He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Are you stockpiling cooking oils?

UK stockpiling cooking oils amidst shortages

I've just sent mrs Crodo out to our local Tesco to get 3 bottles if possible as we're now down to our last 11 litres of oil.

Usual nonsense, I suggest you have a drive out into the Sussex Countryside and see the vast acres of rapeseed out there.

Still won't stop some clearing the shelves of course, personally I fear a world Lard Shortage putting my Roasties into jeopardy... :lolol:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've just sent mrs Crodo out to our local Tesco to get 3 bottles if possible as we're now down to our last 11 litres of oil.

#westandwithCrodo

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I always have two bottle of veg oil in. Which last me about 6 months because I don’t cook with oil much and if I fry and egg, the oil, once cooled, is decanted into a separate bottle for re-use.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe if it becomes a serious problem, we could stop using vegitable oils it in biodiesel.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
We've been out to sensibly stock up and buy up every bottle we could find, but sadly all the tossers who panic-buy every time they hear there's going to be a shortage have already emptied all the shelves. Mrs Brovion is currently trying to work out if she can make a cooking oil substitute from all the surplus toilet rolls and pasta we sensibly stocked up on during the early days of the pandemic. She thinks it's possible if if we mix it with some of the petrol we sensibly stocked up on during the fuel shortage and is currently stored in jerrycans in the shed.

Currently our biggest problem is trying to work out how to use all the gas we sensibly stocked up on before the price rice and is currently stored in loads of party balloons in the loft.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Olive tree in next doors garden

have 20 L of mineral 20/50 oil in the workshop if things get really desperate

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We've been out to sensibly stock up and buy up every bottle we could find, but sadly all the tossers who panic-buy every time they hear there's going to be a shortage have already emptied all the shelves. Mrs Brovion is currently trying to work out if she can make a cooking oil substitute from all the surplus toilet rolls and pasta we sensibly stocked up on during the early days of the pandemic. She thinks it's possible if if we mix it with some of the petrol we sensibly stocked up on during the fuel shortage and is currently stored in jerrycans in the shed.

Currently our biggest problem is trying to work out how to use all the gas we sensibly stocked up on before the price rice and is currently stored in loads of party balloons in the loft.

Have you got rooom for an hot air balloon? I have one full of gas, but accidentally bought 2 when bidding on ebay after a few too many glasses of ground nut oil.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Had a delivery this very morning.

Buy-sunflower-oil-Online.jpg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When I have cooked my McCains Gastro Chips in the oven (which are marvellous by the way), I pour the beef dripping that coated the chips into a tupperware pot - and it lasts a couple of weeks.

Mind you - I have also poured it onto my back drive which is stone/gravel/dust - and it makes a fantastic binding agent! Sets like concrete.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I fry everything in diesel. When that runs out I’ll start on the puffin oil. Nuttier than you’d think. Aren’t we all, darling!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I fry everything in diesel. When that runs out I’ll start on the puffin oil. Nuttier than you’d think. Aren’t we all, darling!

I do my fish goujons in seagull feather oil, it gives a lovely 'chippy' flavour

funny thing is, I like my chips fried in Dolphin lard for the unique fishy piquancy

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I did get an extra one - albeit the spray as that is as that is pretty much all I use.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Usual nonsense, I suggest you have a drive out into the Sussex Countryside and see the vast acres of rapeseed out there.

Still won't stop some clearing the shelves of course, personally I fear a world Lard Shortage putting my Roasties into jeopardy... :lolol:

We still imported 631,000 tonnes last year (most of it from Ukraine)……all that fast food can’t be cooked without it :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A drum of Castrol R is shirley the answer? Helps if it is going though a Manx Norton...

I have a few litres of R. Smells just as nice through a hard thrashed Lambretta. . . May try it on the BBQ :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here