Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] West Pier remains - iconic feature or rusting eyesore?

Are the West Pier remains

• An iconic feature

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • A rusting eyesore

Votes: 48 25.3%

• Total voters

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
On the 'Grace' thread there is a sub-topic developing which probably merits its own thread. The remains of the West Pier. Should they be preserved as an iconic seafront feature, almost unique to Brighton in the same way as the Royal Pavilion is? Or should they be removed as they're a twisted, decaying eyesore that makes Brighton look like a decaying post-industrial town circa 1985, and also stand as a monument to our inability to protect our heritage.

I'm now, regretfully, in the latter camp, but I know others disagree.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it was going to be removed, it should have been done straightaway. The remains have formed a reef for underwater life, like mussels and barnacles.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think the time of replacing it has now passed and I think it should be celebrated as an iconic feature. To my eyes it has a majestic beauty that is now a key part of the city's visual identity. As long as it safe to do so, I'd like the relic to remain.

it was such a shame when the plans to restore it to something resembling it's original purpose fell through, but fall through they did. If it was torn down and not replaced we'd miss it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
can be and they are both.
serve as a reminder how slavish devotion to perfect conservation can lead to decay and destruction. though as i belive they're trying same routine on Madeira Terrace, its not a lesson learnt.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It provides a unique silhouette as the sun sets over Sussex. I have no strong feelings about it but it should be left in situ now. Over time it will collapse out of sight.

There were a few of us having drinks in a friends’ flat overlooking that part of the beach the night it went up. We all stood on her balcony watching. It was one of the most memorable nights of our lives. It was quite spectacular, us all stood in silence as the sky turned orange and flaming chunks of it fell into the sea. Quite breathtaking really.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
has to be a rusty eyesore.
The Arches and terraces on the seafront are going the same way, while the council does diddly squat as they slowly decompose taking another iconic part of Brighton with it

There are certain things that make Brighton unique, and instantly recognisable, and give Brighton its identity

The two piers, the seafront railings, the arches and terraces along Marine Parade.

The second pier has gone, the terraces and arches quickly going to the extent that soon they will need demolishing because they will be dangerous and too expensive to repair.

Once gone they will never be replaced and we become more and more an identikit town, indistinguishable from Worthing, Eastbourne and numerous others, all of which are cheaper, cleaner and have councils who actually do appear to give a damn about their towns, rather than pump money into vanity projects and fleece lo0cals and visitors alike with exorbitant and unnecessarily restrictive parking and traffic policies which contribute to the death of the place

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Brovion;10251169 should they be removed as they're a twisted said:
But that is exactly what Brighton is with the Hollingbury retail park being built on the bones of great industrial heritage. With KTM gone along with 1200 jobs , Asda built on the ITT Creed Teleprinter factory with around the same, Gross Cash Registers now a police Station.
https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.u...dustrial-estate/hollingbury-industrial-estate

In Lewes Road the Allen West Switchgear factories long gone.

The Railway Engine sheds at the station that found a new life building BMW Issetta Bubble Cars.

Brighton had a proud record of innovation and industry, destroyed by thatcher and her " why bother to make stuff if we can import it and make a profit " philosophy and the asset strippers and carpet bagger fellow- travellers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Once gone they will never be replaced and we become more and more an identikit town, indistinguishable from Worthing, Eastbourne and numerous others, all of which are cheaper, cleaner and have councils who actually do appear to give a damn about their towns, rather than pump money into vanity projects and fleece lo0cals and visitors alike with exorbitant and unnecessarily restrictive parking and traffic policies which contribute to the death of the place

to be fair to consecutive councils, they are hamstrung by groups that insist conservation trumps functional usage. its more important to use original authentic materials and processes than to fix things and make them stable and usable into the future. the same groups inhibit innovation and growth too, industry can only exist with zero impact to surroundings.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From a Swedish perspective its a little bit exotic... very little chance such a thing as the West Pier would have ever been built here, 0 chance it would have been allowed to decay and 0 chance that the remains would just allowed to be left like that. But I like it. Decay is beautiful.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I was lucky enough to acquire this artefact

West Pier Artefact.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
On the 'Grace' thread there is a sub-topic developing which probably merits its own thread. The remains of the West Pier. Should they be preserved as an iconic seafront feature, almost unique to Brighton in the same way as the Royal Pavilion is? Or should they be removed as they're a twisted, decaying eyesore that makes Brighton look like a decaying post-industrial town circa 1985, and also stand as a monument to our inability to protect our heritage.

I'm now, regretfully, in the latter camp, but I know others disagree.

Glad to see you accepted my invitation in the Grace thread! :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
has to be a rusty eyesore.
The Arches and terraces on the seafront are going the same way, while the council does diddly squat as they slowly decompose taking another iconic part of Brighton with it

There are certain things that make Brighton unique, and instantly recognisable, and give Brighton its identity

The two piers, the seafront railings, the arches and terraces along Marine Parade.

The second pier has gone, the terraces and arches quickly going to the extent that soon they will need demolishing because they will be dangerous and too expensive to repair.

I absolutely agree.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Used to fish off the jetty as a boy. Every time a big wave hit, the whole pier shook. It was BRILLIANT!

And, as it is, it's beautiful.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think it looks absolutely beautiful.

If i'm walking along the seafront and fancy sitting down for a bit I always sit there.

It has a mesmeric quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here