Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Bloody KIDS

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
...being enterprising and pleasant

Whilst WFH today, I was interrupted this afternoon with a ring at the door. Sighing deeply with mild irritation, I yomped to the front door, and was confronted by two girls of around 12 years old, and a lad slightly younger, maybe ten. They were sporting buckets, and sponges.

"Can we clean your car ?" They chimed. I stood for a second, nonplussed, then clocked all the birdshit on my Honda. "How much ?" I opined. "£2" was the chirpy reply.

After checking they were all properly sponged up and not using scouring pads, I stroked one of my chins. "Deal" I said. "And if you do a good job, get all that poop off, and do the alloys then I'll make it a fiver". Grins as wide the M4, they cracked on with it. I provided them with a small stool so they could reach the roof, and a Coke Zero was supplied to them halfway through. Its not the BEST finish I've ever seen on carwash to be fair, but they took a good 30-40 minutes and really did their best.

How lovely is that ? Proper old school. Kids putting down the phones and iPads, going out and earning some pocket money in their hols. It felt like being transported back to 1985. Fair warmed my heart that did today.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Whilst WFH today, I was interrupted this afternoon with a ring at the door. Sighing deeply with mild irritation, I yomped to the front door, and was confronted by two girls of around 12 years old, and a lad slightly younger, maybe ten. They were sporting buckets, and sponges.

"Can we clean your car ?" They chimed. I stood for a second, nonplussed, then clocked all the birdshit on my Honda. "How much ?" I opined. "£2" was the chirpy reply.

After checking they were all properly sponged up and not using scouring pads, I stroked one of my chins. "Deal" I said. "And if you do a good job, get all that poop off, and do the alloys then I'll make it a fiver". Grins as wide the M4, they cracked on with it. I provided them with a small stool so they could reach the roof, and a Coke Zero was supplied to them halfway through. Its not the BEST finish I've ever seen on carwash to be fair, but they took a good 30-40 minutes and really did their best.

How lovely is that ? Proper old school. Kids putting down the phones and iPads, going out and earning some pocket money in their hols. It felt like being transported back to 1985. Fair warmed my heart that did today.

Used to go car cleaning like this in my street Saturday mornings. Got enough for the bus, programme, 50p entry into the Goldstone, and chips on Saturday afternoon. But 1977-80 rather than 1985!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I went to school with a guy like that. Whilst we were wasting our time kicking a ball about he was growing seedlings and selling them for a pound outside his house.

He bought his own house in his 20s and was a millionaire by the time he was 40 with a string of properties and business interests everywhere.

Eventually the police caught up with him, dismantled his crime empire and he is currently doing 25 years in a Netherlands prison.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Used to go car cleaning like this in my street Saturday mornings. Got enough for the bus, programme, 50p entry into the Goldstone, and chips on Saturday afternoon. But 1977-80 rather than 1985!

What the hell else was there to do in 1977 ? :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm also readily awaiting Cannick Fergus to air his disgust at my endorsement of child slavery.

:lolol:

But seriously, yes, this is great. My twin Brother and I did similar in our summer holidays. Car washing and bit of gardening/tidying. Most people gave us something to do but we did get the odd grump. I remember one rather posh woman actually saying something like "I didn't go through labour three times and ruin my life raising them for them to sit on their backsides while I pay someone else to do my chores". We were about 14 :lolol: We slowly backed away down the drive. :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In the olden days I remember bob a job week

A few weeks ago I saw a group of scouts scrounging outside B&Q for a new hut. Lazy *****

we worked our arses off for the 3rd Shoreham seas scouts new building in the early 80's . . . . The nice wooden hut on Ropetackle was going to get knocked down ( for no good reason as far as I can tell)

I left the scouts before they got anywhere near my arse. . . .

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
I also remember doing Bob a Job in the 60s for the 44th troop (who were really good), was enjoyable for the most part - although there was always the odd one that got you working most of the day and then only gave a Bob!! (Surrenden Road houses mainly....)

el punal

The next thing it’ll be “mind your car for a tenner?” punish:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Great to see. Used to go door knocking when it snowed, nice little earner too

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I had similar when we had a large drop of snow round our way a year or so ago. 2 nice lads came to our house and politely offered to carefully sweep the snow off our cars for a pound each.

I told them to **** off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here