Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today’s referee (Saints)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’m not gonna moan about the disallowed offside goal because I’ve only seen the incident in real play and can’t comment other than I trust the technology, BUT I felt today’s match officials fell for all of Saints tricks and diving, missed a number of off the ball fouls on Welbeck and generally didn’t give us much

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I rarely complain about the referees but this one was very, very bad... and despite that, he looked world class compared to the linesmen.

As for the offside goal I'm still not sure. They just randomly drew a line and decided he was offside.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
The ref was shocking, was he from Southampton?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Can't say he really stuck out as poor - some people around me were getting very upset at some minor decisions that went Saints way but I guess the big call was the offside and that was decided by VAR.

All Referees tend to stop the game whenever a player goes to ground clutching their face - and some teams play on it.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Can't say he really stuck out as poor - some people around me were getting very upset at some minor decisions that went Saints way but I guess the big call was the offside and that was decided by VAR.

All Referees tend to stop the game whenever a player goes to ground clutching their face - and some teams play on it.

He was very poor. He missed/ignored a blatant push just before Saints first goal, which if given would not have led to their free kick and goal.

I can understand why he stopped play for the Saints injury as it looked bad , but it was not a head injury but why he called the play back for an offside decision in our favour when we were on the break only he knows.

Along with the missed / ignored fouls against us he was generally very poor,

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As others have rightly said, the East side linesman was miles behind and away with the fairies. Ref looks across at him for a decision at one point, and just stares blankly back, so the ref guesses. And as with most the decisions today, it didn't go to us.

Really bad performance

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Shite, especially in the second half, it seemed like almost every time one of our players got anywhere near a Saints player he gave them a free kick.
You never notice a good ref, i noticed this t**t every five minutes, proper look at me type especially when every player from both sides were ready to start the second half the ref and t***s with the flags were nowhere to be seen.
:rant:
Rant over.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was either biased or should not be reffing at this level. Any top ref would not have bought into Saints theatrics and niggly play otherwise.

Worst I have seen this season and the East stand lino I fear may be a Saints fan. The refusal to call the ref’s attention to the two handed push on Welbeck (?) in the second half right in front of him was unbelievable. Bruno who was sat just in front of me’s reaction at the time and after the replay on the press screens was hands in the air disbelief. He seldom shows much emotion during the game.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
There were many times they didnt see the push in the back in the game. He was very pernikerty in the first half with both teams for where free kicks and throwins should be taken. Which I dont mind it is refreshing. He gave up doing that in the second half so no consistency which is terrible for a ref. Also another team that cant recognise a foul throw.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
He was either biased or should not be reffing at this level. Any top ref would not have bought into Saints theatrics and niggly play otherwise.

Worst I have seen this season and the East stand lino I fear may be a Saints fan. The refusal to call the ref’s attention to the two handed push on Welbeck (?) in the second half right in front of him was unbelievable. Bruno who was sat just in front of me’s reaction at the time and after the replay on the press screens was hands in the air disbelief. He seldom shows much emotion during the game.
He is very inexperienced, brought in from Oz to make up the deficit. Which also begs the question why are we getting these inexperienced referees at home every game (this was his second at the Amex). He and a couple others had their first match here.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
They played for free kicks every time which is understandable when they have the best set piece taker in the league. Unfortunately the referee fell for it without fail. I’m not sure that Tella bloke touched the ball once without falling over under minimal contact.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thought the standard was on par for the premier league which isn't saying much.

For what is supposed to be the best league in the world, the level of referees is the obvious weak link.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here