Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crawley Town no longer officially exist

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I’ve got no truck with them beyond the point of order they disrupted the footballing space time continuum by existing as a league entity between us and Palace but I’m actually starting to feel sorry for them.

This has got absolute nightmare written all over it.

https://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/2022/april/wagmi-united-complete-takeover-of-club/

WAGMI United are effectively a trading platform for NFTs and their intention here is to sell NFTs to people rather than shares as the primary revenue stream to provide for day to day running of the club. Fans or just investors wanting a piece of a sports franchise will buy them instead of traditional shares. Not sure whether doing so allows them to have a say in the running of the club a la the ill-fated Ebbsfleet United scenario but boy does this have ‘crock of shit’ written all over it.

My favourite part is a quote from one of the new owners claiming there is virtually no downside if this fails. Good luck with that!

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Blockchain-based DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations) where members have a share and a say are a pretty interesting concept for ownership of sporting clubs/franchises. There's at least one DAO in the US looking to buy an NBA team: https://fortune.com/2021/12/16/can-...ports-nba-krause-house-pelicans-aron-solomon/

Obviously a crapton of challenges in terms of how decision-making is governed, but just imagine how much more fun NSC polls would be :)

Probably not in my lifetime, but a Premier League full of teams owned by supporter DAOs rather than uber-rich ethically-dubious individuals would be pretty cool.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Wow. Includes a generous £10,000 donation to the Charity Foundation. Even in Football League terms, for 'generous' read 'chicken feed'. Bottom division or non-league obscurity beckons.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My two minute due diligence shows that.

The three characters behind this look to have been behind a 2018 company called unblockable, which appears to no longer be trading, despite an initial $5m investment.

They have a different attitude to business failures in the US, but this has dodgy written all over it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My two minute due diligence shows that.

The three characters behind this look to have been behind a 2018 company called unblockable, which appears to no longer be trading, despite an initial $5m investment.

They have a different attitude to business failures in the US, but this has dodgy written all over it.

I can't agree with that, by virtue of the fact I haven't understood a single word in this thread. :lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fans of Crawley Town should waste no time in registering the club as a Community Asset. If they don't know how to, there's plenty of help available. As a starter, they could do a lot worse than ask the folks at Lewes FC how to go about it

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Fit and Proper?

This, on the face of it at least, is not good news at all. Especially as Crawley seem to be doing relatively well.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It looks like an existential threat to the football club.

Oh well. It was nice having 2 league clubs in Sussex while it lasted.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
I won't pretend to know what the hell is going to happen at the club over the next 2 seasons ,but I'm sure as usual with Crawley town it won't be boring.
We've had drug cartels have a go at it we've had Thailand nightclub owners involved, we've just seen a Turkish steel magnate have a go for a few seasons and now a couple of American chaps hope to add 7 million new fans from all over the world to boost our 2 to 3 thousand fan base.
This will go one of 2 ways me thinks.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Is this not a late April Fool's joke? What the hell is this sentence meant to be about.

"If we're trying to build a community-club, and we are, then we have to build in mechanisms to hold ourselves accountable," said Eben Smith, WAGMI United co-founder. "So if Crawley Town Football Club doesn't get promoted to League One by the end of our second season, which we think is about 50/50, then we under-performed. If we underperform, Crawley Town fans should get to vote on who the next directors of the club are. We might run for reelection because it was clearly all Preston's fault, but we don’t just get to hold the fanbase hostage because our dad invented Cablevision."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I won't pretend to know what the hell is going to happen at the club over the next 2 seasons ,but I'm sure as usual with Crawley town it won't be boring.
We've had drug cartels have a go at it we've had Thailand nightclub owners involved, we've just seen a Turkish steel magnate have a go for a few seasons and now a couple of American chaps hope to add 7 million new fans from all over the world to boost our 2 to 3 thousand fan base.

Bad or worse?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Most NFT projects are either money laundrey or pyramid schemes

No more so than any other arbitrary collectable. The same might be said for fine art or diamonds. It's just a new spin on an old idea, sometimes people just want to show off their wealth.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Always wondered what happened to the Majeeds

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Am I the only one that has read the thread and the press release and actually ended up more confused than when I started.

I have no clue what this is about, apart from Crawley Town FC being bought out. I think.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here