Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs: The Football Crowd v The Residents

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am aware as to how this might go but I'm going to make an observation anyway, in case anyone has some background or decent sociological thought on this. On the walk to and from Seven Sisters from / to the ground the following incidents happened:

- Bloke walking along suddenly took a left turn and flicked the bird at everyone walking towards the ground yelling "are you happy"?
- Two different cars on the A10 with drivers yelling at the fans walking back.
- Guy who stopped as we were crossing at the traffic lights, wound down his window and said "don't be shitty fans".
- The four of five blokes with a microphone outside Seven Sisters tube haranguing everyone going down into it.
- Very obvious and aggressive motorbike gang revving along the road

Very clear that the locals have no love at all for football days, which is odd, because the whole point of having a ground smack bang in the middle of the community is so the community can easily use it.

I'm not sure I've ever been to another ground where both the home and away fans are both travelling into the local area to such an extent. Liverpool still get plenty of support from the terraced places near Anfield, Man U really do have Old Trafford and Salford based fans, Arsenal seem to have a lot of BAME fans and a good community feeling around the ground.

Anyone know if there is an official "beef" or organised actions on match day or is this simple a community moving out to be replaced by another that is unlikely ever to embrace Premier League football in a giant, shiny spaceship?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
“Very clear that the locals have no love at all for football days, which is odd, because the whole point of having a ground smack bang in the middle of the community is so the community can easily use it.”

Or should that be can afford to use it?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I am aware as to how this might go but I'm going to make an observation anyway, in case anyone has some background or decent sociological thought on this. On the walk to and from Seven Sisters from / to the ground the following incidents happened:

- Bloke walking along suddenly took a left turn and flicked the bird at everyone walking towards the ground yelling "are you happy"?
- Guy who stopped as we were crossing at the traffic lights, wound down his window and said "don't be shitty fans".
- The four of five blokes with a microphone outside Seven Sisters tube haranguing everyone going down into it.

Very clear that the locals have no love at all for football days, which is odd, because the whole point of having a ground smack bang in the middle of the community is so the community can easily use it.

I'm not sure I've ever been to another ground where both the home and away fans are both travelling into the local area to such an extent. Liverpool still get plenty of support from the terraced places near Anfield, Man U really do have Old Trafford and Salford based fans, Arsenal seem to have a lot of BAME fans and a good community feeling around the ground.

Anyone know if there is an official "beef" or organised actions on match day or is this simple a community moving out to be replaced by another that is unlikely ever to embrace Premier League football in a giant, shiny spaceship?

Your observations are not far off the mark GB.
Take the Spurs stadium for example, it's a billion pound set up planted smack bang in the middle of a working class, low income area.
It's rife in most parts of London.
Money mountain's being built, with no care for the local community.
Yes I know the clubs try and integrate the local community, but it doesn't always work.
Back lash is taken against outsiders.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
We did park on my drive and although it went well the walk to the ground was disgusting . Rubbish , dog shit , and the most dirtiest place I’ve ever visited. Glad to get out what a shit hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
“Very clear that the locals have no love at all for football days, which is odd, because the whole point of having a ground smack bang in the middle of the community is so the community can easily use it.”

Or should that be can afford to use it?

But, as I said, plenty of local working class fans attend lots of other stadiums including one just round the corner. Also the cars were decent ones and the motorbikes looked brand new.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I heard the guys on the microphone outside seven sisters but wasn’t really listening. I thought they were just doing a religious thing. What were they saying.

The motorbike gang included quad bikes pulling wheelies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I heard the guys on the microphone outside seven sisters but wasn’t really listening. I thought they were just doing a religious thing. What were they saying.

When we got there the police were over having a word with them. As soon as the police left them they said something like "look at you herding like cattle, that what me and my brothers used to have to do, now it's you".

I'm paraphrasing but it wasn't religious in any context I know.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Were a colony of bats displaced during WHL renovation?

Was it built near an area of outstanding natural beauty?

Are the locals worried about their view being ruined?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

It was a religious thing much like the little group walking up the road signing a song about Jesus.

Not sure how it can be said a community are against anything based on the actions of 10 or so people?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Most locals won’t be Spurs fans so just have the hassle matchday crowds cause. How many Albion fans live in Falmer??

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Eh? It’s a perfect fit in my mind. A deprived area with a deprived football club - Spurs haven’t won the league in colour yet.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Imo Northumberland Park is far easier than Seven Sisters, easy to get back to London Bridge with options of Stratford or Liverpool Street

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Imo Northumberland Park is far easier than Seven Sisters, easy to get back to London Bridge with options of Stratford or Liverpool Street

That's exactly the route I did today - a lot less moody and less sh1tty than than the walk along the Seven Sisters road, which is a dump

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
When we got there the police were over having a word with them. As soon as the police left them they said something like "look at you herding like cattle, that what me and my brothers used to have to do, now it's you".

I'm paraphrasing but it wasn't religious in any context I know.

They were literally reading from the bible (amongst a lot of other nonsense)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
They were literally reading from the bible (amongst a lot of other nonsense)

Not when I was there. They were kicking off with the police.

Just shows you can have different perceptions of a scene depending on the time and circumstance you encounter it.

Doesn't really explain the CAR SHOUTERS though. That's a definite thing. Seven Sisters Road rage.

"Hmm, literally thousands of people are going to be heading from the ground to the station with traffic at gridlock. The perfect time to get the blacked out Beamer out for a spin"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here