Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] News. Where do you get yours?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have an iphone and am constantly dismayed at the "news" it keeps trying to entice me to read on it's news app. Mainly tittle tattle and mean spirited gossip from the likes of The mirror and The Sun. Why it does this I'm not sure as I NEVER google these sites, how do I change the sources it tries to feed me?

Anyway, that got me to thinking, where do others find their news? I look at the BBC news site and occasionally The Guardian but TG is increasingly annoying me. I tend to wait until The World Tonight comes on BBC Radio4, a good mix of news and opinion.

I rarely pick up hard copy now unless I find on the bus or train though I do quite like Newsweek magazine and New Scientist. I used to go to Nat Geo for climate news etc but don't trust it since The Murdochs took it over.

What about you and can you recommend any reliable news source?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Seeing as a lot of newspaper sites are now behind paywalls, I only really check the Guardian and the BBC - which I do on a regular basis (the BBC annoys the hell out of me, but I check it mainly to get the pro-Government line). Occasionally the Independent website as well.

For broadcast news, I cannot stomach BBC news or politics programming after their disgusting coverage of the 2019 election campaign and most of the time refuse to watch it (avoid Question Time for the same reason - and also not good for my blood pressure). I do watch ITV News at Ten, as I find it to be the most impartial, and sometimes Channel 4 news if there's a big story I am interested in. I really wish we had CNN over here. I watched it a lot during the last US election.

Almost never buy an actual newspaper. Often I find out news on Twitter by looking at what's trending and then going to the news sites to read the coverage.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Seeing as a lot of newspaper sites are now behind paywalls, I only really check the Guardian and the BBC - which I do on a regular basis (the BBC annoys the hell out of me, but I check it mainly to get the pro-Government line). Occasionally the Independent website as well.

For broadcast news, I cannot stomach BBC news or politics programming after their disgusting coverage of the 2019 election campaign and most of the time refuse to watch it (avoid Question Time for the same reason - and also not good for my blood pressure). I do watch ITV News at Ten, as I find it to be the most impartial, and sometimes Channel 4 news if there's a big story I am interested in. I really wish we had CNN over here. I watched it a lot during the last US election.

Almost never buy an actual newspaper. Often I find out news on Twitter by looking at what's trending and then going to the news sites to read the coverage.

I rather like CNN too. Good shout.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Often tune in to the BBC 6 o'clock news. Apart from that, NSC - not for facts! Geez no! - but through links. On news matters the majority of these are to the BBC, The Guardian or the Daily Mail - and once clicked there's usually another link - and another - and another. Get a pretty broad spectrum that way (without Putin's fake news).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Private Eye, The Economist, FT, New Scientist, Wired, Nature, Decanter, and, for browsing stories that I will later research using other sources, the BBC website.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Private Eye, The Economist, FT, New Scientist, Wired, Nature, Decanter, and, for browsing stories that I will later research using other sources, the BBC website.

Wired, Is that a music one? Forgot about entertainment news, I look at Empire Movie News and Sight & Sound.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I s5ill use the BBC as my main source of least biased coverage. I would then add in UK Sky News, The Argus (why oh why oh why), a compendium of news sources here in Australia, and in an attempt to at least try to find non westernised biased coverage I do look at Al Jazeera. Haven’t purchased a newspaper since I was last in the UK in 2019.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Cartoon News Network? They make the BBC look positively impartial. Whilst I dislike the BBC immensely for the same reason as the OP, the US 'news stations' are so politically biased its beyond a joke. They are bought for, body and soul,by their own political affiliations.

Our system maybe is not the best and far from perfect, but the USA system is so corrupted that it's no wonder the self titled Leader Of The Free World and the Greatest Nation on Earth is a doddery old fool who followed a bigger joke as the POTUS.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
1/4 friends, 1/4 wife, 1/4 NSC and then bits and pieces from an amalgam of other ‘sources’.

Do go find more to read on things I wish to though often BBC as a first but not final place.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have an iphone and am constantly dismayed at the "news" it keeps trying to entice me to read on it's news app. Mainly tittle tattle and mean spirited gossip from the likes of The mirror and The Sun. Why it does this I'm not sure as I NEVER google these sites, how do I change the sources it tries to feed me?

Anyway, that got me to thinking, where do others find their news? I look at the BBC news site and occasionally The Guardian but TG is increasingly annoying me. I tend to wait until The World Tonight comes on BBC Radio4, a good mix of news and opinion.

