Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Argus hits rock bottom

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Today’s front cover of the print version.

Given what that lady and her family have done for this City in employment and charity work over the years, not to mention how many column inches they’ve given the Argus with ‘good news stories’ and advertising revenue over the years, today’s coverage is disgusting.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
People still read the Argus? Why?

I stopped some years ago when the lazy ****wits they employ decided grammar, punctuation and spelling no longer mattered and they decided they couldn't be arsed to check their copy before going to print. I've seen a significantly better quality of journalism and publishing in parish newsletters.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Still a bit cryptic. You are saying something and nothing. No worries I will move on (and still won’t be opening their crap website).

Sorry old boy, I was referring to the actual front cover of the paper version, we had to get it for an Obituary copy to send to a family.

I just posted on here because I was so angry and disgusted.

Rant over 🙈

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Today’s front cover.

Given what that lady and her family have done for this City in employment and charity work over the years, not to mention how many column inches they’ve given the Argus with ‘good news stories’ and advertising revenue over the years, today’s coverage is disgusting.

The only part of your post I disagree with is the title which should read “The Argus continues at rock bottom”. It’s been a lazy click bait newspaper unfortunately now for a few years.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry old boy, I was referring to the actual front cover of the paper version, we had to get it for an Obituary copy to send to a family.

Rant over 🙈

Care to share a little less cryptically so we don’t have to buy it? Even if you heavily redact it?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I decided to take a look.

1 The have really cleaned up the website - genuinely surprised and offering an advert free subscription.
2 The Sue Aldis murder trial reporting is not prominent, although it may have been splashed across the paper. It seems they are reporting on the trial, which is not something you can really pretty up.

In summary I haven't seen the paper, but will check the website over the next few days and decide if I want to subscribe. It looks more like a turning point for the Argus to me and nothing like some of the seriously low points they have hit in recent years.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Argus hasn't only just reached rock bottom, it did that many years ago. The same can be said for many local rags unfortunately. Give it a few more years and the paper copy will probably cease to exist.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

Rant over ��

but no-one knows what you are talking about. Some may well feel very similar and support your cause (if you have one)

BTW - 'Angry and disgusted of Sussex'. I'm sure i've seen your letters appearing in Private Eye...:cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was sent a link to the story in the Times by a mate earlier. While the case is horrible and the little scrote's defence pathetic, there was nothing wrong with the way the story was reported. Goodness knows what the Anus have done with it, and I'm not sure I wish to know.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I decided to take a look.

1 The have really cleaned up the website - genuinely surprised and offering an advert free subscription.
2 The Sue Aldis murder trial reporting is not prominent, although it may have been splashed across the paper. It seems they are reporting on the trial, which is not something you can really pretty up.

In summary I haven't seen the paper, but will check the website over the next few days and decide if I want to subscribe. It looks more like a turning point for the Argus to me and nothing like some of the seriously low points they have hit in recent years.

Thank you

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm no fan of the Argus and it's recent dip in standards but from what I have seen, the coverage of this is nothing more than a fair and contemporaneous report of court proceedings. Disturbing but fair.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Today’s front cover.

We're not mind readers!!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
As a former local journo I've watched with dismay how once-thriving newspapers have been starved of funds, and staff, and training, and all the rest of it. This is simply down to the arrival of the internet. Back in the 80s, when I started out, local newspapers were the most important way of sharing news and other info. So the advertising revenue was big, the paginations were healthy, and people bought them.

I often feel sorry for local reporters who are described as lazy or badly trained. They work in tiny teams, on terrible pay; there are few if any old heads in the newsroom to learn from (there's often no newsroom at all), and they're expected to generate content that can compete with what the hive mind on social media is generating in real time. And once their job is done, their words are picked apart and ridiculed by some abusive halfwits in the below-the-line comments.

I know this thread isn't specifically about much of this, but I do feel like most local hacks get a pretty raw deal. At least compared to the heyday of the medium that I was lucky enough to be part of.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As a former local journo I've watched with dismay how once-thriving newspapers have been starved of funds, and staff, and training, and all the rest of it. This is simply down to the arrival of the internet. Back in the 80s, when I started out, local newspapers were the most important way of sharing news and other info. So the advertising revenue was big, the paginations were healthy, and people bought them.

I often feel sorry for local reporters who are described as lazy or badly trained. They work in tiny teams, on terrible pay; there are few if any old heads in the newsroom to learn from (there's often no newsroom at all), and they're expected to generate content that can compete with what the hive mind on social media is generating in real time. And once their job is done, their words are picked apart and ridiculed by some abusive halfwits in the below-the-line comments.

I know this thread isn't specifically about much of this, but I do feel like most local hacks get a pretty raw deal. At least compared to the heyday of the medium that I was lucky enough to be part of.

No excuse for the half-witted glaring errors in headlines or not employing a competent proof reader. The level of literacy in the small bit of content not hidden by the paywall is pitiful

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

In the olden days Before NSC took over the world, one purchased the Arsegas at least on Mondays and Thursdays as you had to find out what was going on at the club, who was broken/mended signed/pissed up the pink coconut etc.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In the olden days Before NSC took over the world, one purchased the Arsegas at least on Mondays and Thursdays as you had to find out what was going on at the club, who was broken/mended signed/pissed up the pink coconut etc.

And of course the pink Sports Edition on Saturday evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here