Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] University Match day parking at the Amex

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have a space in the University car park and over the last few months it’s been a bit of a long winded hassle to get in there.

The biggest problem is that coming from the West you have to come down Coldean Lane. The lights change very quickly at the bottom where you turn left so progress is slow. My biggest gripe though is the bus lane before you turn left when heading towards Stanmer Park. Anyone coming by taxi or bus is laughing as you just go up the bus lane.

Surely the club/council should remove bus lane restrictions for a couple of hours before kick off on match days then those. Those going straight on or turning right would have their own lane and those going to the University car park would use the bus lane rather than having to cut in a few yards from the turning.

Checking parking tickets also causes a delay, so it can take an hour and a half to two hours from leaving Worthing to get into the ground.

First World problems I know but it is something the club could possibly sort to a degree.

Interested if any others who park in the University Car Parks feel the same?

Jul 7, 2003
Don't use them now but when I did we would often drive along the A27 and double back at the Ashcombe roundabout and come into Stanmer Park from the east - a few extra miles but usually much faster.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
We have a space in the University car park and over the last few months it’s been a bit of a long winded hassle to get in there.

The biggest problem is that coming from the West you have to come down Coldean Lane. The lights change very quickly at the bottom where you turn left so progress is slow. My biggest gripe though is the bus lane before you turn left when heading towards Stanmer Park. Anyone coming by taxi or bus is laughing as you just go up the bus lane.

Surely the club/council should remove bus lane restrictions for a couple of hours before kick off on match days then those. Those going straight on or turning right would have their own lane and those going to the University car park would use the bus lane rather than having to cut in a few yards from the turning.

Checking parking tickets also causes a delay, so it can take an hour and a half to two hours from leaving Worthing to get into the ground.

First World problems I know but it is something the club could possibly sort to a degree.

The cause of the hold up this season seems to be the time it takes to check parking tickets on mobiles. Pre Covid you had a physical parking ticket and you were effectively waved through by the stewards. Now it takes up to a 20/30/secs to check each car which is causing the delay. A classic case of technology not improving the customer experience!

Reactions: abc

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

The system for checking this season has been nothing short of shambolic.

For the Southampton game we showed the pass and we’re waved through, so might just have had the old permit that hung around the mirror.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The cause of the hold up this season seems to be the time it takes to check parking tickets on mobiles. Pre Covid you had a physical parking ticket and you were effectively waved through by the stewards. Now it takes up to a 20/30/secs to check each car which is causing the delay. A classic case of technology not improving the customer experience!

Or you could have your phone primed and ready. Three seconds.

Delays mainly due to people with no ticket trying to blag their way in, and taxis effing about.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It truly has been a shambles this season. The checking of passes, the queues down Coldean Lane, the queues to get off the A27 at Hollingbury, all contribute to make the whole thing a massive pain in the rear end. It also seems that there are more cars parking on matchdays in the university car parks. Might try coming in from the other direction.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Delays mainly due to people with no ticket trying to blag their way in, and taxis effing about.

Trust me it’s a lot more than 3 seconds (the phone checking that is!)….

They fumble about with the scanner, miss the phone, the phone then reverts to sleep mode…..

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

I always have my pass ready, they still sometimes take an age to check it, and if they’re scanning them that adds to the time.

The ‘official’ drop off point is indicated as in the University car park so that adds to the queues. Factor in people who are coming for university business having to justify why they don’t have a parking permit, it’s just a shambles they way it is being ‘run’. The hanger permit made so much more sense and requires nobody stopping vehicles as they came into the campus, just the stewards by each car park confirming the permits were in place.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Trust me it’s a lot more than 3 seconds (the phone checking that is!)….

They fumble about with the scanner, miss the phone, the phone then reverts to sleep mode…..

Not on my watch. After 1.5 seconds I shout 'Jump to it, sonny', and he does.

(I'll probably find I've left my phone at home this weekend. Nailed on :facepalm:)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I always have my pass ready, they still sometimes take an age to check it, and if they’re scanning them that adds to the time.

The ‘official’ drop off point is indicated as in the University car park so that adds to the queues. Factor in people who are coming for university business having to justify why they don’t have a parking permit, it’s just a shambles they way it is being ‘run’. The hanger permit made so much more sense and requires nobody stopping vehicles as they came into the campus, just the stewards by each car park confirming the permits were in place.

OK, I accept. Plastic hangar, SEASON PASS, and better '**** off if you are not booked to park for football' signage, jobza good 'un. And somewhere for TURNAGE for the deluded.

Yes, alright. It's all shit.

I'll get my sheepsksin coat.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

But you would need a new (coloured) permit for every match. A little industry in sending them out, esp at last minute if more places become available.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh I’m glad someone else has posted about this. It’s a shambles. Total shambles. And I don’t think it’s the bus lane to blame.

Quite simply it’s the three stewards at the beginning of the car park. Their job has been made marginally harder as they are told to scan each pass. However it often takes 3/4 goes for it to work. Even if they decide not to check drivers are expecting a check so everyone stops. It’s a shambles. Bring back the hard copy pass. There was no issue at all then. Or get the stewards to do their job properly. There are 3 of them. Normally one does the checking whilst the other two sit around. Why can’t they go up and down the queue scanning tickets?

Grumble over. But it is a shambles. Total shambles.

Reactions: cjd

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not on my watch. After 1.5 seconds I shout 'Jump to it, sonny', and he does.

(I'll probably find I've left my phone at home this weekend. Nailed on :facepalm:)

I know, when the club opted for a more digital approach the concerns were around operability by older fans, they hadn’t factored the potential for mild onset of dementia…..

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
But you would need a new (coloured) permit for every match. A little industry in sending them out, esp at last minute if more places become available.

It worked for 6 or 7 years, only one hanger permit for the whole season.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I had been thinking of getting University parking for next season. Maybe changed my mind now.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As mentioned above a big factor is all the extra spaces being available in the multi-storey at the back of campus. Say there's 100 additional cars and each takes 6 seconds to check. It all adds up! Then add in the lost people, the people trying to blag it and that all creates delays.

Options are:

• Stays as it is
  • Reduce numbers of spaces
  • Give time slots for entry
  • Source more local parking (such as on the Brighton uni site?)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
H

Yes it did, but season long parking isn’t available. Not sure why.

Think it is the knock on from Bennett's Field stuff as club weren't sure what would happen at the start of the season so didn't want to promise something they couldn't deliver. That's my assumption anyway.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
H

Yes it did, but season long parking isn’t available. Not sure why.

So what you are saying is demand varies with people buying game by game. 1901 members have season long parking permits though.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Worked well with seasonal parking because no digital ticket to check and everyone knew where they were going. Checking tickets into the Bridge seems v quick but still don't understand why the club insist on having your reg number as I've never seen them checked once.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here