Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe standing

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
All these grounds with safe standing the atmosphere is 1000 % better.we need it at the amex for next season no doubt

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
All these grounds with safe standing the atmosphere is 1000 % better.we need it at the amex for next season no doubt

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Bit too late for next season as 90-95% season tickets will have already been sold. I agree though as it should naturally bring the fans most inclined to sing and get the atmosphere going together. The club were certainly open to the idea when it first became a possibility but there didn't seem to be much engagement from the fans at the time.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Bit too late for next season as 90-95% season tickets will have already been sold. I agree though as it should naturally bring the fans most inclined to sing and get the atmosphere going together. The club were certainly open to the idea when it first became a possibility but there didn't seem to be much engagement from the fans at the time.

With safe standing you still have a designated seat. It doesn’t move your position in the ground at all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With safe standing you still have a designated seat. It doesn’t move your position in the ground at all.

It's like standing with an RSJ in front of you and another behind.

It's like sex, using a sheep's bladder as a condom.

It's like.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

......and it doesn't increase the ground capacity - and it will cost money to put in - and it might attract fans here for the football, not for the customer match-day experience ......... has anybody emailed PB for his opinion?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I’m fully aware of that. This is doesn’t change the fact that a large number of STs for next season have already been sold as seats, so it’s not really possible to change an area of the ground to safe standing in the interim. I’m sure some fans would be fine with the designation of their ticket being changed from seat to standing, but I’m sure plenty wouldn’t.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
With all due respect to the Hillsborough victims the attraction to a young fan in the late 70s was the “unsafe” element, standing with our mates, where we liked, getting shoved about, losing a shoe etc (I always laugh at those videos claiming “limbs” in an all seated end, they clearly weren’t at the Blackpool match in 1978) I’ll always vote in favour of it for the benefit of the young uns but I’m in my fifties now, so for me, being told where to stand is a bit pointless and if I’m in front of a popped up seat at one point I’m gonna give in and “have a little sit down”

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not convinced it will make the atmosphere much better given how much of the ground stands anyway but it's the safety element I'm interested in.

As an aside, safety has been used to justify the ticket sharing scheme !

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m fully aware of that. This is doesn’t change the fact that a large number of STs for next season have already been sold as seats, so it’s not really possible to change an area of the ground to safe standing in the interim. I’m sure some fans would be fine with the designation of their ticket being changed from seat to standing, but I’m sure plenty wouldn’t.

Yes, I agree with that bit. I was replying to your comment along the lines of safe standing would enable like minded noisy fans to congregate together. That is no more the case than it is now.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, I agree with that bit. I was replying to your comment along the lines of safe standing would enable like minded noisy fans to congregate together. That is no more the case than it is now.

Given time, most who didn’t want to stand and sing would mov3 to other areas of the ground, allowing more of those who do wish to do so to move in.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Given time, most who didn’t want to stand and sing would mov3 to other areas of the ground, allowing more of those who do wish to do so to move in.

Maybe. Why doesn’t that happen already though ? Fans in much of the North already stand and (sometimes) sing. Installing rails formalizes the arrangement but doesn’t really change anything. By the way I don’t have any axe to grind. I prefer to stand than sit at games. I prefer away games over home ones.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Personally I think making the whole north stand safe standing would work fine. Anyone who wants to sit would just get a season ticket / match ticket in another stand. It undoubtedly would improve safety as most of the north already stand with no railings etc.

The away stand is an interesting one as almost all away fans stand for 90 mins but if you made that safe standing it would remove the theoretical choice for away fans to sit if they wish.

Making the north and south stand all safe standing could work well, but it’s pretty clear the club are not up for it and I’m not sure there is a groundswell of opinion from fans to drive any action to make the club change their minds.

I guess in reality most fans in the north and the away fans who want to stand up, do so already and it is facilitated by the stewards and therefore by the club who instruct them. So it all kind of works at the moment. The only downsides being the lack of safety measures (although I personally think standing in a seated stand is actually pretty safe as you can’t get a terrace ‘surge’), and the odd fan in these areas who does want to sit down being annoyed that their view is blocked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here