Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wood Newcastle Wolves Penalty

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Is it just me, but when I look at that penalty decision from last night, Wood clearly drags his feet into the keeper to make contact. I appreciate that the keeper 'gives the referee a decision to make' but this is clear cheating by Wood and VAR should be able to easily identify it as such. This is by no means the worst VAR decision ever made but am I being unrealistic in expecting VAR to spot the cheating here? Or do others think this was a penalty?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is it just me, but when I look at that penalty decision from last night, Wood clearly drags his feet into the keeper to make contact. I appreciate that the keeper 'gives the referee a decision to make' but this is clear cheating by Wood and VAR should be able to easily identify it as such. This is by no means the worst VAR decision ever made but am I being unrealistic in expecting VAR to spot the cheating here? Or do others think this was a penalty?

The BBC online match narrative stated that Wood was already going down before contact and that he left a leg looking to receive contact.

Modern football.

Cheating rewarded.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
havent seen it but its another cheat that the authorities seem unable to deal with. player sees defender or especially keeper coming out, knock the ball past, dragging foot makes contact, and over. there should be an obligation to try and avoid contact, to get to the ball, which is the case anywhere else on the pitch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
havent seen it but its another cheat that the authorities seem unable to deal with. player sees defender or especially keeper coming out, knock the ball past, dragging foot makes contact, and over. there should be an obligation to try and avoid contact, to get to the ball, which is the case anywhere else on the pitch.

I’d love it if sometimes the defending player was able to completely evade the already diving player and in that clear cut circumstance the punishment for the diver was a red.

Perhaps in the 18 yard box only.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Never a pen, that said if it was an Albion player I would take the penalty and Chuckle that we got away with one

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’d love it if sometimes the defending player was able to completely evade the already diving player and in that clear cut circumstance the punishment for the diver was a red.

Perhaps in the 18 yard box only.

they do it because diving is so rarely given anyway. in many scenarios im wondering if there isnt a penalty, why isnt there a card, because when you've a player on the deck one or the other applies shirley?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This was clear cut:

1. Wood sees the keeper coming and Wood knows he will get to the ball first.
2. He decides to knock it past him and drag his feet, knowing the contact will come.
3. His plan works, he wins a penalty.

All of the above is legal. But so much of the game now is getting first to the ball, taking contact, winning a free kick or penalty. I don't see how under the current rules it can be anything but a penalty, but the price is players don't try and beat a man and play the ball like they used to.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I see in the build up to Woods' disallowed goal there was also a pretty blatant similar dive from the Newcastle player crossing it.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
We’d probably miss it. Can you turn down a penalty?

I am an optimist and believe that if we get enough pens we might.....MIGHT actually score one.

I think there is something to be said for one player to step up a place the ball then once all the goalkeeper and opposition players have completed there attempts at wasting time and increasing tension change the taker.

I am sure there is a stat that states the longer between placing the ball and strike the increase in likelihood in the penalty being missed.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I am an optimist and believe that if we get enough pens we might.....MIGHT actually score one.

I think there is something to be said for one player to step up a place the ball then once all the goalkeeper and opposition players have completed there attempts at wasting time and increasing tension change the taker.

I am sure there is a stat that states the longer between placing the ball and strike the increase in likelihood in the penalty being missed.

Didn't Chelsea use the change the kicker tactic recently? Someone held the ball while the oppo players wound him up and tried to delay things by complaining to the ref. Then when the ref cleared everyone out of the box the ball was handed over to the real taker who simply dispatched the ball without having to worry about the delay tactics.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Didn't Chelsea use the change the kicker tactic recently? Someone held the ball while the oppo players wound him up and tried to delay things by complaining to the ref. Then when the ref cleared everyone out of the box the ball was handed over to the real taker who simply dispatched the ball without having to worry about the delay tactics.

I didn't see it but its a reasonable tactic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here