I rarely pick up hard copy now unless I find on the bus or train though I do quite like Newsweek magazine and New Scientist. I used to go to Nat Geo for climate news etc but don't trust it since The Murdochs took it over.

What about you and can you recommend any reliable news source?

I get ALL the news I need from NSC (News Stand Chat ) , it’s got an incredible and completely impartial politics section, music, film and food reviews, fashion & travel advice, weather and for the users of social media there’s even a contributor who spends all her day re posting tweets on a variety of subjects so that others don’t miss anything.
[emoji106]

And to top it all off, occasionally there’s some Albion related stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
A mix of BBC, Euronews, Guardian (mainly as its free compared to other newspaper websites) and definitely NSC too - for example the Ukraine war thread.

At the moment Russia Today too just to keep an eye on the Kremlin's line on what's going on... the blatant outlandish lies are pretty scary in terms of wtf the Russian public are being fed through state news:
https://www.rt.com/russia/553957-lozovaya-ukraine-false-flag-tochka/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with you [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] that while I used to be a Guardian reader I hardly touch it now. I found it thoroughly depressing during the pandemic and haven't been back since, with the exception of the odd Jay Rayner food review.

When I'm working from home I tend to listen to Radio 4 for the news, the Today programme after a dog walk and I try to move away from the laptop at 6pm to listen to the 6 o'clock news followed by the 6.30 comedy while I sort out dinner for everyone. When I'm in the office then I will browse on my phone on the train, much like Goldstone1976 using the BBC as a prompt to go to other sites. He has reminded me to have a quick look on Wired now....

During the first week of the war in Ukraine I was in Bucharest and got the news on what was happening from a variety of international news channels in the hotel room including CNN, Al Jeezeera and a local Romanian station's English language version.

For football / sport, while I don't post on twitter any more I do follow a variety of football sites and journalists, again normally as a prompt to find a proper story elsewhere. I always said I'd pay for good sport content but have not yet been tempted by The Athletic because of the dull writing style and "keep the club happy" tone of Naylor,

Edit - first story I found after moving to Wired - this is excellent! https://www.wired.co.uk/article/russia-ukraine-data

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree with you [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] that while I used to be a Guardian reader I hardly touch it now. I found it thoroughly depressing during the pandemic and haven't been back since, with the exception of the odd Jay Rayner food review.

When I'm working from home I tend to listen to Radio 4 for the news, the Today programme after a dog walk and I try to move away from the laptop at 6pm to listen to the 6 o'clock news followed by the 6.30 comedy while I sort out dinner for everyone. When I'm in the office then I will browse on my phone on the train, much like Goldstone1976 using the BBC as a prompt to go to other sites. He has reminded me to have a quick look on Wired now....

During the first week of the war in Ukraine I was in Bucharest and got the news on what was happening from a variety of international news channels in the hotel room including CNN, Al Jeezeera and a local Romanian station's English language version.

For football / sport, while I don't post on twitter any more I do follow a variety of football sites and journalists, again normally as a prompt to find a proper story elsewhere. I always said I'd pay for good sport content but have not yet been tempted by The Athletic because of the dull writing style and "keep the club happy" tone of Naylor,

Edit - first story I found after moving to Wired - this is excellent! https://www.wired.co.uk/article/russia-ukraine-data

I’m a big radio 4 fan too. For sport I do actually rate the Guardian and I read updates on here. But yep, The Guardian was atrocious through the pandemic. I glanced at it the other day and saw this…..

8169B173-310C-46B2-9F3B-1B6B4F3E2099.jpeg

And decided we have reached peak Guardian and it’s no longer the paper for me :lolol::lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The BBC struggles to break news stories these days unless it has been fact checked first, so, they are often confirming old stories from hours earlier, the Grauniad is ok but I think they are slower due to staff cut backs...best news is the 7.00pm news on C4 as they genuinely interview people and don't let politicians off the hook....Needless to say news items often end with " We invited someone from the government to give their opinion but they said that no one was available. " ...starting to realise Twitter has its merits but its a case of viewing the more trusted feeds .

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
BBC, Guardian and New York Times.

Not a great fan of CNN, prefer MSNBC. Found CNN increasingly biased in it's political reporting, seems more about the reporter than the news with people like former presenter Chris Cuomo who had his own agenda

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here