Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Zambia

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty much all good memories. Living on a ranch in Africa was an experience never to be forgotten. The journey there and back - two weeks by sea from Southampton to Capetown followed by two days on the train to Bulawayo - was memorable. The only less than positive memory was boarding school. And , even as a kid, I was very uncomfortable with the way the black people were treated by many white Rhodesians.

Not on the Winchester Castle? That was the ship we went on

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Pretty much all good memories. Living on a ranch in Africa was an experience never to be forgotten. The journey there and back - two weeks by sea from Southampton to Capetown followed by two days on the train to Bulawayo - was memorable. The only less than positive memory was boarding school. And , even as a kid, I was very uncomfortable with the way the black people were treated by many white Rhodesians.

i can't imagine being there as a school kid in the 50's , would have seemed like a different world , my wife's great grandmother went out to Rhodesia in the late 1800's , she was a professional photographer , some of her old photographs would be worth a fortune if they were in better condition , she settled in Salisbury.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
i can't imagine being there as a school kid in the 50's , would have seemed like a different world , my wife's great grandmother went out to Rhodesia in the late 1800's , she was a professional photographer , some of her old photographs would be worth a fortune if they were in better condition , she settled in Salisbury.

The school was set up on a disused airbase. Kids were sent there by relatives who genuinely believed they would have a better life in another country, and usually as a result of their parent(s) being unable to look after them due to divorce, death, or other family traumas. There were some pretty disturbed kids at the school who desperately missed their families and friends.I missed my parents who were only 75 miles away and who I saw every few weeks when they would come to Bulawayo for the day.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The school was set up on a disused airbase. Kids were sent there by relatives who genuinely believed they would have a better life in another country, and usually as a result of their parent(s) being unable to look after them due to divorce, death, or other family traumas. There were some pretty disturbed kids at the school who desperately missed their families and friends.I missed my parents who were only 75 miles away and who I saw every few weeks when they would come to Bulawayo for the day.

i know a lot of demobbed army men ended up out there after the war , my wife's grandad was sent out from cornwall with tb. you're school sounds like it would have been pretty tough going.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was standing at the Falls and who was next to me but Timothy Spall (Auf Wiedersehen Pet, The King's Speech, etc) and had a bit of a chat with him!

...which was nice.

<The Fast Show c. 1993>

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
You can't whack Ethiopia, been there every January for many years, very safe aside from the pickpockets, loads to see and do, great weather and nice peeps.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Fairbridge Memorial College which was set up for British child migrants as part of the Kingsley Fairbridge scheme, but which also had a number of children like myself whose parents had emigrated to the country. A very disconcerting environment.
I went to Milton in Bulawayo..... Hatfield in Salisbury..... before heading south to Cape Town.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Out on the Stirling Castle, back on the Edinburgh Castle with a brief stop in Madeira in each direction.
...and we emigrated back to the UK in the late 70s on Windsor Castle.... via Las Palmas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I lived and worked in Zambia for 3 years in the mid 1970's (73,4,5). I lived in Kitwe on the copperbelt and it all seems like another life now. I visited Vic Falls on several occasions as well as the game parks. We used to regularly take the firm's truck and shoot off into the Bush for a long weekends camping. Frightening looking back when there must have been various guerrilla groups training all over the area. Didn't even think about it at the time. Young and blissfully ignorant.
Happy memories, but I also remember being very glad to leave at the end of my contract.
My garden boy wanted to come to England with me. Didn't think that would look too good at Heathrow.!
One Zambia, one Nation (One airport, one station)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here