Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul Van Hecke

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Blackburn’s player of the season as voted by the fans.
First team squad next season at the Albion I assume.
:facepalm:

Ohh a thread about a player who doesn't have any other threads about him. :facepalm:

But, yes.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
JPVH in to replace Burn, with Clarke and Karbo being moved on is my guess.

Roberts, Tsoungui and Offiah have all made the bench quite often, I would imagine one will stay around fist team and perhaps a champ loan for the others.

Either way, congratulations Van Hecke!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Roberts, Tsoungui and Offiah have all made the bench quite often, I would imagine one will stay around fist team and perhaps a champ loan for the others.

Thought Karbo was a loan-to-buy anyway? As the season has progressed, I've been less and less certain that we will move Clarke on (as a LCB he would be more of a direct replacement for BDB). All just speculation of course - we'll find out in the summer.

Has Tsoungui actually been on the bench in the PL? Can't have been very often, if at all.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thought Karbo was a loan-to-buy anyway? As the season has progressed, I've been less and less certain that we will move Clarke on (as a LCB he would be more of a direct replacement for BDB). All just speculation of course - we'll find out in the summer.

Has Tsoungui actually been on the bench in the PL? Can't have been very often, if at all.

Olympiakos are not going to use their option to buy Karbo.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Tsoungi hasn't made the bench for a PL game yet. He started the game against Cardiff in the League Cup, and was an unused sub for the Leicester game in the same competition. That's as close as he's got to the first team squad this season. I believe he's been injured since around mid December and has only just come back for the U23s.

Back on topic - Great for JPVH, cracking first season at that level and I think he'll be in or around the squad next season for certain.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Congratulations JPVH. Surely a no-brainer to bring him back and put him in the 22/23 Prem squad?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would guess there is like a 90% chance of this guy being in the squad next season.

The 10% chance of another loan deal is probably if the club can't sell Duffy AND if another megauntz-quality CB gets signed (which I believe is not out of the question). While every situation and every player is different, I would believe that in a scenario where he can get 5 games in Brighton or 46 games in the Championship, the club might go for the latter. He is only (soon) 22, there is no real hurry.

Most likely he'll be part of the team next season, the squad is arguably a centre back short.

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Rovers supporter here.
JPvH has been outstanding at Championship level.
Of course, it's a massive step up to the PL, but what he offers is an all-round game, and a superb attitude.
He is very comfortable with the ball at his feet, and he has a decent turn of pace. He will also throw himself in front of anything!
Having so much game-time with us must have brought him on by leaps and bounds, because U23 football just doesn't have the intensity.

Khadra is a bit harder to judge.
He is extremely skillful, and before the injury, he had certainly listened to Mowbray's urgings about what to do when he didn't have the ball.
My main criticism would be that he doesn't look up.
There were quite a few times when his initial pace and footwork took him into spaces from which he could have released forwards in very good positions.
Too often, he didn't spot them or decided to take on an extra defender.
Of course, this is not an uncommon issue with young wingers!
He probably needs another full season on loan in the Championship, before a decision can be made as to whether he is good enough for the PL.

Incidentally, does your club still have any interest in signing Ben Brereton Diaz? With Mowbray leaving, there is an even greater likelihood of his moving on.
I think we wouldn't accept anything less than about 12 million, though, because we are in for a major rebuild this summer, and I doubt that Venky's will be releasing much money beyond transfer-income.
I'm happy to field questions about his strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here