Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Mortgages 2022

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mortgage rates have been on an upward trajectory since January due primarily to three recent Bank of England base rate rises. Combined with the cost of living crisis and the war in Ukraine, these events have coincided to create a perfect storm in the mortgage industry.

Two things are likely to happen this year:

- Firstly, those who took out a mortgage in the last two to five years and find themselves approaching a rate review, either via re-mortgage or product transfer are likely to experience a payment shock as the rates on offer are now broadly higher.

- Secondly, most lenders have made adjustments to their affordability calculators, factoring in inflation and the higher cost of living experienced by many households. In many instances, this could mean those looking for a new mortgage find they are unable to borrow as much as they previously could.

You can prepare for this, and give yourself a chance of securing the best possible deal, by looking around 6 months before the rate ends

I have arranged mortgages for many NSCers over the years, and I am happy to help anyone who wants to see what may be available to them.

You can PM me on NSC, or contact me via my website.

US/GG

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Does all this financial pressure coming up over the next 12+ months point to a probable upward trend of bankruptcy and repossessions as folk effectively live beyond their means?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Does all this financial pressure coming up over the next 12+ months point to a probable upward trend of bankruptcy and repossessions as folk effectively live beyond their means?

It'll be interesting to see if it makes the car bubble burst. you'd have thought people would let material non necessities go before the roof over their heads.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It'll be interesting to see if it makes the car bubble burst. you'd have thought people would let material non necessities go before the roof over their heads.

Too many are tied into a leasing deal these days. Getting out of them can be quite difficult/expensive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What's the rate decision going to be on the 4th May?

it wont be down, 0 to 0.25% increase (there will be an increase).

Lego-Stand

Nov 6, 2003
We used US the end of last year, I think if we waited the best 5 year fixed rate is 2.7% and we got at the time 1.45% which is a saving of £82 a month or £4100 over the 5 years.
I still haven't bought him a pint

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

for most their car is a necessity. the Netflix will go, reduce the Sky package and maybe cut the gym before the car. a lot of car financing is underwritten (even provided?) by manufacturers, so they'll absorb some interest rate rise.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, once again I will vouch for US who we used a couple of months ago. He's great.

I would also echo his advice to start the ball rolling 6 months before your due date.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mortgage paid off. If you have a wedge somewhere (and happily we did via my late Mother-in-Laws house sale) can I just say use it to pay it off, your mental health will improve dramatically.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Mortgage paid off. If you have a wedge somewhere (and happily we did via my late Mother-in-Laws house sale) can I just say use it to pay it off, your mental health will improve dramatically.

Depends what rate you are on..... If I can't get more than 1.99% by investing... I need to give up!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

No-one is selling new cars anyway - and if they are, they are expensive. MB + BMW have closed their order books for a bit due to the component shortages.

Used cars are at all time high, someone I work with sold a 2 year old BMW 2 Series with 9k miles for £28k cash, went on the dealer forecourt for £32k and was gone within a week.

Demand is still way greater than the supply of cars at the moment so doubt we'll see much impact there

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Depends what rate you are on..... If I can't get more than 1.99% by investing... I need to give up!

I have in the past considered flogging off the contents of my toy cupboard . . and payng off the mortgage, but its appreciating faster than the interest rate on my mortgage . . . . and I'd have nothing to have no toys to play with.

I don't believe most cars, and/or peoples choice of car is a necessity. I didn't 'need' a snazzy Alfa to get to work . . . a fiesta would have done the job. . . . choices. I agree re 2nd hand cars, I must have been one of the first people ever to make a profit on a 2nd hand Alfa earlier this year :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I contacted Gareth, I think in December to get things underway, although I'm still tied in until my fixed rate ends at the start of May. Gareth was able to secure a great deal even though we were months away from when we could switch. I am more than happy to recommend him as he has always replied quickly and helpfully to any questions I've had and he has also helped with life insurance which I am more than pleased about. So far so good, I am waiting for my mortgage to switch in a couple of weeks and looking forward to the savings that I have made.

Last edited:

EastStandRemainer

Nov 10, 2019
Gareth helped us with our remortgage at the end of last year and secured a rate 1% lower than we would have been able to get ourselves. This will save us hundreds of pounds a year and thousands over the 5 year fixed term. Highly recommended especially with all the current uncertainty and BOE rate increases.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Looking to renew my BTW from a Santander 5 year fixed rate later this year [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] please let me know if you can assist? Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here