Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ballon d'Or winners

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Here's a Tuesday puzzle in the week CR7 graces us with his presence. Has a Ballon d'Or winner ever played on an Albion pitch before?
Obviously the fact that I'm asking, the answer is yes so, without giving the answer and spoiling it or using Google, who, when and why.
And before this thread goes into meltdown, I never saw Best or Pele and as yet Messi so I'm looking forwards to him showing off his talents at the Amex. Admire but dislike him.
And 3:1 to the Albion with him getting 1 touch and scoring.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't know the answer without googling and won't spoil the quiz, but I have seen Messi play live. In fact Messi and Iniesta together. It was almost telepathic and balletic at the time and yet in a game where Barca won without getting out of third gear. Quite remarkable player.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I don't know the answer without googling and won't spoil the quiz, but I have seen Messi play live. In fact Messi and Iniesta together. It was almost telepathic and balletic at the time and yet in a game where Barca won without getting out of third gear. Quite remarkable player.

I was lucky enough to see Barca about 7-8 years ago at the Camp Nou with a forward line of Messi, Suarez and Neymar with Iniesta behind. Was pure ballet on the pitch.. Scored 6 between them. Unforgettable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Antoine Griezmann played for Atletico Madrid in a pre-season friendly at the Amex a couple of years back. Without looking it up, don't know if he's ever won the Ballon D'Or tho

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On a separate note, neither Maradona or Pele ever won the Ballon d'Or. WTF is that about?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
On a separate note, neither Maradona or Pele ever won the Ballon d'Or. WTF is that about?

it was european player of the year, so you had to be european to win it, until 1995 when it was expanded to players who played for european clubs, and then in 2007 it was expanded to all players.

So neither player was ever eligible for it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it was european player of the year, so you had to be european to win it, until 1995 when it was expanded to players who played for european clubs, and then in 2007 it was expanded to all players.

So neither player was ever eligible for it
Ah, thank you :)

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
i'm way too young but did Dennis Law or Bobby Charlton ever play against Brighton?

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
I can remember Kevin Keegan playing at The Goldstone with a young Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley. Think Waddle scored and we lost 1-0.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
i'm way too young but did Dennis Law or Bobby Charlton ever play against Brighton?

I'd go for 1974 when BC was PNE player-manager at The Goldstone.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I can remember Kevin Keegan playing at The Goldstone with a young Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley. Think Waddle scored and we lost 1-0.

I'd guess that was 83/84. Last game of the season was at SJP. They won 3-1 to go up as Champions with those three in the team. That was KK's last game and, famously, Alan Shearer was a ballboy.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
With time to spare here is my report.
Dennis Law (1964). Man Utd, who we didn't play back then.
Bobby Charlton (1966). Man Utd.
George Best (1968). Was signed with Fulham in 77/78 but had moved on by the time they came to us. Also gone for the away game so didn't play against us.
Kevin Keegan (1979). He is the obvious player who indeed played for Southampton in 1981.
David Beckham came second in 1999. That's 7 years after touching our turf and he wasn't a winner anyway.
Michael Owen (2001). Difficult to see if our paths ever passed either Liverpool, Newcastle, Man Utd or Stoke City but of course his season here in 2014/15 made him our super hero. Does touching the Amex turf whilst being a commentator count?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
With time to spare here is my report.
Dennis Law (1964). Man Utd, who we didn't play back then.
Bobby Charlton (1966). Man Utd.
George Best (1968). Was signed with Fulham in 77/78 but had moved on by the time they came to us. Also gone for the away game so didn't play against us.
Kevin Keegan (1979). He is the obvious player who indeed played for Southampton in 1981.
David Beckham came second in 1999. That's 7 years after touching our turf and he wasn't a winner anyway.
Michael Owen (2001). Difficult to see if our paths ever passed either Liverpool, Newcastle, Man Utd or Stoke City but of course his season here in 2014/15 made him our super hero. Does touching the Amex turf whilst being a commentator count?
If we're counting Beckham then Griezman and Jorginho were both 2nd or 3rd placed and have played at the Amex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here