Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Northern Ireland v England

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Massive game tomorrow, not only a British derby with bragging rights at stake but a key qualifier for the promised land of Australia and New Zealand 2023. We look in good shape after a fine 10-0 victory in what looked a tricky test in North Macedonia whilst Northern Ireland will be reeling after a 3-1 reverse in Austria. With the brutal format of qualifying and only the group winner qualifying there is simply no room for error, England will need to continue their 100% record and further boost their +63 goal difference from their 7 games to date.

Game is sold out but live on ITV4, 7:55 kick off at a raucous Windsor Park.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Massive game tomorrow, not only a British derby with bragging rights at stake but a key qualifier for the promised land of Australia and New Zealand 2023. We look in good shape after a fine 10-0 victory in what looked a tricky test in North Macedonia whilst Northern Ireland will be reeling after a 3-1 reverse in Austria. With the brutal format of qualifying and only the group winner qualifying there is simply no room for error, ENgland will need to continue their 100% record and further boost their +63 goal difference from their 7 games to date.

Game is sold out but live on ITV4, 7:55 kick off at a raucous Windsor Park.

Disappointed in you crodo, for failing to mention the possibility of Ellen White surpassing Wayne Rooney, to become England's ALL TIME TOP SCORER :clap2:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Now this is more like it Crodo. First a golf sweepstake and now this. A classic return to form. One can only hope for a "Tottingham Hotspurts Most Famous Supporter" later in the week.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can see this being a low-scoring affair. I'm predicting 6-NIL to England.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
With less than 9 hours to go now before kickoff, the tension is palpable... (Ok, that's enough. Come back Crodo.)

There's little doubt any similar Irish defending faux pas (faux pass?) will be pounced upon and devoured by the Lionesses.

3:19 on the highlights video from Friday's game against Austria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSCL04sUH88

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
This thread title etc is as annoying as BBC Radio 5 when they start talking about Manchester City taking on Arsenal etc etc and then I discover its womens football which bores me rigid. If its golf or rugby or cricket etc its always made obvious why cant they do it with womens football.

This thread title etc is as annoying as BBC Radio 5 when they start talking about Manchester City taking on Arsenal etc etc and then I discover its womens football which bores me rigid. If its golf or rugby or cricket etc its always made obvious why cant they do it with womens football.

Which boring bit makes you rigid ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With less than 9 hours to go now before kickoff, the tension is palpable... (Ok, that's enough. Come back Crodo.)

There's little doubt any similar Irish defending faux pas (faux pass?) will be pounced upon and devoured by the Lionesses.

3:19 on the highlights video from Friday's game against Austria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSCL04sUH88

Why was the Irish keeper so far out of her area? Maybe she thought there was a sale on in the Austrian half?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Why was the Irish keeper so far out of her area? Maybe she thought there was a sale on in the Austrian half?

I'm all for keepers not being rooted to their lines, playing sweeper and going up for a corner to nick an equaliser at the death.

Losing possession around the centre-circle 10 minutes into the 2nd half? Not so much.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm all for keepers not being rooted to their lines, playing sweeper and going up for a corner to nick an equaliser at the death.

Losing possession around the centre-circle 10 minutes into the 2nd half? Not so much.

And then trying to hack down the forward, and only escaping a straight red, by virtue of also getting that wrong.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I can see this being a low-scoring affair. I'm predicting 6-NIL to England.

Close enough, Pav. Just the 5-nil to England.

8 games played. Goals scored - 68. Goals conceded - nil.

At least the BBC's magnanimous enough to open a HYS on the game this time around.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61026979

As expected, the most popular comments focus on the BBC's continued comparison of White's goalscoring record with Rooney.

"White thought she had made the breakthrough on 21 minutes, which would have taken her two behind Wayne Rooney as England's record goalscorer..."

She is great. He was great. Let's appreciate them both individually. Comparisons neither useful nor desirable.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
As much as we're all desperate to see Ellen White break the record as top goalscorer for England it would be perfect if she did at home in the Euro's this summer. Just a point needed in Austria now, and we're on our way!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Despite the light mickey-taking underlying this thread, I watched some of this last night and was actually quietly impressed by some of the football England played. Proper football - and much of it not dissimilar to our sort of build-up play and switching of positions and roles. Some of it was actually quicker!!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

:tantrum:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Despite the light mickey-taking underlying this thread, I watched some of this last night and was actually quietly impressed by some of the football England played. Proper football - and much of it not dissimilar to our sort of build-up play and switching of positions and roles. Some of it was actually quicker!!

I agree that the England women's team IS impressive, but then they are funded by the Premier league giant clubs. The problem is that most other nations are not, so,you end up with the size of scorers that I haven't seen with my son's football since the days of Under 9s and Under 10s, i.e. winning 20-0 vs Latvia. The other day Sweden beat some minnow 15-0.

Any comparison between Rooney and White is a joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here