Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Zambia

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Off in a couple of hours so won't be on here for a few weeks ....unless i can manage to get to Livingstone for the Man u game next week , really hoping Enoch is fit as watching us beat the Mancs with a load of Zambians would be something to remember , all the best to all , enjoy the rest of the season and make sure you let Bissouma know he's wanted :thumbsup: ::albion2::albion2:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Off in a couple of hours so won't be on here for a few weeks ....unless i can manage to get to Livingstone for the Man u game next week , really hoping Enoch is fit as watching us beat the Mancs with a load of Zambians would be something to remember , all the best to all , enjoy the rest of the season and make sure you let Bissouma know he's wanted :thumbsup: ::albion2::albion2:

Spent some time there many years ago. Chartered a plane to get around as the country is huge. Make sure you swim to the Devil’s Armchair at the falls!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Spent some time there many years ago. Chartered a plane to get around as the country is huge. Make sure you swim to the Devil’s Armchair at the falls!

the falls are PUMPING mate , the river is the highest its been for a very long time according to the guides in the Livingstone area , a mind blowing amount of water and a very , very special river.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
the falls are PUMPING mate , the river is the highest its been for a very long time according to the guides in the Livingstone area , a mind blowing amount of water and a very , very special river.

The smoke that thunders is how it was described to me as a kid as we came close to it, which is how I believe the locals referred to Vic Falls. Lived in Rhodesia as a kid and went back to Zimbabwe as an adult, it was just as impressive to a middle aged man as it was to a kid. Zimbabwe, before Mugabe fecked it over, was and still is the best place that that I have ever been to.

Hope you are having fun in Zambia, hard not to I imagine.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

Went there a number of years ago and it was mind blowing the shear amount of water. Walking over Knife Bridge it felt like the water was hitting you from every direction. Absolutely soaked but so cool.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The smoke that thunders is how it was described to me as a kid as we came close to it, which is how I believe the locals referred to Vic Falls. Lived in Rhodesia as a kid and went back to Zimbabwe as an adult, it was just as impressive to a middle aged man as it was to a kid. Zimbabwe, before Mugabe fecked it over, was and still is the best place that that I have ever been to.

Africa certainly gets under your skin , a truly beautiful part of the world but so much poverty and corruption. Zambia has just elected a new PM and there is a lot of positivity around .......Zim is still a basket case and S.Africa is heading the same way , everyone under 40 who can leave is doing so.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

I know what you mean about Zimbabwe, what a great place to visit that used to be. When I was at Vic Falls I did a stomach churning flight in a 2 seater plane, what a few minutes that was! I stood on the bungee cage on the bridge but that was a step too far.
I was standing at the Falls and who was next to me but Timothy Spall (Auf Wiedersehen Pet, The King's Speech, etc) and had a bit of a chat with him!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Where in Rhodesia did you live? I lived there for a year in 56/57. Lived on a ranch in Shangani and went to school in Bulawayo. Unfortunately never saw the falls but plan to visit sometime soon.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Where in Rhodesia did you live? I lived there for a year in 56/57. Lived on a ranch in Shangani and went to school in Bulawayo. Unfortunately never saw the falls but plan to visit sometime soon.

it would have been something else back then.....!! good memories....??

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Same time as you then, I was there from 56 to 59ish ! My father was in the army and we were close to Lusaka which was then Northern Rhodesia. Lived in a couple of places but I was very young and I don't remember exactly where, just that they were very remote. Both parents dead so can't check with them sadly! I bloody loved it running around the bush and have some some very vivid memories of the countryside and Vic Falls which we visited for a few days. I can still remember being told not to hang my hands in the Zambezi on a small boat trip as I would catch some life threatening disease or be taken by a croc. Parents, eh?

The best thing I did when I went back, apart from Vic Falls was a walking safari down a dried out river bed with thick trees on either side and lots of strange animal and bird noises. Our guide had a gun (just in case :lolol:) and wow did the adrenaline flow during that walk.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

I agree, having lived and went to school in Rhodesia for 5 years back in the early 70s, travelled right across the country, I still think that Inyanga was the most stunning spot in southern africa... where did you go to school?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Before my time.. 70-75 .. but which school did you go to in Bulawayo.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Same time as you then, I was there from 56 to 59ish ! My father was in the army and we were close to Lusaka which was then Northern Rhodesia. Lived in a couple of places but I was very young and I don't remember exactly where, just that they were very remote. Both parents dead so can't check with them sadly! I bloody loved it running around the bush and have some some very vivid memories of the countryside and Vic Falls which we visited for a few days. I can still remember being told not to hang my hands in the Zambezi on a small boat trip as I would catch some life threatening disease or be taken by a croc. Parents, eh?

The best thing I did when I went back, apart from Vic Falls was a walking safari down a dried out river bed with thick trees on either side and lots of strange animal and bird noises. Our guide had a gun (just in case :lolol:) and wow did the adrenaline flow during that walk.

on a previous fishing trip on the Zambezi we put ashore to catch live bait , i ventured too far from the group and was approached by a few large baboons , i started walking back to the boat , they followed , i walked faster , so did they , i raised to a jog , them too.....i'm now at a full on sprint with them in pursuit , one of our group put a round over my head with some sort of Argentine assault rifle , scared the shit out of me and the baboons but gave the rest of the party a good laugh , lucky it was just monkeys that got too close , had close brushes with lions , hippos and elephants , in the wild you just don't know the ****ers are there.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree, having lived and went to school in Rhodesia for 5 years back in the early 70s, travelled right across the country, I still think that Inyanga was the most stunning spot in southern africa... where did you go to school?

All over the bloody place, we moved alot including ending up in Nigeria. My parents decided I needed to be in one place so sent me to Prep School at Claremont in Baldslow eventually

My first headmaster's report (which I now have and treasure) said "This boy is wild, I have my doubts that he will ever make a useful citizen" :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

that whole region boasts some outrageous scenery , i got taken to a baobab area down in the Zambezi valley , we camped overnight and woke up to watch one of the most beautiful sunrises
ever , surrounded by trees that are reckoned to be 2000-2500 yrs old after looking at the milky way until the small hours , something else , good for the soul.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
it would have been something else back then.....!! good memories....??

Pretty much all good memories. Living on a ranch in Africa was an experience never to be forgotten. The journey there and back - two weeks by sea from Southampton to Capetown followed by two days on the train to Bulawayo - was memorable. The only less than positive memory was boarding school. And , even as a kid, I was very uncomfortable with the way the black people were treated by many white Rhodesians.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Before my time.. 70-75 .. but which school did you go to in Bulawayo.

Fairbridge Memorial College which was set up for British child migrants as part of the Kingsley Fairbridge scheme, but which also had a number of children like myself whose parents had emigrated to the country. A very disconcerting environment.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

The life-threatening disease was probably Bilharzia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here