Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] H.M.S. Sheffield.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I know all the ex Matelots and Jennies will want to join me in commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the sinking of the Shiny Sheff. 20 lads lost their lifes in an Exocet attack, our first real casualties of the Falkland war.

A personal tribute from me for PO Cook Bob Fagan and Cook Andy Swallow ( known as ‘Spit or’) 2 lads I served with previously.

Rest in peace, lads.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Remember it well. It was anounced at the end of the Wolves game that a ship had been hit and I remember the mood suddenly changing. One of those moments in life that always sticks in the brain. Sad times, sad day.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
We were still sailing South when this happened. This was the day when it got real. RIP to all those still on patrol...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Remember it well. It was anounced at the end of the Wolves game that a ship had been hit and I remember the mood suddenly changing. One of those moments in life that always sticks in the brain. Sad times, sad day.

I remember this as well.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Cant believe this was 40 years ago

I was serving in the RAF at the time, and several of my friends were heading south on the Atlantic Conveyor. It was the day the entire mood at my base changed and we all realised that this was for real . We all had friends ands colleagues in theatre or on their way, with more of us ready to go at a moments notice

RIP to all who fell, and to those who still suffer the consequences, our thoughts are with you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stand easy, your watch is done.

Remembrance at sea.jpg

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Remember that day too. The announcement at half time. I was a couple of weeks away from joining up at that time and subsequently joined HMS Exeter , an almost identical ship, and headed South in 84. Some of the Sheffield crew joined Exeter so heard first hand the horrors of the day. Left after 5 years but the Falklands came back in my work life from 98-2012 when i would go down annually as a security advisor. Always visited the various memorials. Always enjoyed the trips back.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
RIP lads indeed. I still remember the announcement (by Ian McDonald, the very straight laced MOD spokesman, who did all the announcements) as clear as the light of day. One of the saddest aspects of the Sheffield incident (apart from the lads' deaths of course) was that while quite a large number of service personnel were decorated, and rightly so, Sam Salt, the Captain of the Sheffield, didn't receive any honour, even though he remained to the bitter end. I don't know if that's been rectified (they've only recently done it for the lads who fought so bravely to defend Government House).

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
RIP Lads. Not forgotten. Still on patrol.

I was at RNAS Yeovilton when the signal came through ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I know all the ex Matelots and Jennies will want to join me in commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the sinking of the Shiny Sheff. 20 lads lost their lifes in an Exocet attack, our first real casualties of the Falkland war.

A personal tribute from me for PO Cook Bob Fagan and Cook Andy Swallow ( known as ‘Spit or’) 2 lads I served with previously.

Rest in peace, lads.

One of those two was a close family member. Vividly remembered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here