Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Holding a faint candle

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
This afternoon my mobile phone rang and I got some terrible news that has rocked myself and my family.

My father has suffered a stroke and is in the Royal Sussex County hospital. He's not in a good way at all, paralysed down his left side and finding it hard to talk. I don't know much about strokes so I have been getting as much information as possible. This is all so sudden. Tomorrow morning I am booking an appointment to see him in the afternoon as Covid rules state you can only have one visitor at the moment. I'm already preparing myself for seeing him in a bad condition. He's never had any major health problems before so this has hit me like a brick.

Throughout my life he's been a rock. A tough rock. He took me to football matches on Saturday afternoons, he took us all to the seaside in summer. I never got to see him in the week as he was working long hours in London. Incredible, powerfully happy memories that have stayed with me throughout my life. Now I know things will probably never be the same again. He's going to need round-the-clock care I expect and I have to prioritise him. I was very shy as a child, I never did well in my exams, I've never provided him with anymore grandchildren but I've always admired him for being the man he is and saying that he loves me regularly.

If you're in contact with your dad, tell him you love him because you just don't know what's round the corner. Arsenal v Brighton and the Grand National will mean nothing to me tomorrow. Just my father.

I probably won't be on NSC for a while so thanks for anyone sending their best wishes in advance.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Keep in touch when you can mate.

NSC's here for you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s very possible to recover from a stroke depending on how quickly he got medical attention. My Stepmom had a stroke aged 89, where she couldn’t move, speak or even swallow. She was in Worthing hospital for three days, and then transferred to Sothlsnds. She got to talk, eat, and walk again, with rehabilitation. She lived to 96.
Keep hoping and trusting the medical staff.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A terrible shock for you. Fingers crossed that your dad starts to improve quickly and makes a strong recovery.

I’m sure he is equally as proud of you as you are of him.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
If you're in contact with your dad, tell him you love him because you just don't know what's round the corner. .

That very much resonates with me and I suspect many others too. One of my biggest regrets in life is not spending more time with my Dad and thanking him for all that he did for me. I hope yours makes a full recovery.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I wish your Dad the very best and hope he can recover from this.

Dads really are amazing, mine is now 95 and I make a massive effort to see him as much as possible though he lives quite a way from me.

Mar 25, 2010
Cumbernauld
I’m thinking of you and your family.
My dad had a stroke around 10 years ago and whilst it really restricted what he can and can’t do, he’s got a good quality of life and enjoys himself. There’s a real danger of depression with stroke victims so it’s important to make sure that there is support for them if you think that might be a danger. Finally, try to get the physiotherapy kicked off as soon as you can since the sooner they work on muscle memory and getting movement back the better.
I hope things turn out ok for your Dad and that his recovery is swift. Take care.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I'm never certain what to say when I read terrible news like this but I'll hope for the most swift and best possible recovery for your Father, your family, and yourself Durlston.
My thoughts are with you all.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good vibes all round from this direction. Hopefully he recovers well enough to live a life.

Lost my Dad @ 55, Big C, real quick . . . . I was 33. Lifes a bitch.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This afternoon my mobile phone rang and I got some terrible news that has rocked myself and my family.

My father has suffered a stroke and is in the Royal Sussex County hospital. He's not in a good way at all, paralysed down his left side and finding it hard to talk. I don't know much about strokes so I have been getting as much information as possible. This is all so sudden. Tomorrow morning I am booking an appointment to see him in the afternoon as Covid rules state you can only have one visitor at the moment. I'm already preparing myself for seeing him in a bad condition. He's never had any major health problems before so this has hit me like a brick.

Throughout my life he's been a rock. A tough rock. He took me to football matches on Saturday afternoons, he took us all to the seaside in summer. I never got to see him in the week as he was working long hours in London. Incredible, powerfully happy memories that have stayed with me throughout my life. Now I know things will probably never be the same again. He's going to need round-the-clock care I expect and I have to prioritise him. I was very shy as a child, I never did well in my exams, I've never provided him with anymore grandchildren but I've always admired him for being the man he is and saying that he loves me regularly.

If you're in contact with your dad, tell him you love him because you just don't know what's round the corner. Arsenal v Brighton and the Grand National will mean nothing to me tomorrow. Just my father.

I probably won't be on NSC for a while so thanks for anyone sending their best wishes in advance.

sorry to hear this mate , hope your dad makes a decent recovery , and that can easily happen , with the correct treatment good results can be achieved these days , all the best to you and your dad and the rest of your family....keep yer chin up mate ....Syd x

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Thinking of you at this time.
My mum passed away last year from CV, which now leaves all focus on my dad, which is a good thing, and try to spend more time with him :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thinking of you and all the best to your dad. And yes, shocks like that do put everything else in perspective - even football!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I went through the same with my mother. The shock is immense. All the best for a recovery that gives him quality of life.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Lost my dad to a brain tumour at 60. He was a very fit and healthy man so it was a real shock. Always regret never having the chance to reconnect with him as I became a parent for the first time a year later.

Sending best wishes your way.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Sorry to hear that Durlston. I'm wishing your dad a speedy recovery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here