Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Getting a moped

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whats the process ?

I've been stroking my chins about buying one for the missus for her birthday, and lining up the requisite riding course for her to get her license. But I have zero experience in this field. It only needs to be a pootler, nothing powerful and I'm an absolute tightarse so naturally it'll be 2nd hand.

I'll be looking this stuff up for myself, but NSC is the eternal fountain of knowledge, so I thought I'd throw this out to the class xx

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Whats the process ?

I've been stroking my chins about buying one for the missus for her birthday, and lining up the requisite riding course for her to get her license. But I have zero experience in this field. It only needs to be a pootler, nothing powerful and I'm an absolute tightarse so naturally it'll be 2nd hand.

I'll be looking this stuff up for myself, but NSC is the eternal fountain of knowledge, so I thought I'd throw this out to the class xx

Don't you like your missus?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Get her one of these

Picture1.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I read this as "I want a moped but it feels a bit silly so I'm going to use my wife as an excuse."

Its more "I can drive and she can't, and I quite like a lie-in rather than yomping into Shoreham to give her a lift to work at 7am"

theboybilly

I'll dive in here and suggest a Piaggio Liberty 50. Why? Because for a novice the bigger wheels will inspire confidence. It looks stylish and comes from a good brand. It also has, a USB charging socket and decent underseat storage for a helmet or a bit of shopping. It'll last and won't be on the top of scooter thieves' lists. Although the Chinese imports are steadily getting better I think their best products are made with European quality control (KTM, BMW & Triumph for example) I'd leave cheap stuff like Lexmoto alone. You get what you pay for, stick with the Big 4Japanese or those Europeans that really know about scooters, Piaggio or Peugeot. You'll find a nice used example quite easily I would have thought

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I would suggest getting a minimum of a 125 it’s safer as it can keep up with traffic, no problem
unless she already has a motorcycle license, she will need to do a CBT (compulsory basic training) it not a test as such as in you can’t fail but you maybe asked to do more training if you do get up to a standard.

Once you get a CBT you can ride a 125 motorcycle or scooter with L plates.

When booking the CBT they can lend you the bike and kit so she would be able see if she liked it.

As well as this you will need to factor in riding gear, such as helmet, jacket, gloves, boot, trousers.

As a female motorcyclist, I am only 5ft 3 and the seat height and width as well as the weight can have a big factor on the confidence. Scooters can have a high and wide seat.

SYM do reasonably priced scooters, my brother in law has one and has had no issues. I think they are quite popular in mainland Europe.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not sure if they are available in the UK but my wife and I both bought Sym 125cc scooters. Very reliable and good value.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It would have to be a maximum of 125cc on L plates.

I understand that but what I meant was not get a 50cc scooter. I think they are dangerous because they do under 30 miles an hour restricted so you will always have some impatient knob trying to over take inappropriately.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Still in the motorcycle trade now after 25 years so here goes....

Chinese - Improving but spares back up is patchy.

Italian - Cool, but like all things Italian can look better than it works, spares back up CAN be patchy

Japanese - Most reliable, but in the current climate even they have spares issues at times.

100cc IS the minimum way to go, anything less and she will be pushed into the gutter by the traffic around her.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No license? Try an electric bike - none of the formalities, insurance, etc, - and you can borrow it to go to the pub in the evening!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I understand that but what I meant was not get a 50cc scooter. I think they are dangerous because they do under 30 miles an hour restricted so you will always have some impatient knob trying to over take inappropriately.

Ah ok. My last ride on a 50cc was over 40 years ago. Ride a bike well big enough to accelerate out of potential dangerous situations now if needed, can see having a 125cc would have a similar ability.

Deliveroo kids on 50cc scooters are bl00dy annoying as a car driver.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its more "I can drive and she can't, and I quite like a lie-in rather than yomping into Shoreham to give her a lift to work at 7am"

Would an e-bike not suffice?

There's a style for every situation including ones that fold into back of said car.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would an e-bike not suffice?

There's a style for every situation including ones that fold into back of said car.

And with a bicycle there’s no need to worry about the Highway Code or pay road tax. Seems easier option all round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here