Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Winchester; your tips…

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Off to Winchester for a long weekend with a pal in early May. We’ve done all the usual research, cathedral etc.
We are going for dinner at Rick Stein’s place on the Monday night and have the evening meals sorted. Do any of you NSC’ers know the place or have any tips for lunch, places to visit, hidden gems etc?
We have an air bnb bang centre and we like;

Meat
Ale
Afternoon tea
History
Wrestling on rugs in front of open fires.

Thanks in advance
TC :)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Off to Winchester for a long weekend with a pal in early May. We’ve done all the usual research, cathedral etc.
We are going for dinner at Rick Stein’s place on the Monday night and have the evening meals sorted. Do any of you NSC’ers know the place or have any tips for lunch, places to visit, hidden gems etc?
We have an air bnb bang centre and we like;

Meat
Ale
Afternoon tea
History
Wrestling on rugs in front of open fires.

Thanks in advance
TC :)

Winchester College. There are some great walks around the surrounding grounds. The buildings are great too.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
3TsUxYBT8_FgbZk_ceOhErw3VLcKrB0Lp5eWvv6SM1c.jpg

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Chesil Rectory for dinner/lunch. Then walk away from town and climb St Giles’ hill. There is a viewing platform which has lovely views of the city, particularly at night.

PS. My location is rather out of date, moved away in 2015!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Chesil Rectory for dinner/lunch. Then walk away from town and climb St Giles’ hill. There is a viewing platform which has lovely views of the city, particularly at night.

PS. My location is rather out of date, moved away in 2015!

Just googled the view. That’s bang on the list, stroll up there then down for an afternoon tea somewhere. Great shout.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Has a great garden also. Other excellent pubs: Wykeham Arms, Black Boy, Willow Tree (another great garden which backs on to the River) and St James' Tavern.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Black boy is on the list already, I’ll check the others out, ta.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Try the vegan options in The Bangkok Bistro and the Kyoto Kitchen and enjoy a couple of days without meat. You'll love it.

Sounds good. But.. I actually only eat meat in restaurants and not at home. I eat fish at home but save meat for a treat at restaurants, so on this trip I’m afraid meat will be consumed. Cheers though, I will maybe give it a go on another trip.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Sounds good. But.. I actually only eat meat in restaurants and not at home. I eat fish at home but save meat for a treat at restaurants, so on this trip I’m afraid meat will be consumed. Cheers though, I will maybe give it a go on another trip.

Strangely enough, I only eat fish, and occasionally meat, in restaurants and I eat almost exclusively vegetarian at home. My daily chorizo for lunch and occasional tuna steak from the local fish market being the notable exceptions.

Edit: enjoy your weekend and keep us informed on the menu choices.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Strangely enough, I only eat fish, and occasionally meat, in restaurants and I eat almost exclusively vegetarian at home. My daily chorizo for lunch and occasional tuna steak from the local fish market being the notable exceptions.

I’d say I have a 90% vegetarian diet. I am not a great cook and can’t afford to buy good, ethically reared meat very often (I don’t want to buy or eat cheap meat) so I leave it to the experts for a treat a few times a year.
Don’t miss regular meat dishes at all and feel much “lighter” if that makes sense.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Willow Tree has a nice beer garden and is a little out of town so might have space if the rest is busy.
Another recommendation for Black Boys,I think the Eclipse was good and a few pubs near the cathedral were nice.
I've been the Rick Stein's and I think it's very well done there.

There was also a very nice cafe/bar that did jazz occasionally but I can't find it online so may have closed. It was really good for breakfast and lunches.

I would also recommend the Gurkha museum but each to their own.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Ah, I see you’re in Portugal. That opens up a world of fantastic seafood, I should think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here