Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] My mental health

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
So a few of you may recognise my username through some rather negative posting (and some positive). I have genuinely been in one of the worst places i have ever been in terms of my mental health. I barely had any energy to do anything, my weight ballooned and i cut myself off from my friends and family. I had no progression path and genuinely believed that what i had is all i will aspire to in life. That getting a better job was impossible and at some point i would be fired from my job. I genuinely believed i would become homeless and die alone. That the entire world was out to get me. I didn't even enjoy the things that used to bring me joy. I even started lashing out at the people closest to me.

So I got help

After taking SSRIs and speaking to a therapist, my life has started to really turn around. I am starting a new job soon with much better progression chances and better pay, i'm going to the gym 3 times a week to start with until my body gets used to it. I have started cooking my own meals rather than just ordering in or just buying crap. I also am now starting (slowly) to talk to my family more and even started making new friends. Life now seems to finally be worth living again.

Why am I telling you this? Well first of all i'm ****ing proud of myself that i've even come this far. I'm also posting this to maybe help others who are going through a difficult time themselves. Show people that there can be a light in the darkness, and that even though it is very difficult, life can get better.

I'm sorry for the rant, just wanted to get it off my chest.

Thanks
Washie

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Good to read such an inspiring post, and you should rightly feel proud of yourself for getting the help you needed and turning things around.
Also, for having the gonads to post this, here - well done you, and may your successes continue onwards and upwards.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Brilliant news - you have every right to be proud of yourself.

I don't know you, but it sounds like you've taken small steps, which when combined have made a huge difference.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good to hear. Easy for people, when at their lowest, to forget that there is always solutions if you are open to it, and good with an inspiring reminder that that is the case.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So a few of you may recognise my username through some rather negative posting (and some positive). I have genuinely been in one of the worst places i have ever been in terms of my mental health. I barely had any energy to do anything, my weight ballooned and i cut myself off from my friends and family. I had no progression path and genuinely believed that what i had is all i will aspire to in life. That getting a better job was impossible and at some point i would be fired from my job. I genuinely believed i would become homeless and die alone. That the entire world was out to get me. I didn't even enjoy the things that used to bring me joy. I even started lashing out at the people closest to me.

So I got help

After taking SSRIs and speaking to a therapist, my life has started to really turn around. I am starting a new job soon with much better progression chances and better pay, i'm going to the gym 3 times a week to start with until my body gets used to it. I have started cooking my own meals rather than just ordering in or just buying crap. I also am now starting (slowly) to talk to my family more and even started making new friends. Life now seems to finally be worth living again.

Why am I telling you this? Well first of all i'm ****ing proud of myself that i've even come this far. I'm also posting this to maybe help others who are going through a difficult time themselves. Show people that there can be a light in the darkness, and that even though it is very difficult, life can get better.

Thanks
Washie

Good to hear.

I had found myself in a very similar place to yourself, in regards to outlook, weight and relationship issues
Working from home has not been good for my mental health as it is too easy to fall into the worst of my bad habits ( not exercising/eating crap/gambling/becoming insular)

I ended up throwing away a good chunk of money gambling (telling myself I was matched betting, when in reality I was just throwing money away).
I came clean with the missus and signed up to GAMSTOP, to prevent me from going back to it. She has been amazing about it all, but made it clear, if I didn't sort myself out, she was off.

I started walking everyday and watching what I eat.
I hadn't realised that I was having mental health issues, until I jacked in gambling and started being active.

4 months in and I'm 2.5 stone lighter, happier than I have been for years and optimistic about the future.

Taking positive action (whatever that may be) is always worthwhile.
Not easy to take the first step though.

Good luck with your recovery.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

So I got help

Thanks
Washie

Top work, Washie. NSC is always here for you x

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
Well done washie! Looks like you've already made the big decisions. One of them was to post your comment on here, so a massive thumbs up. Your recovery probably won't be in a straight line - there will be ups and downs. I say that in the hope that if/when they happen, you will recognise them for what they are - just blips. Best of luck.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Good to hear.

I had found myself in a very similar place to yourself, in regards to outlook, weight and relationship issues
Working from home has not been good for my mental health as it is too easy to fall into the worst of my bad habits ( not exercising/eating crap/gambling/becoming insular)

I ended up throwing away a good chunk of money gambling (telling myself I was matched betting, when in reality I was just throwing money away).
I came clean with the missus and signed up to GAMSTOP, to prevent me from going back to it. She has been amazing about it all, but made it clear, if I didn't sort myself out, she was off.

I started walking everyday and watching what I eat.
I hadn't realised that I was having mental health issues, until I jacked in gambling and started being active.

4 months in and I'm 2.5 stone lighter, happier than I have been for years and optimistic about the future.

Taking positive action (whatever that may be) is always worthwhile.
Not easy to take the first step though.

Good luck with your recovery.

That's fantastic to hear, the part in bold is the main reason i wanted to post this. taking the first step is so difficult, but it can really make things so much better in the future. Well done and thank you for sharing you story too, hopefully anyone in your old situation can look at that post and maybe see themselves and maybe make that first step of realisation.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Fortunate to not to have ever suffered but know many who have. Reading through confirms what I have so often thought that the best help is Self Help. I will get several people I know to read through these posts to show what can be achieved with determination. Good on you all

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Can we have more of this type of rant washie….well done and great for posting as I’m sure it would help anyone else relating to your past experiences

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Well done Washie.

First thing is admitting there is an issue and asking for help :)

I have had a rough 2 years and suffered from bad anxiety and panic attacks. Really hit rock bottom and wondered how I could do anything moving forwards, all the things I used to find easy became terrifying and my World got smaller and smaller.

Meditation, exercise and being in nature massively helped but also take beta blockers to keep a lid on it as well presently.

Admitting you have a problem isn't a weakness its a strength! So many people go through life not seeking help and suffering badly, Hopefully talking about it helps others to admit there problems and seek help.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Brave and bold post washie and more power to you.

A fellow MH sufferer and myself were recently joking about an MH t-shirt slogan range we could do, some of the ‘best’ (ahem) ones:

‘I’m Only Paranoid Because You’re Judging Me’
‘Does My Low Self-Esteem Look Shit in This?’
‘What Do People Without MH Issues Think About All Day?’

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That's not a rant Washie, that's a declaration of fantasticness of epic proportions! Hats off to you, sir.

My thoughts exactly.

Well done, Washie and it's good that you wanted to post it, to see if it can help others, and I'm sure it will.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

So I got help

Thanks
Washie

Brilliant, brilliant post. Well done [MENTION=19935]Washie[/MENTION] – that's a hell of an achievement.

Definitely not a rant though – that's an inspirational post that will hopefully help a lot of people. Even if it is just to put things in perspective and realise that things aren't as bad as they might seem.

:thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here