Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What a Difference a Week Makes

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Last Saturday when we failed to convert our 30 shots against Norwich I was starting to get concerned. When Burnley, who everyone tells us will go on a run, beat Everton I was really uneasy, not least because they had games in hand and Norwich next while we played Arsenal.

It was okay though, Everton had a nightmare fixture list, then they beat Man United and I’m into anxious territory.

I couldn’t see where too many points were coming from and was sure we would lose the next three.

To add to the misery everyone was raving about a rampant palace and what a wonder Viera is.

And yet…

Come the end of the week, Burnley have played three games to our two and we have four point to their three. Gap widened to surely unbridgeable levels and we have jumped two places in the table.

We are level on points with Palace despite all the hype.

And looking ahead, Man United look rotten, Southampton are in free fall, Wolves are inconsistent and West Ham are running out of steam and could be on the beach by the last day. Plus Leeds are bang average. Suddenly I can see plenty of opportunity for points.

One win, a couple of Players in Mwepu and Caicedo look exciting and suddenly the whole feel of this season is fundamentally shifted.

It’s why we love football, what a week that was…

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now you've jinxed it :facepalm:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Last Saturday when we failed to convert our 30 shots against Norwich I was starting to get concerned. When Burnley, who everyone tells us will go on a run, beat Everton I was really uneasy, not least because they had games in hand and Norwich next while we played Arsenal.

It was okay though, Everton had a nightmare fixture list, then they beat Man United and I’m into anxious territory.

I couldn’t see where too many points were coming from and was sure we would lose the next three.

To add to the misery everyone was raving about a rampant palace and what a wonder Viera is.

And yet…

Come the end of the week, Burnley have played three games to our two and we have four point to their three. Gap widened to surely unbridgeable levels and we have jumped two places in the table.

We are level on points with Palace despite all the hype.

And looking ahead, Man United look rotten, Southampton are in free fall, Wolves are inconsistent and West Ham are running out of steam and could be on the beach by the last day. Plus Leeds are bang average. Suddenly I can see plenty of opportunity for points.

One win, a couple of Players in Mwepu and Caicedo look exciting and suddenly the whole feel of this season is fundamentally shifted.

It’s why we love football, what a week that was…

You are Paul Barber and I claim my prize:D

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Holding Norwich to a draw doesn't look so bad now!:lolol:

Wait, I witnessed it and it was truly awful.

Still, we are where we are (safer than three days ago) and it is what it is. UTA :albion2:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
What a difference a week makes?

I reckon the club looked closely at our misses in the Norwich game, concluded that Norwich defended well, as do most teams, and that for us to get more shots on target, we would need to find a way to give our players more time and space to get an accurate shot away. One way might be to get to the byline, so that our strikers make runs into and around the six yard box to occupy defenders, leaving space further out.

Both our goals came from pullbacks from the byline, and both were very good, well worked goals. But we can't expect other teams not to have noticed this.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
This from the i newspaper - which I think gets it just about right (I have made bold where I think he hits the nail on the head.)

Brighton

Graham Potter would suggest, with some evidence, that this result has been coming. Even Brighton cannot extend a run of one goal in 102 shots without finally taking enough chances to win. That it comes in a fixture they would have been expected to lose, thanks to Potter exploiting Arsenal’s frailties, makes it more sweet.

Brighton were not really punished for their dismal run. They won one of 11 Premier League games between 3 January and 8 April and only dropped three positions. After the win against Arsenal, they are level on points with Crystal Palace and above Aston Villa. A first finish in the top half remains within their grasp.

It’s now on Brighton’s players and Potter to earn it. They must avoid regressing back to the mean. They must capitalise on the stuttering form of those directly above and below them. They must convert the great season that drifted into a decent season into a good season.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...s-son-kane-manchester-united-thinking-1567701

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here