Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Scouting and new head scout

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Apparently we've nicked a scout from Blackburn Rover:

Bulmer appointed as Brighton's scouting boss for centre backs.

I thought this was interesting, I didn't know this:
Interestingly, Brighton organise their scouting according to player positions, rather than geography, with the four Senior Scouting Managers each overseeing a different area of the team. Bulmer, for example, will be responsible for scouting centre-backs for the first team, while Coe oversees central midfielders.

The new system was implemented by former Technical Director Dan Ashworth and CEO Paul Mullen. The quartet of Senior Scouting Managers each oversee a pool of scouts, produce player reports and work closely with the club’s recruitment analysts.

Three Scouting and Intelligence Co-ordinators also help to compile initial shortlists of players for the Senior Scouting Managers and both objective (data) and subjective (mainly scouting reports) measures are used,

(Mullen is the COO)

So WTF do the strikers team do?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So WTF do the strikers team do?

It's an especially timely point to make, but I'd wager that they're just as competent as the CB, FB and midfield scouts, but just not required to be as busy.
Bloom finds ways of making his money go further and, given fees and wages for strikers are grossly inflated as against other positions, one way of doing this is to have fewer strikers in the squad. This has consistently been the case since we've been in the PL.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Problem is that Lord Baden Powell was the Chief Scout for strikers and the club haven't noticed he's been dead for a few years.

Lord Baden-Powell wrote a magnificent book called "Scouting for Boys" not so sure what sales of it would be in this day and age.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If you're scouting centre backs you'd think you might notice the opposition forwards as well? Maybe our striker scouts are on strike!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Problem is that Lord Baden Powell was the Chief Scout for strikers and the club haven't noticed he's been dead for a few years.

I presented his missus with a basket of fruit at Withdean in 1966.

Attachments

• Lady Baden Powell 1966 Withdean.jpg
    Lady Baden Powell 1966 Withdean.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 412

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Are you suggesting that whoever scouted Nunez and whoever else we didn't land are no good?

I know. I'm sorry. I'll go in the corner and say 'sorry for doubting the club' 1,000 times.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know. I'm sorry. I'll go in the corner and say 'sorry for doubting the club' 1,000 times.

Oh you can doubt the club, but I reckon it’s more about budget / ability to get deals done than scouting

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I presented his missus with a basket of fruit at Withdean in 1966.

Ha! That wasn't July 23rd 1966 was it? The same day as England played Argentina in the World Cup? If so I was there as well! I seem to remember we did a re-enactment of the Siege of Mafeking; we (1st Lancing Cubs) were part of the relieving force. (You were a Sixer by the looks of the bands on your sleeve. I never reached such lofty heights.). At the end of the afternoon it was announced that England had won and we all threw our caps in the air. Happy days!

EDIT: OnTheLeftWing, formerly of this parish, was also there.

EDIT2: I'm sorry everybody, that really had nothing to so with the Albion's current and future recruitment set-up did it?

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

perhaps the scouts are doing just fine, and presenting a constantly updated list of strikers- its just the buying them bit that has gone awry-I doubt the scouts negotiate-they would just say these players fit what we need- its up to others to go and get them surely?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ha! That wasn't July 23rd 1966 was it? The same day as England played Argentina in the World Cup? If so I was there as well! I seem to remember we did a re-enactment of the Siege of Mafeking; we (1st Lancing Cubs) were part of the relieving force. (You were a Sixer by the looks of the bands on your sleeve. I never reached such lofty heights.). At the end of the afternoon it was announced that England had won and we all threw our caps in the air. Happy days!

EDIT: OnTheLeftWing, formerly of this parish, was also there.

EDIT2: I'm sorry everybody, that really had nothing to so with the Albion's current and future recruitment set-up did it?

Absolutely! The kiddie who ran to the middle of the pitch and started the Grand Howl was me!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here