Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you live IN a Railway Station?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know we have a housing crisis but, on the face of it this is batshit mental isn't it?

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2022/04/29/architect-signals-new-future-for-portslade-station/

Taking people who need "more transient, shorter-term accommodation" and sticking them somewhere that is constantly noisy from 5.30am to late at night and / or putting people who have potentially got mental health needs or criminal records right on top of a commuter station doesn't seem to suit either party on the face of it. Although people are quite happy to live in Hallyburton or Portland, with only a garden between them and the trains, so who knows?

No, I'm not one of the objectors either :lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If it kept me from going off the rails, I’d consider it.

It’s a train of thought that I couldn’t really hitch my wagon to,though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I can't park right outside the front door, it's a no from me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My uncle and aunty did for decades. Henfield Station on the Shoreham to Horsham line. He had to take early retirement in 1964 (two years before he was 65) when the line closed.

My maternal grandmother and grandfather had the railway at the bottom of their garden in Cooksbridge.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
'Lack of outdoor space' - so just like living in a flat then. Excellent idea.

At my age I wouldn't fancy living in shared accommodation - that's more suitable for students and the like - but living on a station? Fine by me - I did for most of my chidhood.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
My uncle and aunty did for decades. Henfield Station on the Shoreham to Horsham line. He had to take early retirement in 1964 (two years before he was 65) when the line closed.

My maternal grandmother and grandfather had the railway at the bottom of their garden in Cooksbridge.

I bet they didn't share shower rooms and cooking facilities with other transients whilst being serenaded by the people getting off the last train from Brighton though :lolol:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I don't know, if it was a steam engine line and you were a clumsy sort then I imagine you would be chuffed to bits.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I would live there, no irony at all. I would happily sit there and watch the train activity. You'd get used to the sound of the trains early in the morning and late at night.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd prefer an old petrol station/garage myself . .

garage.jpg

https://youtu.be/F6UfMyBsaV8

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 196

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

A pedant writes ...

The line actually closed in 1966. 7th March to be precise.

But yes, that is interesting. Did they have to move out when the station was demolished? (There's a housing estate called 'The Beechings' now on the site).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here