Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 50 years ago today 3/5/72

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Drew with Rochdale 1-1 at The Goldstone in front of nearly 35,000 to get promoted as Runners Up in Div 3 behind Champions Aston Villa.

Was anyone on here there that night?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yep, North Stand as usual.

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes, was late and stood on a porta cabin between the North and West stands. I was the first up there when I looked round there were about twenty behind me! We were, unsurprisingly, moved off then I built my own stand of bricks which had been left lying around to get some height to see above the back row. Bizarre someone thoght it safe to leave a load of bricks lying around, spent 90 mins wobbling trying to stay upright! Great night from what I can remember............

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
Yes I was there and also like Brok was at the away game where we took over the ground

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I was there, on or around my favourite spot on the terraces towards the southern end of the west stand. Hitch-hiked back to Liverpool overnight. Happy days!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes! We scored quite early iirc and thought it was going to be a comfortable night. Of course Rochdale equalised and we went through the usual emotional wringer. I think a point suited both sides in the end but again I could be wrong.

Fifty years! Blimey.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Yes in the North Stand. First promotion always sweet, although that was a curiously uneventful game.

Much later heard a story that with not much happening in the closing stages, ref Jack Taylor said: You lot don't need me - think I'll head off home...or words to that effect.

Never knew whether that was true now 50 years ago. Happy days!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yep, home and away as others. In fact I think I did Spotland in consecutive seasons, one of which we got in free as some “fans” kicked open the exit gates and the hoards got in for nothing. Oh those were the days. Nutty slack terracing and gents consisting of a five foot six wall in the corner so the taller amongst us missed none of the action.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Was in the middle of the North Stand and it was rammed, could hardly breathe. Great night though

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yes! We scored quite early iirc and thought it was going to be a comfortable night. Of course Rochdale equalised and we went through the usual emotional wringer. I think a point suited both sides in the end but again I could be wrong.

Fifty years! Blimey.

I’ve interviewed John Templeman for this Saturday’s programme, with results elsewhere 1-1 indeed suited both teams to the point that Pat Saward ordered his team to keep the ball where possible but don’t attempt to score 😂

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Yes. Funny to remember that I only ever saw 3/4 of any game in those days, due to too many people standing in my way obstructing the view.

Never ever, do I want to go back to terraces.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes. Funny to remember that I only ever saw 3/4 of any game in those days, due to too many people standing in my way obstructing the view.

Never ever, do I want to go back to terraces.

I was learning to walk in 1972 :lolol: I remember vying for a view on the East terrace as a kid, must have contributed to me stretching up to 6'3" and usually standing at the back :rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A day I’ll never forget. I still think the 1910 charity shield was my favourite ever game but this came close.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yep, queueing in Goldstone Lane from about now, and then standing at the front of the Chicken Run, popping up the terrace to see my dad at half time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here