[Albion] Brighton's Attack Stat Attack - One Year On

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A longer article here

https://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?913-Brighton-Stat-Attack-Stats-%96-One-Year-On

Nearly a year after I looked to see if the Premier League stats page could show why we were underachieving against xG, I've redone them for this season. Some interesting stuff and a lot of obvious stuff really. Spoliers:

1) Our most improved player is Ali Mac
2) Biss has considerably improved his decision making
3) Maupay may be aiming for the corners more
4) Norwich are shit

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks GB, I'm just about to dive in, but initial thoughts are:
1, agree completely
2, probably
3, eh?
4, Pope = Catholic
I think that over the season, we played better last season than this, and this is reflected in the xG, and that it's a far better stat than many on here credit it for.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My prediction, based on what I have seen this season, is that we will be going into the ManU game with around 44 points tucked under our belts :thumbsup:.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
My prediction, based on what I have seen this season, is that we will be going into the ManU game with around 44 points tucked under our belts :thumbsup:.

Have you got the lotto numbers H? How is Bermuda at this time of year?

:moo:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Maybe more people would read it if you had some more decimals... now we're left wondering if Adam Idah has 0.2352941181 or 0.2352941182 accurate shots per game.

And you said you were terrible at maths........

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we played in a very structured way, say like Moyes has West Ham playing, then these stats would really have a context because the comparative stats would indicate where like for like improvement has occurred.

Where it's a bit mad for us is that MacA can be playing as a false 9, attacking threat with no striker such as against Spurs one week, then a week or so later he's at the base of a diamond shielding the defense at home to Saints.

I like Maupay, he gives his all when he plays, but I think he is what he is whether he is aiming at the corners a bit more (I'm assuming you mean corners of the goal rather than the actual corners...:p ) or just reacting to a different set of chances, but I think GP is inadvertently sending a bit of a message to the board that this side when it is really purring with this dynamic energy in 2/3rds of the pitch, needs a bit more fizzing from someone occupying the final 3rd. Thought Welbeck did this pretty well on Saturday. When the likes of Trossard and MacA have that extra linking element, it sparks an extra bit of movement, finding space, that Maupay as a focal point just doesn't get you.

I do fear Bissouma leaving is going to be bigger than perhaps some people think. His loss of form coinciding with a collective one, then our recent upsurge in form paused while he was suspended is a bit of a worrying indicator for me. If he goes, just because Mwepu and Caidcedo look very good, it's going to be very difficult to fill that void.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If we played in a very structured way, say like Moyes has West Ham playing, then these stats would really have a context because the comparative stats would indicate where like for like improvement has occurred.

Where it's a bit mad for us is that MacA can be playing as a false 9, attacking threat with no striker such as against Spurs one week, then a week or so later he's at the base of a diamond shielding the defense at home to Saints.

I like Maupay, he gives his all when he plays, but I think he is what he is whether he is aiming at the corners a bit more (I'm assuming you mean corners of the goal rather than the actual corners...:p ) or just reacting to a different set of chances, but I think GP is inadvertently sending a bit of a message to the board that this side when it is really purring with this dynamic energy in 2/3rds of the pitch, needs a bit more fizzing from someone occupying the final 3rd. Thought Welbeck did this pretty well on Saturday. When the likes of Trossard and MacA have that extra linking element, it sparks an extra bit of movement, finding space, that Maupay as a focal point just doesn't get you.

I do fear Bissouma leaving is going to be bigger than perhaps some people think. His loss of form coinciding with a collective one, then our recent upsurge in form paused while he was suspended is a bit of a worrying indicator for me. If he goes, just because Mwepu and Caidcedo look very good, it's going to be very difficult to fill that void.

All fair enough comments. The value from it this time around is really in comparing the two seasons and not the other clubs. However, as snarky as Swansman has been, Chelsea are a really good example of something that he consistently said on here - that goals can come from anywhere in the team and not just from a number nine. As you say, for us MacAllister shows that too, popping up from all over the pitch for 5 goals.

Yes, corner of the goal for Maupay :) - I thought it was interesting that his goals and assists are the same as last season but the proportion of his shots that are on target is much smaller. I'm totally flying a kite with that. Could just as easily be the type of chance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All fair enough comments. The value from it this time around is really in comparing the two seasons and not the other clubs. However, as snarky as Swansman has been, Chelsea are a really good example of something that he consistently said on here - that goals can come from anywhere in the team and not just from a number nine. As you say, for us MacAllister shows that too, popping up from all over the pitch for 5 goals.

Yes, corner of the goal for Maupay :) - I thought it was interesting that his goals and assists are the same as last season but the proportion of his shots that are on target is much smaller. I'm totally flying a kite with that. Could just as easily be the type of chance.

I wasn't criticising your exercise btw, just difficult to digest when there is so much flexibility in how we play - which I absolutely love. I suppose Maupay is one player who does play in 1 position so the comparison is pretty valid even if everything behind him is doing something different.

It's very interesting that the likes of Trossard are very much 'hot hands' players as those over the pond would say. MacA would appear to be the same as I thought he was as guilty as anyone against the likes of Norwich of hitting the back of the stand when he has the ability to hit the target more often than now.

Fingers crossed Caicedo has some goals in him, MacA, Mwepu, Caicedo all starting to chip in would certainly start to give other teams food for though about where our goal threat is coming from.

There are now 4 teams with less goals than us. And only 4 teams that have lost less games. Could be an interesting last 3 games to shape how we really reflect on this season.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Tuesday morning :bounce:

I opened this thread yesterday, but for some reason I didn't open the link - I must have got waylaid with family stuff.

First, thank you for the stats - they are excellent.

Here's my tuppence worth.

Initial findings are that Trossard and MacAllister are blossoming. The fact that they are both blossoming at the same time, is probably not a coincidence. Is it the service from midfield? I read somewhere that we have a Champions' League standard midfield. Caicedo likes to win the ball and initiate attacks. Warren sang his praises as the reason for Trossard's goal at Wolves.

For me, Cucurella has been the outstanding player of the season. He makes a real difference, not least because he is everywhere. The BBC chart shows his average position was on the halfway line against Wolves. Every time he surged forward, Caicedo dropped in to cover.

Although it is partially true to say that goals are coming from all over the pitch, they aren't coming from the fullbacks or wingbacks. Not a problem if they are beginning to come from elsewhere, but something to look at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here