Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Joke Du Jour

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In medieval times, people used to attach a lamp to a horse when riding at night. This is the earliest known form of saddle light navigation.

I'll fetch my coat of arms

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's not navigation really though is it ? And the reach of the lamp would be no more than a few yards.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
NASA decided they’d finally send a man up in a capsule after sending only monkeys in the earlier missions.

They fire the man and the monkey into space.

The intercom crackles, “Monkey, fire the retros”.

A little later, “Monkey, check the solid fuel supply”.

Later still, “Monkey, check the life support systems for the man”.

The astronaut takes umbrage and radios NASA, “When do I get to do something?”

NASA replies, “In 15 minutes – feed the monkey”.

:lolol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Actually the riders would have held the lamps themselves rather than attaching to the horse, or just navigated via moonlight.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Don't be ridiculous. The Medieval Times franchise was established in the early 80s so they would have lit the places with electricity. Or perhaps faux electric torches at least.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Lamps were not invented in medieval times so I can only assume you mean candle which would have blown out as soon as the horse started moving or would have burnt the riders bottom if it was indeed on the saddle. I say neigh to this story.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That is genuinely unfunny AR…! :)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Night riding was rare - dangerous to the horse with the potential of falls and broken legs. And lights might attract villains and robbers.

Horseback riding itself wasn't that common even in daylight. Horses piled up most of their mileage plowing (or otherwise servicing) fields and carting goods around. It was a specialized activity even among persons who handled horses.

Even during military campaigns, horseback riding at night was unusual as the horses needed the rest.

AR's clearly foaling around and trying to stirrup trouble with fake neighs.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Night riding was rare - dangerous to the horse with the potential of falls and broken legs. And lights might attract villains and robbers.

Horseback riding itself wasn't that common even in daylight. Horses piled up most of their mileage plowing (or otherwise servicing) fields and carting goods around. It was a specialized activity even among persons who handled horses.

Even during military campaigns, horseback riding at night was unusual as the horses needed the rest.

AR's clearly foaling around and trying to stirrup trouble with fake neighs.

Busy today Icy? bins already collected? :lolol:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
You state that the lamp was attached to the horse and not the saddle so surely it's actually the earliest known form of horse light navigation? I respectfully suggest either you're confused as to where the light was attached or the medievals misnamed what they were doing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I bet on a great horse last weekend... it took seven horses to beat it!

Oh, okay then......

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
No horses or lamps were harmed during the making of this poor excuse for a jour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here