Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Is this April the first again?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There’s nothing with Crystal Palace. Nice place. It’s to the south of there it gets grim, Selhurst park and Croydon.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's got some fantastic shops, cosmopolitan (even Venezuelan!) restaurants and a couple of really nice parks (with the tower in the background). The views over London are spectacular especially from Cypress Road - where my mum grew up.

Surprised somewhere like Finchley or Muswell Hill didn't win but don't judge a run-down football stadium with a supermarket attached to it that isn't even in Crystal Palace before judging. :)

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
By South London standards, the Crystal Palace area is quite pleasant. The park is decent, with the famous dinosaurs, and the Bowl was a great venue for open-air concerts. Really some enterprising company should try to rebuild the Palace itself, only from slightly less flammable materials this time.

The so-called Eagles aren't anywhere near the location from which they take their name, but South Norwood doesn't have quite the same ring. And a picture of that slightly tatty-looking bird perching on the Norwood clock tower as a club crest would be somewhat undramatic, although much more in keeping with the drab and dismal surroundings of Selhurst.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
"Proof that SE19 is alive and kicking are the fortunes of Crystal Palace FC, aka the Eagles, who are taking wing under Patrick Vieira,"

Hmmm.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Having worked at South Norwood and then Croydon police stations for a number of years, I can indeed confirm that comparing the Crystal Palace Triangle with the area where Crystal Palace football club resides, is more than a little like comparing chalk with cheese!!!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
London generally is just so overrated.

Great for day out, but to live there? Expensive, polluted, congested and overcrowded

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
London generally is just so overrated.

Great for day out, but to live there? Expensive, polluted, congested and overcrowded

I enjoyed living in London, plenty to see and do, great nightlife.

Although your comment did make me recall a rather old joke.

What have Cockneys and Mushrooms got in common ??
They both have big heads and live in shite.
(this can apply to most towns)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As a kid my family lived in SE19 for a while. Compared to most of south London it is a paradise!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A mate of mine lives there and it is very nice. Decent pubs, places eat, the Park and a high street that has a homely feel to it. That the area is associated with "that" football club seems a real shame.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A mate of mine lives there and it is very nice. Decent pubs, places eat, the Park and a high street that has a homely feel to it. That the area is associated with "that" football club seems a real shame.

A real shame. Although I more associate the shittier areas of South East London/Surrey as Palace territory. No mark holes like Molesey, Croydon, Purley, Sutton etc.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I lived in Crystal Palace for 6 months. It's not Selhurst and it's not Croydon. As a place, it's ok. It's not the worst.

What was the worst was living there in 1990 when Palace got to the Cup Final.

Being stuck deep in enemy territory was bad enough, but the red and blue decorations in every shop window magnified the torment.

Suffice to say, Lee Martin will always have a special place in my heart.

An alternative outcome doesn't bear consideration.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've never been to Crystal Palace the area, but based on that article it sounds very middle class. Which is the only time you'll ever see Crystal Palace and class in the same sentence.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The article seems to be mistaking Gipsy Hill and Upper Norwood with Crystal Palace.

None of which have anything to do with the are where the football team play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here