Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Basmati Rice

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Can anyone help with cooking Basmati Rice?
Always ends up sticky gooey mess.
Today rinsed in water 8 times before cooking, still ended up the same.
Tips you NSC cooking gurus.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The only advice I can offer is dont use basmatti rice, use easy cook long grain and give it a good rinse beforehand

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Cook on a low heat so that it doesn't boil and DON'T stir it - that's what releases the starch and makes it sticky. White rice takes about 15-20 for all water to absorb, brown takes about twice as long.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
1 cup of rice, 2 of water, gently steam for 10 mins, fluff up and leave covered for another 5 mins.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
You can use the oven to make superb rice. Start on the stove with a cast iron type casserole dish, add some whole spice such as cloves, cardomoms, mustard seed, star anise, bay, curry leaves, seasoning depending on what the rice will accompany. After rinsing, let the rice dry a little then gently fry in a tiny amount of veg oil. Add roughly the same parts water, get it to the boil then cover tightly with lid or foil to seal it then into a low oven (120 Deg) to steam for approx 20 mins depending on the type of rice.

Take it out give it a stir then let it sit partially covered for a few mins. This should be better than any restaurant rice if successful.
Alternatively get a rice cooker for easy repeatable success.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
This works for me for plain basmati (not the brown stuff) and doesn't result in a gooey, starchy mess:

1. Don't prewash the rice
2. Get a pan of water boiling
3. Put the rice in and while it's coming back to the boil stir it gently for a few seconds only with a slotted spoon to make sure the grains separate but no stirring after that
4. Keep it boiling for 10 minutes, top up with boiling water from the kettle if need be, but no definitely more stirring
5. Drain through a sieve and rinse the cooked rice with boiling (or near boiling) water from the kettle while it's in the sieve

In 40 years of cooking basmati that method has never failed me once. Good luck

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems as many different ways of doing basmati as there are posters! Mine is get the water boiling, add the rice and put lid on. Turn heat down to low and leave it for 15 mins. Then check and continue on low heat until ready (may be a few more minutes).

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I cooked some excellent basmati rice yesterday:

- rinse
- leave for 10 - 15 mins in a bowl of cold water
- pour rice and water into a pan
- bring to the boil, then simmer until the water has evaporated (watch carefully towards the end....should take 8 - 10 mins)
- run through with a fork to "fluff it up"

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
1. Wash rice in a sieve under cold tap.
2. Pour rice into a saucepan with ideally hot water more than covering
3. Give it a quick stir after a minute or so whilst boiling to prevent any sticking to the pan
4. When the rice collectively rises to the surface level of the boiling water its ready to take off the heat - can't leave it for too long
5. Boil a kettle and drain the cooked rice through a sieve and poor boiling hot water through
6. Serve

Takes about 8-12 mins max - depending on the instructions

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It took me a long time to find a way to do this properly. You will thank me.

Pre wash the rice. Running cold water for a few minutes. Not sure how much this really matters but the idea is to wash out some of the starch and reduce the gooiness.

1 cup of rice. to 1.25 cups water (yes - less water is key to avoiding the goo)

Add a small amount of oil to a saucepan with a tight fitting lid and get really hot then pour in the correct amount of boiling water. Get it really boiling and then tip in the washed rice.
Keep boiling hard without stirring until the water is nearly gone. Holes appear in the top of the rice

Put onto a VERY low heat and slam the lid on.
Leave for 15-20 mins. Test and fork through.

It will be perfect.

Edit: or as above us rice cooker if you have one, 1:1 water to rice. Will be equally perfect

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Can anyone help with cooking Basmati Rice?
Always ends up sticky gooey mess.
Today rinsed in water 8 times before cooking, still ended up the same.
Tips you NSC cooking gurus.

Mrs AR....

150g does 2 people....
300ml of boiling water,
Add rice
Bring back to boil
Stir
Cover with tin foil and lid
Turn down to lowest heat setting
Cook for 10 mins without stirring
Turn off heat
Rest for 10 more mins
Fluff with fork and serve.... :)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
rinse , put in saucepan , add boiling water from kettle , simmer on low for 12 mins stiring frequently , drain , pour more kettle water through it

Fluff up with a fork , add salt / pepper + coconut

Simples

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
1. Wash rice in a sieve under cold tap.
2. Pour rice into a saucepan with ideally hot water more than covering
3. Give it a quick stir after a minute or so whilst boiling to prevent any sticking to the pan
4. When the rice collectively rises to the surface level of the boiling water its ready to take off the heat - can't leave it for too long
5. Boil a kettle and drain the cooked rice through a sieve and poor boiling hot water through
6. Serve

Takes about 8-12 mins max - depending on the instructions

Pretty much this, seems like some people like a lot of faff, I do it this way, super quick perfect every time.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Seems as many different ways of doing basmati as there are posters! Mine is get the water boiling, add the rice and put lid on. Turn heat down to low and leave it for 15 mins. Then check and continue on low heat until ready (may be a few more minutes).

This is the correct way to cook rice.

I don't know why everyone is making a meal out of it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This works for me for plain basmati (not the brown stuff) and doesn't result in a gooey, starchy mess:

1. Don't prewash the rice
2. Get a pan of water boiling
3. Put the rice in and while it's coming back to the boil stir it gently for a few seconds only with a slotted spoon to make sure the grains separate but no stirring after that
4. Keep it boiling for 10 minutes, top up with boiling water from the kettle if need be, but no definitely more stirring
5. Drain through a sieve and rinse the cooked rice with boiling (or near boiling) water from the kettle while it's in the sieve

In 40 years of cooking basmati that method has never failed me once. Good luck

This is my method but I do have one extra step :

6. Put the drained and boiled water washed rice back in the cooking pan ( off the heat ) and add a lid to the pan. Stand for 4-5 minutes - fluffy rice is the result !

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
1 cup of rice, 2 of water, gently steam for 10 mins, fluff up and leave covered for another 5 mins.

this - first I coat the dry rice in the pan with a tiny bit of olive oil before adding the boiled water. this technique above means the water evaporates leaving just the rice. job done. 1 cup will do two or three people

AndyH

Mar 10, 2012
I find the Delia Smith way works a treat.
1 mug of rice (or whatever measure you want) in a saucepan. Add a teaspoon of oil and stir to coat grains to stop the rice sticking and a pinch of salt . Add double quantity of boiling water to pan and give a very brief stir and heat til water starts to boil again. Put lid on and turn heat to lowest setting and leave untouched for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave couple of minutes. Stir to fluff up rice and serve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here