Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Is calling someone "incompetent" on a public forum like this grounds for a lawsuit?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Is calling someone "incompetent" on a public forum like this grounds for a lawsuit?

Serious question. I post on a forum similar to this about theatre. Someone else called Andrew Lloyd Webber incompetent for what has happened at Cinderella.

They got an email from a law firm requesting a retraction (as the post contained a link to their blog, where they wrote similar) telling them to cease and desist or face legal consequences.

Would this even stand up??!

Ps. It wasn't me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Serious question. I post on a forum similar to this about theatre. Someone else called Andrew Lloyd Webber incompetent for what has happened at Cinderella.

They got an email from a law firm requesting a retraction (as the post contained a link to their blog, where they wrote similar) telling them to cease and desist or face legal consequences.

Ps. It wasn't me

It’s always tricky when dealing with subjective descriptions like incompetent. It’s better to stick to unequivocal and factual terms which will stand up in court like, in this instance, Tory ****.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sounds absurd.

If it is, may I suggest moving to a more lenient country, like Afganistan or Iran.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Probably wouldn’t stand up but scary enough for people to retract. Can understand why Bozza and others have made sure this place is pretty clean

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Ps. It wasn't me

Why can’t it be changed to ‘I think x is incompetent?’ Then accompanied by some facts supporting this opinion. There actually isn’t any point in the abusive posts common on NSC (including on this thread) and presumably on your other forum. They tell us more about the poster themselves than about their target.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset

Ps. It wasn't me
Not sure, but I’ve got friends in the cast and crew of Cinderella who have said a lot worse on social media in the last couple of days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure, but I’ve got friends in the cast and crew of Cinderella who have said a lot worse on social media in the last couple of days.

I hope they sort out the problems… the shoe must go on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds a bit defamatory, depends how serious the claim is. if some anon on a football forum makes a false claim, its nothing, if its someone prominent and where it might affect their reputation, likely to be taken seriously.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A theatre forum similar to here. :shrug:

What's their favourite flavour of Angel Delight?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

This is her defence but I promised to reach out. I've had some solid advice here before so I thought it was worth a shot. Football forum or not, there is a breadth of knowledge from good people on here.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Ps. It wasn't me

For the most part a statement like that would never constitute a Law Suite.

However, if Andrew Lloyd Webber were able to prove a financial loss due to the statement. For instance if he lost work because of it then a Litigation might be allowed to proceed. Although I would imagine he is only looking for a " retraction "

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Unfortunately it’s often the case that people with deep pockets are able to scare off those who haven’t - regardless of the merits of the case.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Something quite important I left out, the incompetent comment was in relation to his role as a producer.

She has deleted the blog post now anyway. She says she doesn't need the stress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here