[Albion] The Contrast Between Our Goals

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Goal #1 - quick, direct, dare I say long ball

Goal #2 - absolute thing of beauty. Team goal, silky skills, great finish.

Perhaps you need the comfort of goal #1 to attempt goal #2.

???

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
But both superb finishes from passes pulled back to the edge of the box for onrushing midfielders.

No matter how we get to the bye line, that is a wonderful end result. Much better than flashing it across goal to a clearing defender or mis-firing striker.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Goal #1 - quick, direct, dare I say long ball

Goal #2 - absolute thing of beauty. Team goal, silky skills, great finish.

Perhaps you need the comfort of goal #1 to attempt goal #2.

???

Not sure about your assessment on the first. I haven’t seen it on TV, but myself and those around me marvelled at the team play, Dunk having received the ball didn’t go long, rather played a measured ball down the line for Mwepu.

Perhaps semantics but I don’t call that direct…..

Second goal was wonderful.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The confidence grew noticeably after the first goal. Like me the team shat themselves at 2-0 up with 10 mins to go :lolol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not sure about your assessment on the first. I haven’t seen it on TV, but myself and those around me marvelled at the team play, Dunk having received the ball didn’t go long, rather played a measured ball down the line for Mwepu.

I think that is...kind. It was a bit of a hurried clearance - not totally aimless, but the way it turned out was way better than he could have expected.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Upson called it as “a clearance” but he came across as an Arsenal fan throughout the game. Not that he’d care but I lost a lot of respect for him today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Upson called it as “a clearance” but he came across as an Arsenal fan throughout the game. Not that he’d care but I lost a lot of respect for him today.

It was an excellent long ball wide, the sort that Dunk used to "quarterback" pretty much every game under CH. There are four touches between them playing a loose pass and us scoring.

It absolutely was not a hoof, it was a great pass, but it was forwards at speed and created the space with TheArse out of shape.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that is...kind. It was a bit of a hurried clearance - not totally aimless, but the way it turned out was way better than he could have expected.

But that’s why they practice those situations in training, I’m sticking with good ball down the line into space for Mwepu 😃

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I also think you're being generous in 'measured'. He was sold short with the pass, which forced him to be decisive. One of those ones that could have ended up elsewhere.
That said, I've been a little critical of Dunk of late, but he was immense today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Over a season it all averages out. Wherever we finish it will be deserved.

Before KO I hadn't ruled out a crisis. This seems less likely now.

Anyone who thinks we have turned a corner, however, may not quite yet have grapsed the basics of orienteering.

Bloody brilliant today, though :rave:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont think Dunk (?) had a lot of intention of doing anything but getting the ball away on the first goal. Brighton definitely tried to play more direct than usual today but it was a little bit flukey that the ball ended up with Mwepu. Overall I dont think the "direct play" game plan worked out that well as the accuracy in passing was quite off and not many chances were created.

The second goal was great, more Brighton-esque stuff that we have seen a lot of times and I'd argue that if any other midfielder in the team gets that chance, the goal is quite unlikely... More Mwepu to the people, please.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think Trossard's goal is better.

Mwepu's touch and vision, a proper bit of movement and class finish. Training ground quality executed to perfection. Beautiful.

The second is good but has a bit more fortune to it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I dont think Dunk (?) had a lot of intention of doing anything but getting the ball away on the first goal. Brighton definitely tried to play more direct than usual today but it was a little bit flukey that the ball ended up with Mwepu. Overall I dont think the "direct play" game plan worked out that well as the accuracy in passing was quite off and not many chances were created.

The second goal was great, more Brighton-esque stuff that we have seen a lot of times and I'd argue that if any other midfielder in the team gets that chance, the goal is quite unlikely... More Mwepu to the people, please.

That's because you didn't watch us under CH. That was the standard out/transition ball when we had Bruno and Knockaert on the right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here