Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Starlink Internet

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Anyone currently using Starlink for their internet ?
Due to my rural location (albeit it only a few miles out of town) I use BT and I currently only get 10mbps download and 1mbps upload and quite unstable, looking at Starlink, users in other rural areas are singing it’s praises as the speeds they get are massively faster, the only downside is the £500 for the equipment and you have to install it yourself.
I’d be interested what others think, especially as it’s only just out of beta.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My understanding is that they've not yet launched enough satellites.

Just for fun I've renamed my home WiFi to mimic Starlink and confuse my neighbours
Capture.JPG

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My understanding is that they've not yet launched enough satellites.

Just for fun I've renamed my home WiFi to mimic Starlink and confuse my neighbours
View attachment 147536

and downscaling the graphics for reduced bandwidth? :lolol:
im not convinced how they can maintain high service if it gains a lot of users, unless they launch more and more statellites. and rely on the ground stations for backhaul too.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
and downscaling the graphics for reduced bandwidth? :lolol:
im not convinced how they can maintain high service if it gains a lot of users, unless they launch more and more statellites. and rely on the ground stations for backhaul too.

This is my worry, it’s still in its infancy but as more and more come on board will the service drop, but to be fair if I could get a stable speed to stream a film now and again I’d be happy !

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Anyone currently using Starlink for their internet ?
Due to my rural location (albeit it only a few miles out of town) I use BT and I currently only get 10mbps download and 1mbps upload and quite unstable, looking at Starlink, users in other rural areas are singing it’s praises as the speeds they get are massively faster, the only downside is the £500 for the equipment and you have to install it yourself.
I’d be interested what others think, especially as it’s only just out of beta.

have you checked 5G coverage? Pease Pottage itself looks to have a couple of providers. Not sure what the signal is like where you live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here