Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Council tax

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dunno why they couldn't just knock the £150 off the annual bills sent out in March. Would have been much easier and less costly.

Agree; I guess the big software company mentioned in a previous post has connections to a Tory donor, friend, family member or neighbour.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think also it's to do with government funding. As far as I can see, this is direct Government payments to council-tax payers, the idea being to help us. If they knocked £150 off the council tax bill - then the local councils would simply receive £150 less, and it is they that would then be disadvantaged. They'd then have to claim all the refunds back off the Government - causing additional admin and so on. The £150 will also go to those who are liable for council-tax but have an exemption, or reduction in payments. If you knocked £150 off a bill of £0, they wouldn't receive anything (and as mentioned, the payment is to help with energy and so on). Finally, not everyone pays by DD - so this way means that everyone should actually get something.

I can see the logic in doing it this way - as well as the psychological aspect.

At least someone on here appears to understand that this has nothing to do with Council Tax and understands the reason why it can't just be a reduction in CT.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Will this be the same "fraud prevention reasons" that worked so very well on CJRS, SEISS and bounce back loans?

No, this is being done by Local Government, therefore there are fraud prevention measures.

Fraud is encouraged by the Central Government.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Won't be getting it here - property is Band E (although, apparently it was Band D when built in the mid 90's and was changed since, no idea when or why!).

I'm more concerned about the utility bill BS that's coming - can we opt out before it happens? I'm in a position where I don't need a short term discount in exchange for a longer term repayment plan. I'd rather just carry on as normal (especially if, as forecast, utility prices continue to rise into next year - I don't want increased prices + repaying an unsolicited "loan").

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Won't be getting it here - property is Band E (although, apparently it was Band D when built in the mid 90's and was changed since, no idea when or why!).

I'm more concerned about the utility bill BS that's coming - can we opt out before it happens? I'm in a position where I don't need a short term discount in exchange for a longer term repayment plan. I'd rather just carry on as normal (especially if, as forecast, utility prices continue to rise into next year - I don't want increased prices + repaying an unsolicited "loan").

I think you may be mistaking the £150 CT rebate [not required to be repaid] with the £200 Energy Bill credit we will all get in October and will require to be repaid in four £50 instalments over the following 2 years - affectionately called the "loan, not a loan".

Not sure about opt outs but for the £150 CT only for property bands A, B, C & D ....
Q Why would you turn away a free monetary handout?
A1 Filthy rich [why you living in a band A-D?]
A2 Holding very high ground in moral fibre [what you doing on here?]

For the £200 loan, not a loan - just think of it as a 24 month interest free loan

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think you may be mistaking the £150 CT rebate [not required to be repaid] with the £200 Energy Bill credit we will all get in October and will require to be repaid in four £50 instalments over the following 2 years - affectionately called the "loan, not a loan".

Not sure about opt outs but for the £150 CT only for property bands A, B, C & D ....

For the £200 loan, not a loan - just think of it as a 24 month interest free loan

It doesn't look like a mistake to me. The poster said he doesn't qualify as council tax band E but that he didn't want the unsolicited loan of two hundred pounds. I also don't want it. It seems it may backfire as energy prices may be even higher in a year or two, I would rather pay upfront and not have an unwanted surcharge adding insult to injury.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was going to invoice Adur for the cost of doing my own refuse and recycling for the last 5-6 weeks.

Seeing as I've already paid for it, at their prefered rate, I don't see they have any grounds to not reimburse me.

2 mile round trip I've calculated uses 0.45L petrol, (car @ average of 15mph does 20mpg)

an hour a week total @ time and a half as I'm working on a Sunday, say £30.

£30.80 x 5 weeks, round it down, as I'm feeling generous . . .£150 should cover it.

Add £100 for the trauma and effect on mental health

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

No, you are misunderstanding my post.

I said quite clearly I'm not eligible for the CT rebate. And then flowed into a rant about the stupid utility bill loan scheme.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I can't find through googling so thought I'd try here... does it matter if you moved councils through the middle of the tax year? We moved councils in January. Will we just get £150 rebate from our new council?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
My local council, Swale, played a blinder on this, well when I say played a blinder I think they may have had Stevie Wonder pressing the button to do the rebates, as instead of giving everyone £150 they TOOK £150 in a direct debit payment!

After apparently having a heart attack, said button presser realised their mistake and got Stevie Wonder to pay everyone their £150 back.

The actual rebate was then provided the next day.

What's that expression about organising drinks in a purveyor of ales?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here