Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player of the Season 1996/97...

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
... was never contested. Can't imagine why.

Anyhoo, 25 years later, the club is now finally putting that aberration right and hosting the contest.

So... with a quarter of a century's worth of drunken fog to peer back through, who was your Player of the Season during our final time at the Goldstone?

VOTE HERE - https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...reford-season-who-was-your-player-of-the-year

I'm guessing Reinelt will nab this for obvious reasons, but I'm torn between Maskell and Minton.

Definitely 'Latest TV debate' worthy.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Minton from a very vague memory

But without doubt Reinelt is the right answer, saved our bacon that did.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Mark Morris was a great player in that year, and I have a soft spot for Peter Smith. No doubt Robbie or Storer will win it, whoever gets it, will be deserving of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us how wrong we all are!

I'd imagine at the time I'd have voted for JTM - be rude not too now.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Mark Ormerod.

Kept us in the football league in the last 5-10 mins at Hereford - tends to get forgotten, but he came out and smothered the ball twice in the dying throes, literally at the feet of the onrushing Hereford forwards. I remember clearly listening to it on radio 5, who switched to the live commentary for the last 10 mins... as Hereford piled forward it was Mark who literally got us over the line.

Legend of the near fall.

I actually liked him as a GK, although his kicking was a tad suspect he really played his part in the rise under Gritt.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I went to 43 out 46 games that season and Storer over the course of the campaign was a clear winner in my view.

100% effort every game. Scored some crucial goals and generally our most consistent player.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Storer for me too. Ormerod perhaps didn’t quite play enough to be POS, Nicky Rust was in goal a lot of that season I think.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I went to 43 out 46 games that season and Storer over the course of the campaign was a clear winner in my view.

100% effort every game. Scored some crucial goals and generally our most consistent player.

This. No one came close to Storer that season.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Is there any footage available of Minton playing Never really understood the love in
Always felt he Thought he was better than us , having to slum it in the lower reaches
When it was really his level Was it just the flash of teqnique that ultimately flattered to deceive
That fooled everyone Or were the supporting cast just absolute pony At the time ?

It was some time ago so perhaps my memories are skewed But he did seem to fanny about with it
If my recollections are correct ?
Perhaps the supporting cast just weren’t up to his level
But I don’t remember it being like the Vicente situation on a lesser scale

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Didn’t Peter Smith actually win it in 95 or 96? Or was that Junior Seagull player of the year?!

We’ve always loved a right back as fans - Smith, the FG, Whing, Calderon, Bruno, Rosenior.

Maskell would get my vote, can never underestimate the value of a goalscorer as we still see today! He was a good lower league striker and we were down without him. Some decent finishes in amongst a general shit show.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Didn’t Peter Smith actually win it in 95 or 96? Or was that Junior Seagull player of the year?!

We’ve always loved a right back as fans - Smith, the FG, Whing, Calderon, Bruno, Rosenior.

Maskell would get my vote, can never underestimate the value of a goalscorer as we still see today! He was a good lower league striker and we were down without him. Some decent finishes in amongst a general shit show.

Smith won it in 1994/95.

The last leading scorer to win it was Adam Virgo in 2005.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
After a disappointing first year at the club, it’s got to be Stuart Storer for me.

Ignoring (if you can) the last Goldstone goal, he was immense all season and his efforts on the pitch epitomised the efforts off the pitch. He totally ‘got’ what we were fighting for.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Smith won it in 1994/95.

The last leading scorer to win it was Adam Virgo in 2005.

Thought so. Smith was a real breath of fresh air at the time.

That's an interesting fact about the leading scorers. Looking back, it seems ridiculous that Glenn never won POTS at least once. We would not have won promotion from League One or years later won promotion to and then survived in the PL in the first two years without him.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Very difficult to remember now who played consistently well across the whole season. I thought Minton was class - at our level, and when he wanted to. We had some great youngsters coming through like Mayo and Johnson. I thought Morris, Baird and Maskell were great but in the end like others I voted for Storer because in each match he just seemed to have the fighting spirit that we needed at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here