Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Please help Max’s granny with a techie question!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I am coming to England at the beginning of June to visit my 97 year old housebound Mum for the first time in 3 years. She doesn’t have internet/wifi at home and using my Aussie phone will cost a fortune in data.

I am thinking of buying a sim card when I arrive. Can anyone recommend the best place to go, or to avoid, to get a decent deal please?

Or is there any other way of having internet for a couple of weeks that won’t involve taking out a mortgage?

I would like to be able to FaceTime Oz a few times so Mum can see her great-grandson. She always asks me to look things up on “that internet thing” when I talk to her on the phone so I’m sure I’ll be her personal encyclopaedia whilst I’m there! And how will I be able to keep up with Wordle with no internet:lol:

Any suggestions/advice will be much appreciated.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Search for "preloaded sim" on ebay. Loads of cheap sims to put in an unlocked phone that come with a set amount of data. Saves setting up any contract etc.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This with the caveat that the phone you use it in will need to be an unlocked one.

Get a mifi would be my suggestion they aren't expensive (~£40-75) and then you can connect multiple devices to it. Cuts out the hassle of having to have your tethering on all the time. Plus you won't have to swap your sim out of your phone so you can keep your number active. Oh and when you go back you can simply swap out the sim for whatever far flung place you end up next.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Get a mifi would be my suggestion they aren't expensive (~£40-75) and then you can connect multiple devices to it. Cuts out the hassle of having to have your tethering on all the time. Plus you won't have to swap your sim out of your phone so you can keep your number active. Oh and when you go back you can simply swap out the sim for whatever far flung place you end up next.

Thumbsup for this solution …used one at my late Dads place with a SIM card from Smarty ….I was getting 30gb for a tenner a month early last year

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Thank you all for your replies. Certainly given me some options to investigate :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here