Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] So was Tony Soprano right all along...............

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

So is it just me in my old age feeling like Tony? Now fair play it was only the Harvester so hardly fine dining but surely it's still good manners to take your your baseball hat off. Packed to the rafters yesterday and I counted 4 blokes scoffing with their hats on. One was forgivable as looked only 15 and you could blame the parents. However, the other three were early mid 30's and aside the manners perhaps too old to have baseball hats on backwards.

Rant over!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

So is it just me in my old age feeling like Tony? Now fair play it was only the Harvester so hardly fine dining but surely it's still good manners to take your your baseball hat off. Packed to the rafters yesterday and I counted 4 blokes scoffing with their hats on. One was forgivable as looked only 15 and you could blame the parents. However, the other three were early mid 30's and aside the manners perhaps too old to have baseball hats on backwards.

Rant over!

I think you have resolved your conundrum by yourself.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I loves a baseball cap me but I wouldn’t wear one in a restaurant and certainly not at the table. Whether one is having a burger at the Harvester or high tea at The Connaught, standards must be upheld.

And please observe the no denim rule.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If the people they’re with don’t care that the person is wearing a hat then why the f*ck would anybody else care?

Standards. If you have to ask why, then…:shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A couple of months ago, not through choice I found myself in a Harvester.

The menu was slightly better than I expected/remembered.
The staff were pleasant and friendly.
The food was plenty good enough.

I could have paid a lot more for a lot worse.

It'll still not be in the culinary rotation of the Stats, but by the same token Harvester will no longer be dismissed out of hand.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If the people they’re with don’t care that the person is wearing a hat then why the f*ck would anybody else care?

Does you using the f word validate your opinion more? As a later poster points out it's just standards. Its like the Albion fans who don't let people exit the packed trains before they pile on. It's called courtesy and good manners.

el punal

When I scoff a hot dog/burger/piglet’s pie in the West Upper concourse I will make sure that I remove my imaginary, non-existent baseball cap so as to not offend the masses. I will insist on wearing my smoking jacket in those convivial surroundings though. :cheers:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A couple of months ago, not through choice I found myself in a Harvester.

The menu was slightly better than I expected/remembered.
The staff were pleasant and friendly.
The food was plenty good enough.

I could have paid a lot more for a lot worse.

It'll still not be in the culinary rotation of the Stats, but by the same token Harvester will no longer be dismissed out of hand.

I have eaten in a Harvester a few times over the years. I guess it would average out at maybe once very 9 years. Always been perfectly happy with my food and service. And I like the mini bread rolls.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Does you using the f word validate your opinion more? As a later poster points out it's just standards. Its like the Albion fans who don't let people exit the packed trains before they pile on. It's called courtesy and good manners.

I don’t think it validates my point any more or any less, if I’m honest. It’s a word.

It’s nothing like people barging on to a train before people get off which actually causes an inconvenience for people. Having a set system of who moves first makes things run smoother for everyone. Not wearing a hat at a dining table is an arbitrary rule made up decades before the people in question were born and has no actual reasoning behind it. There’s no more logic behind it then deciding people should take their watches off on public transport to show respect to the drivers timekeeping. I know more than one bloke under the age of 30 who wears a hat absolutely everywhere because they’re embarrassed by the fact they’re balding. At least one of the blokes in there was probably in a similar boat. It’s another problem with a society where more and more young men feel pressured in to reaching stupid standards of masculinity set by social media and reality TV.

Personally I’d find it more rude if the person I was dining with was so bored of my company that they spent time counting how many people were wearing hats than if they were wearing one themselves. But that’s just me, like.

You’re in a Harvester, not The Ritz. If some bloke you’ve never met before feels more comfortable in a hat then let them be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don’t think it validates my point any more or any less, if I’m honest. It’s a word.

It’s nothing like people barging on to a train before people get off which actually causes an inconvenience for people. Having a set system of who moves first makes things run smoother for everyone. Not wearing a hat at a dining table is an arbitrary rule made up decades before the people in question were born and has no actual reasoning behind it. There’s no more logic behind it then deciding people should take their watches off on public transport to show respect to the drivers timekeeping. I know more than one bloke under the age of 30 who wears a hat absolutely everywhere because they’re embarrassed by the fact they’re balding. At least one of the blokes in there was probably in a similar boat. It’s another problem with a society where more and more young men feel pressured in to reaching stupid standards of masculinity set by social media and reality TV.

Personally I’d find it more rude if the person I was dining with was so bored of my company that they spent time counting how many people were wearing hats than if they were wearing one themselves. But that’s just me, like.

You’re in a Harvester, not The Ritz. If some bloke you’ve never met before feels more comfortable in a hat then let them be.

All completely true but does it HAVE to be a baseball cap? Shove an Englishman in a flat cap or a bowler so that we know his class status FFS. Or a trilby. Or beeney.

:moo:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When I scoff a hot dog/burger/piglet’s pie in the West Upper concourse I will make sure that I remove my imaginary, non-existent baseball cap so as to not offend the masses. I will insist on wearing my smoking jacket in those convivial surroundings though. :cheers:

Fair enough. You'd wouldn't half look a plonker though.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

Great post. I couldn't care less what people at other dining tables are doing or wearing. That's their business and theirs alone. Unless they're being abusive, loud and rude to others in the establishment, what has it got to do with anyone else?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

What’s your take on men being reminded to wear shirts when they go into supermarkets, standards, or their free choice?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All completely true but does it HAVE to be a baseball cap? Shove an Englishman in a flat cap or a bowler so that we know his class status FFS. Or a trilby. Or beeney.

:moo:

#TeamDetectoristsAndy

detectorists_andy.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here