Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan Advisory Board Representatives .

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I voted Jack and believed he had the right credentials but had hoped that any of the 'younger' generation would succeed in getting in. Alas not the case and I am not altogether convinced we have the right people in place. But, as pointed out that is the democratic process.

D

Deleted member 2719

Genuinely disappointed that Seb Samrah didn’t get on this board, he had my vote, as someone who’s in his early 50’s I personally didn’t want the board to be populated by those of a certain age representing me, the likes of Seb and Jack are the true future of the fans of this club and both well connected with our past which cannot be forgotten.

Don’t give up Jack & Seb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really feel that we need the 20s, 30s, 40s age group, if you are under 20 or over 50s you are probably out of touch, if your over 60s perhaps they should be on gardening leave.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
FAB

Genuinely disappointed that Seb Samrah didn’t get on this board, he had my vote, as someone who’s in his early 50’s I personally didn’t want the board to be populated by those of a certain age representing me, the likes of Seb and Jack are the true future of the fans of this club and both well connected with our past which cannot be forgotten.

Don’t give up Jack & Seb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you - I must admit to being extremely disappointed that Sebastian wasn't elected, but worse things happen. The next FAB elections should permit more information to be circulated and the whole process should be far more transparent - including the number of votes cast. Anyway we move on.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I really feel that we need the 20s, 30s, 40s age group, if you are under 20 or over 50s you are probably out of touch, if your over 60s perhaps they should be on gardening leave.

It doesn't necessarily follow that you become 'out of touch' if you are over 50, nor that you 'should be on gardening leave if you are over 60'.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It doesn't necessarily follow that you become 'out of touch' if you are over 50, nor that you 'should be on gardening leave if you are over 60'.

Totally agreed. In the same way all under-30s aren't coke-taking hooligans.

I don't think anyone is knocking the democratic nature of this process, but there have been some constructive suggestions put forward for next time. Such as allowing candidates a bit more than 50 words to introduce themselves to people who don't know them personally. Perhaps too having the nominations/members divided up into demographic groups rather than the tickets/memberships held.

I think everyone appreciates that this is a) the first time the club are running this process and b) it is a positive that they WANT to include fans in some sort of advisory capacity. However, that also shouldn't preclude fair challenges/criticisms being made at the same time.

That's my two-pennyworth, anyway.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Does it matter what age the person is if they have the club and fans best interests at heart?

In short, yes - IMO, at least. Different age groups will have different priorities when it comes to areas of improvement/issues to focus on in the limited amount of time available for the FAB to discuss things, so it would be preferable to have a wide spread of ages present to ensure all aspects are given due consideration.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
In short, yes - IMO, at least. Different age groups will have different priorities when it comes to areas of improvement/issues to focus on in the limited amount of time available for the FAB to discuss things, so it would be preferable to have a wide spread of ages present to ensure all aspects are given due consideration.

And they can't tell the people who got voted in to pass that on or put it forward?

Isn't that the idea of representatives?

I'm sure if a 16 year old got in contact with Hiney and asked if he could put forth something he would do that in his role.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
And they can't tell the people who got voted in to pass that on or put it forward?

Isn't that the idea of representatives?

I'm sure if a 16 year old got in contact with Hiney and asked if he could put forth something he would do that in his role.

Perfectly logical suggestion, which I hope all elected representatives would follow . All I was saying was that in an ideal world you'd have direct representation from some of the younger age groups.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does it matter what age the person is if they have the club and fans best interests at heart?

I think so.

I'm a white middle-aged male STH who attends most home games and, currently, very few away games with my young son. I very much have fans' best interests at heart but, despite this, I think I'd struggle to represent...

- women of most ages
- those who attend many away games
- those with disabilities who attend games
- those signifantly older and younger than me

That list isn't exhaustive.

There will be nuances associated with each of those groups that, despite my best efforts to place myself in their shoes, I would have no appreciation of. I'm sure there would be numerous "Oh, I really hadn't considered that" moments. We don't know what we don't know.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think so.

I'm a white middle-aged male STH who attends most home games and, currently, very few away games with my young son. I very much have fans' best interests at heart but, despite this, I think I'd struggle to represent...

- women of most ages

There will be nuances associated with each of those groups that, despite my best efforts to place myself in their shoes, I would have no appreciation of. I'm sure there would be numerous "Oh, I really hadn't considered that" moments. We don't know what we don't know.

This sums it up in a far better manner than I've managed over several posts on this thread. Nail on the head, IMO.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I get that there's disappointment from some but we have to give it a go, be pleased this opportunity exists and get behind the representatives to support them in doing a great job for us all, tell them (politely) if we feel they missed something, and encourage them publicly and loudly when they speak for us. There's no point doing anything else, and like all good ideas I'm sure it'll iterate over time and in a few years it'll look different to how it does now.

If, say, by October we haven't signed a 30 goal a season striker, the words to GOSBTS are still on the screens, the North Stand doesn't resemble the Spurs banked end (but better) and the FA Cup money hasn't been found then we can get the pitchforks out and start complaining.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think so.

- women of most ages

I wouldn't think your colour, sex or age should matter.

It's who you come in contact with that is more important in my opinion. You might know 20-30 female fans but if the female appointed only knows 2-3 then you speaking to your friends/acquaintances might be able to provide a broader view than the lady can. Conversely if there's a female fan who has a lot of fan friends then there's no reason she can't represent the views of middle aged white men :clap:

I guess what I'm saying is the roles seem suited to the best listeners more than anything regardless of who those people are.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The people elected to the FAB have been elected to represent the whole fanbase. All ages. All genders. Everyone.

They're not expected to turn up with all the answers on day one. Especially when we don't even know what the question is!

The initial meeting, as I understand it, will be an introductory one, and setting the parameters and the agenda.

Part of that will obviously be finding out what the club want to achieve AND what the fans hope to see come out of this initiative.

Bozza's post above sums it up brilliantly (as usual) but it's worth bearing in mind that there are thousands of Albion fans who, believe it or not, don't visit NSC nor do they use Twitter.

How are we to find out what their agenda is?
Who is representing them?
We all are.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there are unpopular things that we cannot change no matter how much squealing there is.

For example you are not allowed bottle tops at gigs, not just The Albion, so please let's not waste time insisting on things like that. Let's be realistic.

I believe there are things we can do to help improve your day out (and mine) and I'm looking forward to getting some quick wins which I'm sure we can do.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
How are we to find out what their agenda is?
Who is representing them?
We all are.

r3tlnn43wpp21.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I never got an email asking me to vote, for whatever reason, but can I ask those here that got into the advisory board, how they propose to canvas views of the people they are representing, ie I'm a Member with certain concerns I'd like raised relative to how Members are treated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here