Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Slow Horses.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I know I rattled on about how much I was looking forward to this series on other threads, but it is quite simply superb.
I’m 3 episodes in now and it is ,if anything, better than the books. There is no higher praise from me, I loved the books, it was a staple of my lockdown reading, from an offer on kindle for the first one,(Slow Horses) to rattling through the rest of them, plus the authors other novels. Mick Herron isn’t that well known, but he can certainly tell a story.
To get back to the TV show, they have stayed faithful to the books, and the acting is really of the highest calibre, Gary Oldman doing what Gary Oldman does, but the rest of the cast are brilliant as well.
If you have Apple+ tv I implore you to watch it, you won’t be disappointed, if you don’t have Apple + tv, it will be worth the subscription just for this programme.

el punal

I know I rattled on about how much I was looking forward to this series on other threads, but it is quite simply superb.
I’m 3 episodes in now and it is ,if anything, better than the books. There is no higher praise from me, I loved the books, it was a staple of my lockdown reading, from an offer on kindle for the first one,(Slow Horses) to rattling through the rest of them, plus the authors other novels. Mick Herron isn’t that well known, but he can certainly tell a story.
To get back to the TV show, they have stayed faithful to the books, and the acting is really of the highest calibre, Gary Oldman doing what Gary Oldman does, but the rest of the cast are brilliant as well.
If you have Apple+ tv I implore you to watch it, you won’t be disappointed, if you don’t have Apple + tv, it will be worth the subscription just for this programme.

I’ve read all the ‘Slough House’ books and was a bit concerned as to whether the TV version of Slow Horses would be as enjoyable - even with Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott Thomas. I needn’t have worried - just as good as the book.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm 2 episodes in and loving it so far. Gary Oldman is superb.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
4 in and it just gets better every week. Mrs Comrade Sam was gutted we couldn't binge watch the whole series while the kids were out for the day at Easter.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Saw this advertised the other day and thought it looked alright. Gary Oldman is a phenomenal actor and Olivia Cooke is gorgeous, two very good reasons to watch it.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Read the book a few years back which I thoroughly enjoyed … as I have the Apple series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Cheers for the heads-up. Doubt I'll ever get to see the series unless Apple+ do a deal with Netflix or Amazon Prime, but have just ordered the book on the strength of this thread. Thanks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well series 1 was a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

Hats off for writing:-

'f**king hell it's about as easy as explaining Norway to a dog'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't have @apple capability so i will just have to wait until it ends up free to view somewhere.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
We binge-watched all 3 series last week. Season 1 was excellent. Really enjoyed it. Seasons 2 and 3 I’m afraid started to get slightly tedious for me. The warmth we feel towards some of the characters just about sustains it, and Oldman is given some great lines, but the convoluted plots are absolutely crazy, with holes big enough to swallow a double decker bus. I’d still recommend it but it’s a bit wobbly in places.

For real-life spy drama, check out the brilliant A Spy Among Friends if you’ve not already seen it. On Amazon Prime.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We binge-watched all 3 series last week. Season 1 was excellent. Really enjoyed it. Seasons 2 and 3 I’m afraid started to get slightly tedious for me. The warmth we feel towards some of the characters just about sustains it, and Oldman is given some great lines, but the convoluted plots are absolutely crazy, with holes big enough to swallow a double decker bus. I’d still recommend it but it’s a bit wobbly in places.

For real-life spy drama, check out the brilliant A Spy Among Friends if you’ve not already seen it. On Amazon Prime.

If you like US box sets, The Americans is great in this genre.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
On AppleTV.

I only recently found out about Slow Horses from another nsc thread.

I’m upto season 2, this is brilliant, tenterhooks and some brutality. Season 1 was more predictable imho.

Unsurprisingly Gary Oldman is brilliant.
I'm just about to renew my Apple TV subscription so that I can binge watch Season 3. Really enjoyed the first two and yes, Oldman is superb. The way he's able to get into characters is so good that you forget who the actor actually is.

Also renewing to watch https://www.apple.com/uk/tv-pr/originals/still-a-michael-j-fox-movie/ - which I missed when it launched last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here