqJtqyeilE

So, share your songs that are so good that they force you to overlook the questionable people who may have recorded them.

... Please avoid the Rolf Harris / Gary Glitter gags. I know the question leaves an open goal, but lets be like our attackers and consider open goals as beneath us..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a Bono or U2 fan but I love this song, reminds me of football on TV when we went up into the Championship under the much maligned Mark McGhee. You Amex newbies won't have a clue what I am talking about though :lolol:

https://youtu.be/co6WMzDOh1o

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Good call with Bono. Could we also add Sting to that list . Liked The Police and also his early solo stuff. Unfortunately both of them as people really grind my gears! :(

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Miles Davis is a great shout. I can see a lot of people feeling this way about Morrissey too. Personally, I find it hard to appreciate the great songs these days. I always knew he was self absorbed and difficult, but I struggle to empathise with him now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The music of Morrissey / The Smiths.

Unfortunately for me he’s tarnished his back catalogue; can’t listen to it now. Shame.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Spanish Train and other stories by Chris De Burgh is a great album.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sting's a good shout. Clearly a massive bell but I have a soft spot for a few of his songs.

U2 I've got the opposite thing - their mainstream stuff is mostly shit but stuff like Pop and Zooropa had some genuinely interesting things going on IMO, far more in common with Bowie's Berlin Trilogy than stuff like *spits* Beautiful Day and Elevation.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ryan Adams. Bit of a questionable character but written some great tunes

Slight understatement there! Used to like his music enough, but his conduct with Mandy Moore and Phoebe Bridgers was bang out of order. (Allegedly that is, of course, for the protection of NSC).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
absolutely love the smiths and indeed some of Morrissey's solo stuff but he really is a pr1ck isn't he and as someone else said above, I actually find it hard to listen to now

johnny marr seems alright though and you don't hear from the other two much

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Raspberry beret
Little Red corvette

Two brilliant bangers from Prince, a musician I cannot abide on many levels.

I love most of The Pogues output but a band of ***** lead by chief ****, McGowan. An arrogant, nasty little pisshead who is in an absolute state these days at a relatively early age.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here