Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Great Escape Festival

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Anyone going this year? I've got tickets for Friday and Saturday but only heard of a few bands. Any recommendations for bands to see? I've BC Camplight, Mattiel and Yard Act on the list so far.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Done 4 times previously and very jealous of anyone going, always really enjoyed it and found 1-2 new bands that I really liked.

Are there any day tickets still available? If so I might make a last ditch effort to get down there.

I recommend Douglas Dare if you like Thom Yorke's solo piano stuff, mixed with a bit of Olafur Arnalds.

Muna are meant to be decent - done a track with Phoebe Bridgers which has gone pretty big.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yard Act are great but, to me, more 6 Music regulars than new and undiscovered. Quite jealous nevertheless.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Yes. Really looking forward to it.

Lots to look forward to.

Bad Waitress from Canada are one of my top picks so far but also Dea Matrona, Bicurious, the afore mentioned Yard Act, Beach Riat, Coach Party, English Teacher, Crawlers amongst many many others

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Done 4 times previously and very jealous of anyone going, always really enjoyed it and found 1-2 new bands that I really liked.

Are there any day tickets still available? If so I might make a last ditch effort to get down there.

I recommend Douglas Dare if you like Thom Yorke's solo piano stuff, mixed with a bit of Olafur Arnalds.

Muna are meant to be decent - done a track with Phoebe Bridgers which has gone pretty big.

Looks like ticket page is down, not sure if this means sold out or not. Thanks for recommendations, looks like these are all on Thursday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Looks like ticket page is down, not sure if this means sold out or not. Thanks for recommendations, looks like these are all on Thursday.

I had a glance earlier - looks like there are still tickets. I might get involved.

Ah rubbish - sorry I skim read your initial post.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm going. Hoping to get in to the Gabriels gig, though this does clash with CASisDEAD at Coalition.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I've been giving BC Camplight more of a listen and can thoroughly recommend. Lots of their songs remind me of Super Furries

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Got my ticket carried over from 2020.
Not made any kind of plan yet but I did see that The Bug Club are playing Friday afternoon.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Ooo. Not going to TGE, but we saw The Bug Club at The Albert in Jan, and thought they were marvellous fun.

What is frustrating is they play 3.30pm at Brighthelm- going to be a rush to get there from work. They are also playing The Komedia in October which is much better.

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Best weekend of the year in Brighton. I know some on here think it isn't quite what it used to be, however I don't see it.

Acts at TGE generally fall into three categories; undiscovered, breaking or established but needing a boost. I avoid the latter category, not least as it can draw the causal punter and thus queues.

Like many in this thread, I've attended great gigs in tiny venues at TGE including Squid, IDLES, Sam Fender, London Grammar. Alabama Shakes, etc.

Thanks for the recommendations in this thread; Mattiel and The Bug Club have been added to my list. Beyond the obvious such as Yard Act, I'd recommend Pist Idiots, Bob Vylan and Gabriels.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Best weekend of the year in Brighton. I know some on here think it isn't quite what it used to be, however I don't see it.

Acts at TGE generally fall into three categories; undiscovered, breaking or established but needing a boost. I avoid the latter category, not least as it can draw the causal punter and thus queues.

Like many in this thread, I've attended great gigs in tiny venues at TGE including Squid, IDLES, Sam Fender, London Grammar. Alabama Shakes, etc.

Thanks for the recommendations in this thread; Mattiel and The Bug Club have been added to my list. Beyond the obvious such as Yard Act, I'd recommend Pist Idiots, Bob Vylan and Gabriels.

Yard Act will be impossible to get into I reckon. Well, obvs not impossible, but only if you want to spend time queuing.

Big vote for Mattiel.

Can I put a mention in for Police Car Collective too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Ooo. Not going to TGE, but we saw The Bug Club at The Albert in Jan, and thought they were marvellous fun.

Thanks for The Bug Club recommendation, liking them a lot, a bit of The Go Betweens about them. Will go and see them.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks for The Bug Club recommendation, liking them a lot, a bit of Rhe Go Betweens about them. Will go and see them.

Excellent. Just found out that they're also playing at End of the Road, which means I should get to see them three times this year.
The bass player has the mannerisms of Angus Young live, I thought.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm off next Friday and I want to see Andrew Cushin at The Tempest at lunchtime. Can I just rock up to the pub and listen or do I need a ticket?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I'm off next Friday and I want to see Andrew Cushin at The Tempest at lunchtime. Can I just rock up to the pub and listen or do I need a ticket?

Ticket required to get an armband that allows entry. Think day tickets are sold but could try website

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here