Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Some personal news and then reflection for all

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Sadly I lost my dad on Sunday after a short and intense hospital stay that deteriorated swiftly.

He had many many faults but he was also the person who introduced me to the Albion. A league cup first round home defeat to Gillingham in 87 being my first game. He was heard ushering the phrase “well that should cure him” to my mum when we got home. But it didn’t. And how could it?

The one mainstay between us over the last 34 years. We’d argue about players, laws of the game, the game’s modernisation and hopelessness etc of all of our managers over the years - yes including Potter who infuriated my dad by ‘never picking the same XI twice’ but we always bonded over our love for the club.

Thankyou Dad for that first trip, for the endless away games, for living in the midlands and coming back to Brighton to pick my cousin and I up, drive us to Gillingham, then back to Brighton and then you back home to the midlands and for many other countless ludicrous episodes of fandom between us over the years.

So we all have that special someone who introduced us to the club and it would be great if people could share their memories of the who, what, where, why and when of it here as it would certainly help me get over how utterly lost I’m feeling now.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
So sorry to hear of your news and take care . Think of the wonderful memories supporting the Albion you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
for living in the midlands and coming back to Brighton to pick my cousin and I up, drive us to Gillingham, then back to Brighton and then you back home to the midlands

Top parenting! What a legend!

I'm sorry to hear of your loss BT but I'm sure you'll have lots of brilliant memories of your Albion adventures together.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My Mum introduced me to the Albion in 1997. Her willingness to go and queue for tickets at the Goldstone from 7am for a 9am opening
will never be forgotten. She never asked for anything in return for doing this for me.

Note: I was living away and couldn't get back to for work reasons.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sadly I lost my dad on Sunday after a short and intense hospital stay that deteriorated swiftly.

He had many many faults but he was also the person who introduced me to the Albion. A league cup first round home defeat to Gillingham in 87 being my first game. He was heard ushering the phrase “well that should cure him” to my mum when we got home. But it didn’t. And how could it?

The one mainstay between us over the last 34 years. We’d argue about players, laws of the game, the game’s modernisation and hopelessness etc of all of our managers over the years - yes including Potter who infuriated my dad by ‘never picking the same XI twice’ but we always bonded over our love for the club.

Thankyou Dad for that first trip, for the endless away games, for living in the midlands and coming back to Brighton to pick my cousin and I up, drive us to Gillingham, then back to Brighton and then you back home to the midlands and for many other countless ludicrous episodes of fandom between us over the years.

So we all have that special someone who introduced us to the club and it would be great if people could share their memories of the who, what, where, why and when of it here as it would certainly help me get over how utterly lost I’m feeling now.

Truly sorry for your loss. My dad introduced me by shoving me under the turnstiles in the North Stand for free during the 60's. Later with my wife, we went to the nearer away games like Aldershot, Luton Town, MK Dons, Spurs, Fulham, Bournemouth and ventured further north to Villa Park. Plus a bit of Gillingham. It was a strong grounding and of course we trekked to Wembley in 83, on a bus from Worthing. His poor bladder struggled with that one! We loved his passion for the Albion and in his 90's, when my mum asked why he still cared about the Albion, he pounded his chest and said 'it's in my heart.' We managed to get him an unofficial stadium tour of the Amex before it opened, just six weeks before he passed. It will be tough, but eventually you'll remember your dad with loving memories whenever you go to matches or just when you think about football. We still do. Oh, and contact the Albion and get a little mention in the Man U or West Ham programme. It helps to pay tribute at the club where you shared so much.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I am very sorry for your loss.

Although my first match was a birthday treat for a school friend (early 1970s), my real introduction was with my family in Seaford from the mid 70s.I particularly remember night games, the “wow” factor of walking into the upper South Stand at The Goldstone to see the crowd and the floodlights on. That’s when I got hooked. Fish and chips from Peacehaven on the way home and collect the football Evening Argus edition at Seaford station around 6pm.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
So sorry for your loss, mate. Horrible isn't it?
My old Man took me to the Goldstone, aged 7, to see the Albion v Barnsley.
The perfect green of the pitch from the top of the North Stand steps took my breath away. I can still see it now.
Lost the brave old soldier a few months ago & miss him as I type

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
RIP B Tash's Dad.

My first game was parents friends, my Dad was an egg chaser in his youth, and not local. He did take me as Seeboard had ST's . . I remember the first game, we beat Man City 4-1!

Remember the good times!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry to hear about your father. RIP

My late father took me to the Goldstone when I was about 7 years old, I honestly can’t remember my first game.
I do remember him taking me to Spurs away in 1977 also Orient.
He wasn’t really an Albion fan and only came to live in Brighton because of work, I’m sure he always wanted Albion to win when we watched them. He was a football fan though and did take me to see some other non Albion games.
I don’t think he ever mentioned watching the Albion before taking me, I’m sure he also didn’t go when I started going with my friends.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They never leave you. They just become part of you. And you take them to every game with you.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Whilst my father didn't take me to my first game, he did take me to several back in the early/mid 70s, including the 2-1 home win against Villa (iirc Willie Irvine and Kit Napier scored). I often go to the Amex via his grave in Lewes and give him an Albion update.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Really sad to hear your loss. You’re a good man BT, be kind to yourself in the days and months to come. He’ll always be with you, and with time you’ll learn to smile again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear. Lost my dad about three years ago in similar circumstances, don’t be surprised to find yourself very often reflecting on your time together.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Stay strong BT. My Dad too, back in the mid-late 60s. He always took me in the old West Stand as it had the best overall view. Just as I believe it is now at the Amex(WSU). He was a fan of good football rather than a die-hard Albion fan and could never understand quite how excited I got by going to games in the 70s with mates and being so excited by Wardy et al.

He’s buried in the Bear Road cemetery so when I park at the Race Course I usually drop in beforehand to have a chat. He loved the horses too so that cemetery is ideal as he spent quite a bit of time(and money there!). Took me to my first race meeting there too!

You’ll always remember your Dad and the Albion memories - enjoy them, stay positive - I’m sure he’d want you to. RIP BT’s Dad

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thank's for posting [MENTION=27836]Barham's tash[/MENTION]. You're a good man. Best wishes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To add, my old man was (I now can clearly see) 'on the spectrum' (like me) so we never got on, and never would. RIP Reg. Dad. x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here